Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #16
Ian.M
Connoisseur
Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle 3 GB 3G
Alternatively, simply use CALIBRE to manage your ebook collection. You can either pre-convert EPUB to MOBI or let it do that on the fly when you send an EPUB to the Kindle, (which doesn't need any jailbreaks).

As the eink Kindles have quite primitive web browsers with restricted download capabilities, you cant download an EPUB directly, so side-loading your books is usually the best option.

However I do have my K3 jailbroken for other reasons with three different program launchers installed. KUAL for convenience, KITE for the ability to put script links into any Kindle collection, and Launchpad for quick access to MYTS and a few other utilities I may want to run from any screen.
Ian.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #17
Gruvarbetaren
Gruvarbetaren began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
Just follow tutorial from other thread and it will be very easy.
Which thread are you referring to?
Gruvarbetaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #18
Gruvarbetaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian.M View Post
Alternatively, simply use CALIBRE to manage your ebook collection. You can either pre-convert EPUB to MOBI or let it do that on the fly when you send an EPUB to the Kindle, (which doesn't need any jailbreaks).

As the eink Kindles have quite primitive web browsers with restricted download capabilities, you cant download an EPUB directly, so side-loading your books is usually the best option.
Will I be able to use all of the Kindle's features if I sideload my own EPUB converted to MOBI files?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruvarbetaren View Post
I wouldn't get a Kindle if I weren't able to read EPUBs on it. Better to find out before a purchase rather than later.
It can read EPUBS (with the reader you have been asking about), if that is your actual question.
BUT
That wasn't how you topic'd this thread, nor any of the things you have asked about.

- - - - -

Ah, presuming your rather new to these on-line forums ::
http://www.gerv.net/hacking/how-to-ask-good-questions/

- - - - -

Is your Avatar a self-image? Mine is.
I probably have you beat by at least a decade.

Last edited by knc1; 11-08-2014 at 08:17 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Gruvarbetaren: Which 'features' are you referring to?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #21
Gruvarbetaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It can read EPUBS (with the reader you have been asking about), if that is your actual question.
BUT
That wasn't how you topic'd this thread, nor any of the things you have asked about.

- - - - -

Ah, presuming your rather new to these on-line forums ::
http://www.gerv.net/hacking/how-to-ask-good-questions/

- - - - -

Is your Avatar a self-image? Mine is.
I probably have you beat by at least a decade.
AFAIK Kindle doesn't support EPUBs natively, but KOReader does.

The man in my avatar is Ludwig von Mises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Gruvarbetaren: Which 'features' are you referring to?
Like annotations, bookmarks, the dictionary, etc; what you expect to work with the books from Amazon's own store. I remember having poor experience with the Android Kindle app, but that might have been PDFs when I think about it.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Gruvarbetaren: Then yes, (mostly, X-Ray can be tricky if you care for that sort of thing) everything fancy works.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruvarbetaren View Post
AFAIK Kindle doesn't support EPUBs natively, but KOReader does.
Which is the add-in reader you have been asking about.

As I wrote above:
The Kindle supports EPUBs **with the reader you have been asking about**.

Here: **KOReader** refers to an add-in application for the Kindles (among other devices).

Its thread is at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209276
How to find its public repository:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...oratingWithGit

KOReader for the Kindle is not the only reader application we have here that supports epub, see also:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170436

Now if you wish to restrict yourself to those things which come pre-installed by Amazon, then you are in the wrong Kindle forum. This the 3rd party developer's forum.

This forum is all about the add-ins which we provide for the gray-scale Kindles.
(There is again, a different forum for the color Kindles.)

Last edited by knc1; 11-08-2014 at 08:32 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote