Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
Jenny_China
Jenny_China began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Kindle paperwhite - how to connect to calibre

Hello!

I'm new to this community. I'm sorry that my first message is to ask for assistance.

I've been given a kindle paperwhite as a gift and as recommended I've downloaded dropbox and calibre but I simply can't work out how to connect them to the kindle itself so that I can transfer my books. Each time I connect the cable the kindle responds with USB charging mode and it simply won't allow me to "see" it on the computer!

Many thanks
Jenny_China is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you connect your Kindle to your PC using the USB cable, it should appear as an external drive on your PC. If it doesn't do so, try using a different USB port and a different USB cable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_China View Post
Hello!

I'm new to this community. I'm sorry that my first message is to ask for assistance.

I've been given a kindle paperwhite as a gift and as recommended I've downloaded dropbox and calibre but I simply can't work out how to connect them to the kindle itself so that I can transfer my books. Each time I connect the cable the kindle responds with USB charging mode and it simply won't allow me to "see" it on the computer!

Many thanks
Is this a brand new kindle, or a used one?

Like HarryT says, your first step is to make sure the USB cable is good ( can you hook up a phone, or digital camera or similar to see if that works ).

if the cable works, can you try restarting the kindle just in case?

With the kindle on the home screen, you can hold the power button down until a popup comes up, asking if you want to reboot.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Welcome Jenny_China! We all look forward to your contributions. All the advice you have received so far is good. I have a new refurbished Paperwhite 2, which makes me think I can relate a bit about your confusion! So I might take a different approach to your question.

Calibre doesn't really make an overt display of 'seeing' a connected ereader. There is no message that says something like "eReader detected". On a PC, at least, with your PW physically connected, you might want to R-Click a book in your Calibre library, and from the pop up window, if the "Send to device" option is not grayed out, select it. Yet ANOTHER pop up menu will appear and then select, "Send to Main Memory". If any of the options I described are grayed out, then Your PW is not properly connected.

The book will be sent to the kindle once the selections are made. When you eject the kindle from the PC, your book should appear in the PW. Hope this helps.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 08-12-2017 at 11:28 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Calibre doesn't really make an overt display of 'seeing' a connected ereader.
True, but all bets are off if the Kindle's not showing up as a drive on the PC.
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Jenny_China
Jenny_China began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Good afternoon all!

Following your advice, I ordered a new cable from Amazon on speedy delivery, it's just this moment arrived and I've connected it to the kindle and it's instantly recognised it and showed it in the "my computer" area of my laptop!

I will now follow the instructions to transfer my books over!

Thank you so much for your help, I would never have thought it could be a cable problem.
Jenny_China is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Delighted to hear it. Yes, cable problems are common. Always a good idea to try using a different one in case of problems.