Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #31
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
athlonkmf, your links are broken.

I was really looking forward to a true night reading mode with a dark background and white or red letters. It's the only reason I haven't switched over to iBooks, despite it's superior ePub rendering qualities (as compared to Stanza, readMe, etc.). That, and the fact that I cannot wirelessly sync my books from calibre like Stanza provides. And for some reason, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, ePubs downloaded from MR in Safari don't give me the option to open in iBooks. That seems odd to me.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #32
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Generally nice application and I like it. It needs some work. Does anyone else find the page turns by tapping to be a little slow. The Kindle app zooms through page turns, ibooks seems to have problems. Page turns seem to hesitate and are slow compared to the kindle app.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #33
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Generally nice application and I like it. It needs some work. Does anyone else find the page turns by tapping to be a little slow. The Kindle app zooms through page turns, ibooks seems to have problems. Page turns seem to hesitate and are slow compared to the kindle app.
I guess there is a bit of hesitation, but I don't mind it. What I think is a little off is once the page does turn, it turns a little too fast.

Overall I agree a pretty solid first (for iphone) effort. Just give me:
1. the ability to set all 4 margins (and allow for the book title to be replaced by actual text)
2. Collections management
3. better sorting options on Bookshelf view.
4. The letter index on all list views - really can't believe this isn't there - Apple is usually pretty good about including that.
5. A way to set the orientation to lock for ibooks only.
6. Some sort of latest reads list.

I am coming from stanza. Stanza does some things better, ibooks does some things better. Think I will give ibooks an honest go for the time being.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #34
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
athlonkmf, your links are broken.
Just fixed them

Quote:
I was really looking forward to a true night reading mode with a dark background and white or red letters.
Ehm... that's already a builtin feature since like forever. You can set "white on black"-mode in the settings (General->accessibility).
If you set the Triple-click shortcut up for that mode, you can quickly change mode. When reading a black&white text (in any app, incl browser) you can then just tripleclick "home", and the whole screen turns negative. Black=white, white=black.

For iBook, if you're using sepia, it'll turn white on dark blue.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #35
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
i also get a lot of errors loading books like "..unable to load as the required resource wasn't available".

All in all I'll stick to the kindle app I think until a more stable version is out. I do like the Project Guttenberg public domain books from ibooks better than the same public domain book from the kindle store, so I hope they come out with another version soon.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
i also get a lot of errors loading books like "..unable to load as the required resource wasn't available".

All in all I'll stick to the kindle app I think until a more stable version is out. I do like the Project Guttenberg public domain books from ibooks better than the same public domain book from the kindle store, so I hope they come out with another version soon.
If out of copyright classics interest you, you really should take a look at the "hand crafted" versions you can download free here at MR. Generally speaking, they are better formatted than any of the free commercial versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #37
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Question

Has anyone found a way to lock iBooks in landscape, 2 page view? It doesn't make sense that there isn't but I just can't find it. I like to read in bed and if I tilt the iPad it goes to portrait mode.

Thanks.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #38
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
Has anyone found a way to lock iBooks in landscape, 2 page view? It doesn't make sense that there isn't but I just can't find it. I like to read in bed and if I tilt the iPad it goes to portrait mode.

Thanks.
The orientation lock above the hardware volume keys?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #39
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I'll try that. I never even noticed that button. Thanks.!!
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, but I'd seriously suggest downloading the iPad User Guide from the iBookstore (it's free) and reading at least the introductory stuff in it. You'll probably find all sorts of things that aren't obvious - I know I did.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #41
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Always new stuff to discover!
What I find jarring it that the volume keys on the iPad are on the opposite side from the iPhone...that and the orientation key on the iPad is a "mute" button on the iPhone.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeru View Post
This is looking pretty good on the iPad. Anyone try the sync feature?
- Joe
Yes, the syncing does work. It even syncs your bookmarks/highlights.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
The biggest problem I see so far is just the bare-bones basic handling of PDFs. iBooks will display the PDF and give you page thumbnails and that's about it. As far as I can tell, there's no way, for example, to access the TOC in the PDF. Goodreader has iBooks beat by a huge margin and still remains my reader of choice for PDFs.
I'll give another for Goodreader. It's gotten a lot nicer with the new update.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Yup works great. Of course, both the iPad and iPhone's iBooks needs to be bought from the same account. And you need to have connection.

Reading a book on the ipad and continuing on the iPhone and vice versa is going to be great.
They just have to be linked to the same account. I tried it with a book that I put on the iPad and iPhone and it did sync just fine. One thing I would love to see in iBooks is a switch to turn off 3G and wifi without having to open iBooks, sync the book, close iBooks, go to settings, turn off 3G and/or wifi and then have to back out of setting to then have to go back to iBooks.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanski View Post
Actually, iBooks syncs between my iPad and iPhone for all books!! - I've never bought a book through the Apple bookstore, but I can close a (de-drm'd epub) book I've added through iTunes on the iPad, and open it on the same page on the iPhone (a 3G)

This is really good news - and one up on Amazon!! In fact, it may have convinced me to upgrade to the next iphone - was looking at moving to Android

(Only tried epub though, don't know about anything else)
You have an iPad. Why would you want a phone that was Android based instead of an iPhone?