Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
Nachtkater
Nachtkater began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Updating after Jailbreak

Hello everybody,

I just bought a PW2 this week and was pretty fast annoyed of those stock, not exchangeable screensavers, so I deceided to root/jailbreak it.
So, having done this on some devices in the past already, from good ol' iPod Video to my old Galaxy Note 1, it was pretty simple and working flawlessly since.

Since it was shipped with 5.4.5 already, I had to downgrade to 5.4.3.2 before I ran the JB, screensaver hack, disabling of auto-update, ect...

But what about updating now? I mean, not that it would be really important right now, it works like a charm. Would I have to rerun the JB after each update (up to 5.4.4.2 is said to be supported in the JB thread)?
Nachtkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
For the time being you cannot downgrade from 5.6.1 (the newest update) to 5.4.4.2 or 5.4.3.2 so make sure you do not upgrade if JB and everything it makes possible is important for you.

Last edited by aceflor; 11-15-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: 3K. YAY !
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtkater View Post
Hello everybody,

I just bought a PW2 this week and was pretty fast annoyed of those stock, not exchangeable screensavers, so I deceided to root/jailbreak it.
So, having done this on some devices in the past already, from good ol' iPod Video to my old Galaxy Note 1, it was pretty simple and working flawlessly since.

Since it was shipped with 5.4.5 already, I had to downgrade to 5.4.3.2 before I ran the JB, screensaver hack, disabling of auto-update, ect...

But what about updating now? I mean, not that it would be really important right now, it works like a charm. Would I have to rerun the JB after each update (up to 5.4.4.2 is said to be supported in the JB thread)?
You would have to run **everything except** the jailbreak.
Only the jailbreak (and MKK, depending on which version of the jailbreak you used) survives the update.

The 5.6.1 exception to the above:
When you update to 5.6.1, then you have to manually install the files and manually make the changes described in each package's install scripting, the update_*.bin packages do not work with that version.

Also, keep in mind that even doing things manually does not mean that package will work -
Very few, if any of our packages are (yet) tested on 5.6.1 (unless you want to be the tester )

Your simplest choice is to just avoid the updating to 5.6.anything.

Last edited by knc1; 11-15-2014 at 07:06 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Nachtkater
Nachtkater began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thank you for this fast replies!
It looks like I just made this deceision on a pretty perfect timing, just read about 5.6.1 yesterday.
So basically, if I'd update up to 5.4.4.2, I had to reinstall screensaver hack and backdoor lock, thats not so bad. But I guess, I'll simply stick with 5.4.3.2 until there would be some crucial features added (and a jailbreak availiable )
Nachtkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
There be quicksand in that direction (going towards 5.6.x).
The more people we can reach before they step in it .....
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Nachtkater: FYI, 5.4.4.x is the PW1 branch, the PW2 one would be 5.4.5.x .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote