Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Hollie
Hollie doesn't litterHollie doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505/RC
A book...made of paper?

I've had my reader since Christmas and love it. Couldn't imagine just how much I love it. Don't remember what reading was like before I got it. With that being said I was at a friends house the other day talking about books. She just finished "Your Heart Belongs To Me" and offered it to me to read. I didn't let it show but cringed on the inside. I have to hold a book again I thought. No more one handed reading? Maybe I can plug it in...I wonder if I could jam the book into the card slot. I could try the USB cable. If I stuffed it into the books binding maybe it would suck all the words into my reader. I mean I really need a book to read and this one was on my list. Maybe it won't be so bad. Maybe holding a book again will be therapeutic. I know I haven't had my reader long but it feels like a lifetime ago. Paper...really?
Hollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Hee Hee Hee....We have you now...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
you can't blow your nose on a 505 !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh boy, i know exactly what you mean... i actually found myself returning a book unfinished that a friend had lent me ; it was a very stiff binding and since it wasn't mine i didn't want to wreck it, but it would snap shut unless i held it really firmly, and i couldn't manage to forget about the object and just read the story !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I was visiting relatives over the weekend and picked up a long time 'round toit book. I even had my Kindle with me! It was ...odd...
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I had a pBook handed to me on the beach back in January.

We were on vacation and I asked this guy on the beach how he liked the pBook he was reading. He said he really liked the author and that particular book.

He then went on say how much he enjoyed reading on the beach, usually getting through a book a day. So I told him he needed an eBook reader. When he asked what that was, I hauled my Sony over for him to look at and he was delighted and said he was buying one as soon as he got back home.

Anyway, a few hours later he walked over to where my wife and I were sitting and handed me the pBook he'd just finished and again thanked me for showing him the reader.

And it really felt weird having a paperback in my hands. In fact, I occasionally found myself absentmindedly fumbling for the page turn button. It was a good book but I immediately started on an eBook the minute I finished the thing.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"new" habits seem to die hard ....
Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I would definitely rather be reading an ebook than a pbook.

Which is bad, because I have a whole bunch of pbooks on my bookshelf that need to get read.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
GeoffC

plus a Rebecca and Kidnapped that have been in your to-do-list for yonks...
Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Which is bad, because I have a whole bunch of pbooks on my bookshelf that need to get read.
Same here. I'm gonna end up buying the ebooks I'm sure.

Here's what I got:

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/PilotBob&tag=toread

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
plus a Rebecca and Kidnapped that have been in your to-do-list for yonks...
Kidnapped...I have no excuse. I have that as an ebook. But Rebecca I finally just bought after having it out at the library for 4 weeks and not reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Same here. I'm gonna end up buying the ebooks I'm sure.

Here's what I got:

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/PilotBob&tag=toread

BOb
Pshh, I scoff at your measly 15!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why, because I can (used to) hold off buying pbooks until I have read what I have you win? Fine, that's a contest I am happy to loose.

BOb
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And notice, several are parts of various series... which I don't like to start until I have all in the series available to me.

BOb
Old 02-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Why, because I can (used to) hold off buying pbooks until I have read what I have you win? Fine, that's a contest I am happy to loose.

BOb
Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #15
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
I use to do that too. Then I found eBooks and fictionwise... My iPaq was great for reading and I didn't even need to turn on a light at night, I never recovered. My Cybook has replaced the iPaq now, but after 5 yrs of reading electronic, I just can't go back to paper.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote