Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2018, 02:30 AM   #1
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Exclamation Something Wrong With Screen After Update

Hi all,

After manually updating my Kobo Mini, a problem appeared with the screen.

(I am running version 4.10.11655)

(I updated to 4.10.11655 from 4.9.11314)

The problem occurs especially when I exit a book and return to the Home menu, or when I swipe to a 2nd page in settings.

However, nothing happens inside a book / during reading.

So, here is a description of the problem:

Some parts of the screen (e.g. bottom half, a corner, a random square near the middle) turn completely white / black, or distorted.

Or sometimes just a few lines (black and white) run through the screen.

As if the screen had been dropped.

But it hasn't.

Even though I can't see what's behind the "distortions", it if still fully responsive.

Also, when I take a screenshot and view it on my PC, there is nothing wrong with it!

It is getting really annoying.

Anyone else have this problem?

Can I fix it with a patch?

All suggestions welcome.

Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:54 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post

So, here is a description of the problem:

Some parts of the screen (e.g. bottom half, a corner, a random square near the middle) turn completely white / black, or distorted.

Or sometimes just a few lines (black and white) run through the screen.
I've seen something similar with my old Kobo Touch (or at least, my sister has, who is using the Touch). It looks like it's running out of memory or something... no idea.

Quote:

Also, when I take a screenshot and view it on my PC, there is nothing wrong with it!
You could take a regular picture with your camera/phone...
Quote:
It is getting really annoying.
Yes I can imagine... on the other hand, you did update to an unsupported firmware...

Quote:
No.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:00 AM   #3
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I've seen something similar with my old Kobo Touch (or at least, my sister has, who is using the Touch). It looks like it's running out of memory or something... no idea.

You could take a regular picture with your camera/phone...
Yes I can imagine... on the other hand, you did update to an unsupported firmware...

No.
OK.

But how are you so sure I cannot fix it with a patch?
Old 10-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Because patches aren't made like that. It's not like a patch that gets released to fix a bug in a game.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hi all,

After manually updating my Kobo Mini, a problem appeared with the screen.

Have you tried rebooting the mini?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Have you tried rebooting the mini?
Several times.

No difference.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
You can try Only Reading and My Books or Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen.
Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fix, kobo, mini, problem, screen