Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #1
Unholy.roller
Unholy.roller began at the beginning.

Device: None
Let's put the mobile in mobil[e]ity accessibility!

Hello everybody!

I stumbled upon this community in my search for an accessible way to continue reading. I have a progressive disease that severely limits my mobility. Unfortunately, I am at a point where holding a tablet, let alone a dead dead tree is extremely difficult. I am on a quest for an E-book reader and accessories for mobility accessibility.

I am very interested in getting an E-book reader to mount to my wheelchair and that I can navigate using some sort of mouse or remote control. I've seen the page turner that clips on the kindle and I definitely need more functionality for navigation than that. Any recommendations for alternative input devices would be amazing. For example, something that would go beyond page turning and navigates home, selects apps/books too. I would love if it could support multiple devices (I.e. Footswitch and mouse). Bonus points if the e-reader can easily customize button inputs - my caregivers are not as tech savvy as I am (I will write code if I have to) but we will figure it out together 😁!

As far as the e-reader itself goes, l really want e-ink and at least 7". I will be reading in a variety of different lighting conditions from bright sunlight outside to dark rooms at night. Additionally, I would appreciate recommendations on flexible gooseneck mounts if anyone has any experience with them specifically for e-readers. For content I will be using library books and I would like to be able to access my kindle library.

Phew! that was a lot to read! Thank you so very much if you have made it this far. I hope we can figure out a solution together and any input or suggestion is immensely appreciated.

P.s. I am avoiding ipad/surface with eye gaze controls at the moment.
Unholy.roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:32 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Boox Note Air(X) + Desktop Holder + Boox Remoter
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:03 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy.roller View Post
Additionally, I would appreciate recommendations on flexible gooseneck mounts if anyone has any experience with them specifically for e-readers. .
I was going to suggest an iPad - library books, Kindle library (and other ebook stores), input work mostly already done for you (and VoiceOver to boot) - but you want eink and readable in bright sunlight, so I'm no use in that regard.

I do however have a gooseneck holder for my wheelchair that I've found more than satisfactory for a large iPhone, a Kobo Libra 2, and an iPad mini - and I've even put an iPad (in landscape orientation) into it for short periods, so it should be more than fine with a seven or eight inch reader. It's the Tryone Gooseneck holder. I liked it so much I bought another (and am thinking of grabbing a third in case it's discontinued). I do need to get assistance to tighten the base clamp but once tightened on a non-slick surface it stays put (I have it on one of the rails on my powerchair base)

Last edited by meeera; 08-18-2023 at 07:29 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:44 PM   #4
sublipri
sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy.roller View Post
Additionally, I would appreciate recommendations on flexible gooseneck mounts
As well as gooseneck mounts, it's worth considering something like this. They can rotate 360° at the base, which depending on your wheelchair setup and mobility could make it easier to position than a gooseneck. I use one for reading in bed with a Kobo Sage it works great for that.

Maybe not suitable for your use case, but FWIW I control my Kobo with my phone using a Wi-Fi remote I've been working on. It might be possible for someone experienced with Kindle homebrew to make a build that works with jailbroken Kindles.
sublipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:28 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublipri View Post
As well as gooseneck mounts, it's worth considering something like this. They can rotate 360° at the base, which depending on your wheelchair setup and mobility could make it easier to position than a gooseneck. I use one for reading in bed with a Kobo Sage it works great for that.
Have you used one on a wheelchair? Where do you mount it and where did you locate the rigid elbow part that would poke out if it's not at full stretch?
Old 08-18-2023, 09:04 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Have you used one on a wheelchair? Where do you mount it and where did you locate the rigid elbow part that would poke out if it's not at full stretch?
Indeed, small children passing would lose their eyes! Only a goose neck will do. Some camera selfies holders can take a tablet. Also you can get more robust goose-neck clamp on microphone stands and then a reducer to fit the tablet holder of a selfie stick or stand.

I've three of the cantilevers (for lamps/magnifiers) that clamp on a desk or workbench and awkward on them. Useless on a wheelchair or mobility cart.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:36 AM   #7
sublipri
sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.sublipri can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I haven't. I thought perhaps some chairs would have a suitable place to mount it but I probably didn't think it through enough - my bad. I have it clamped to the top shelf of a lightweight service cart that acts as a portable side table.
sublipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:11 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublipri View Post
I haven't. I thought perhaps some chairs would have a suitable place to mount it but I probably didn't think it through enough - my bad. I have it clamped to the top shelf of a lightweight service cart that acts as a portable side table.
Yes, I could see it working well in a static setup.