Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak Video on How To Do Firmware Upgrades

Dear All:

I realize that many of you are highly skilled and could do Firmware Upgrades in your sleep.

BUT... there are others that are relatively new and Astak wants to do a series of HELP videos to try to give clear instructions so all can learn!

In this video we have Amy demonstrating how to do a "by the book" approach to firmware upgrades on both the Pocket PRO and EZ Reader Basic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8USEOxj8P2M

Comments are welcome!! I think it is edited very well and Amy really nailed it!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
In the first part of video you could make a screen capture video showing somebody visiting the site, downloading the file and unzipping it. Then you can demonstrate formating an SD card and putting the file at the root of the card. You do not mention that important detail. I believe the update file must not be in any directory.

0:46
"SD card must be 16GB or smaller for ..."
Lots of people will not pay attention to the or smaller part and will complain loudly that they had to purchase very expensive card just to update the reader...
I think the sentence should be more like
"... you can use any SD card as long as it is smaller than 16 MB ..."

1:33
"you'l notice that screen says to press any key to update the ..."
Well, I think the screen says "OK to start, other key to cancel"

You might also consider using units without protective screen foil - it could give an impression that there is glare problem with the screen.

2:49
"You can take out the battery and then use the USB cable to charge the device"
I fail to understand that one. The battery is out. What I am charging? A reader without battery?
3:02
"... after that happens, please put the battery back in ..."
Again this leaves lots of room for misunderstanding.
Should I put the battery in while the device is connected to the power? Should I switch off the device before attempting to connect the battery?

You also might want to mention that after successful update the user should delete the firmware update file from the card.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
FAT16 is usual for 2 Gig and less cards and the update will work fine formatted in FAT16. Generally there is no need to format the card.

The caution about the state of the battery should be early. The unit should have a battery with a full charge or be plugged into the AC outlet prior to beginning the update. It is better to be safe than sorry.

No need to have to go through resetting the device if the instructions are correct.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Great feedback!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
In the first part of video you could make a screen capture video showing somebody visiting the site, downloading the file and unzipping it. Then you can demonstrate formating an SD card and putting the file at the root of the card. You do not mention that important detail. I believe the update file must not be in any directory.

0:46
"SD card must be 16GB or smaller for ..."
Lots of people will not pay attention to the or smaller part and will complain loudly that they had to purchase very expensive card just to update the reader...
I think the sentence should be more like
"... you can use any SD card as long as it is smaller than 16 MB ..."

1:33
"you'l notice that screen says to press any key to update the ..."
Well, I think the screen says "OK to start, other key to cancel"

You might also consider using units without protective screen foil - it could give an impression that there is glare problem with the screen.

2:49
"You can take out the battery and then use the USB cable to charge the device"
I fail to understand that one. The battery is out. What I am charging? A reader without battery?
3:02
"... after that happens, please put the battery back in ..."
Again this leaves lots of room for misunderstanding.
Should I put the battery in while the device is connected to the power? Should I switch off the device before attempting to connect the battery?

You also might want to mention that after successful update the user should delete the firmware update file from the card.
Dear Kacir:

ALL noted!! You are right on top of this and that is great. We will improve!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Robert, that video is for people who are already quite tech savvy. I believe that it should be dumbed down for people like me who don't know anything more than how to type a letter on MS Word.

For example, it is necessary for the consumer to update from time to time his firmware. But the firmware comes zipped. So the consumer needs a program to unzip it. Astak doesn't provide the program to unzip it, and Amy doesn't say where you could get one. So the URL of such a website should be shown on the screen.

(Personally, I think that such information should be in the user's manual. Not every customer is going to see this video.)

If Amy is not going to explain what FAT is and how it is relevant, she should not mention it.

Your Luddite pal,

GA
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I just noticed that the file was RAR not ZIP, which windows XP can handle.
I suggest Astak convert the file to ZIP (or offer a choice) to allow Windows users extract the file without additional software.
Nothing against RAR, I have it, which is why I did not notice this issue before.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suggest Astak convert the file to ZIP (or offer a choice) to allow Windows users extract the file without additional software.
Nothing against RAR, I have it, which is why I did not notice this issue before.
I would agree. They have to make their own version anyway with their logos. They could just as easy build a zip version. Windows has zip built in.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Toeknee
Enthusiast
Toeknee began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
Alternatively, Astak could include links to freeware utilities (such as 7zip under Windows) that can handle the filetype provided.
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Wouldn't it be even easier to just convert it to a .exe file to avoid having to use any other program? That way people don't have to think about it, just click on the file to extract. I notice quite a few other vendors are doing that.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeace View Post
Wouldn't it be even easier to just convert it to a .exe file to avoid having to use any other program? That way people don't have to think about it, just click on the file to extract. I notice quite a few other vendors are doing that.
Then that causes issues for Linux/Mac users, how will they extract a .exe? Best to just keep it as a .rar and let anyone be able to extract it.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeace View Post
I see your BillyG badge

exe is not portable.
zip has been around longer than rar so almost any OS can handle it without purchasing a 3rd party program (or trusting freeware).
There is absolutely no real reason that Astak could not put multiple self extracting versions up on their Web page aimed at the various OS

Server Disc space is cheap, they could also run a bittorrent tracker to control the distribution that way. I leave my seeds of the Baen CD's available (a Legal torrent use), a few more would not impact me much. All Astak needs to do is make an "Official" tracker site.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
I see your BillyG badge

exe is not portable.
zip has been around longer than rar so almost any OS can handle it without purchasing a 3rd party program (or trusting freeware).
There is absolutely no real reason that Astak could not put multiple self extracting versions up on their Web page aimed at the various OS

Server Disc space is cheap, they could also run a bittorrent tracker to control the distribution that way. I leave my seeds of the Baen CD's available (a Legal torrent use), a few more would not impact me much. All Astak needs to do is make an "Official" tracker site.
[pulling out eraser.... frantically trying to remove all traces....]

Good point.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote