Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Users will like to see the content they create in books, in every device. Just as they love to see other content they create, in every device.
My guess is that many readers of digital books only use 1 device for most of their reading. Or if they do use more than one device, both devices are using the same software/vendor.

The vast majority of users aren't using multiple apps that use different formats.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
My guess is that many readers of digital books only use 1 device for most of their reading. Or if they do use more than one device, both devices are using the same software/vendor.

The vast majority of users aren't using multiple apps that use different formats.
And the vast majority of readers have no interest in annotating their books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODelphi View Post
Assume that we have removed the book's DRM using Calibre. We can turn the book into the file format we want. Then we can start reading with Moon Reader. Moon Reader allows you to back up to DropBox. I tried it on different devices. Unfortunately, it was not able to synchronize properly. So it's not very secure.

Therefore, the most definitive solution is for manufacturers to set a standard. But they will not be willing. :-)

Tell us! How are you doing it? What program are you using?

The text may have been a little long for some. But, it is quite descriptive. :-)
Users will like to see the content they create in books, in every device. Just as they love to see other content they create, in every device.
You are saying manufacturers should have a standard. Why would they want to? Why should they? Then there would be no reason for most people to stay in that garden. With the exception of here and other specialized forums most people use their devices straight out of the box and do not give a thought to highlights or any other form of creative content. On ereaders specifically, they buy them to read books on. Nothing else. If I remember correctly, I think it was determined than less than 10% of ereader owners format shifted. (Again that estimate may be way high.) I don't feel like forum searching for that data.

Now how do I do what? Bake a cake? Make a vase? Make a blanket? Decorate a pillowcase? Cook dinner? Wash the dishes? Read a book? Highlight a book?
Sorry, you asked a crafter and domestic engineer a vague question. I did know what you meant. Since, you decided to talk about everything in your post that was unrelated to highlights and format shifting, I shall answer in the same manner.
To bake a cake, I use a recipe from either my card files, my cookbooks (physical and e-books) or the internet. Several different formats there. I also use a variety of pans depending on how big the cake is or the design I need or want. Then I either use my big oven or my small oven, depending on the season and the size of the cake.
To make a vase, I was into plastic canvas at the time so I used plastic canvas, yarn and gems. Pattern out of a book. Now the pattern stayed the same, but the colors and gems changed to fit the person's decor. I don't have any of those vases left as they all went to other people.
To make a blanket, I crochet. I have also done pot holders. Blankets are made with cheap acrylic yarn and pot holders from cotton. Various sizes of hooks and plys of yarn.
Decorating a pillowcase: I embroider them using a variety of stitches and flosses. I have also decorated a tablecloth with embroidery yarn, beads and clear thread. Most of these are also in other homes.
Cooking dinner, I use a variety of foods, recipes (see baking a cake), pots, pans and small appliances depending on what fits my needs that day.
Oh I do my dishes by hand. The pans are soaking as I type this, everything else is air drying.
Reading books: where am I and what do I want to read. Classics are mostly on the Kobo, a bit of everything is on my basic non-touch kindle, if I want audio I use the basic touch model (older as the home button broke), cookbooks are on the kindle, kindle fire and my tablet, manuals are all on the tablet. For outside reading, I prefer an ereader or paper, for living room reading, anything will do, for bathroom reading I prefer paper books so I don't drown another ereader (yes I know I could get an H2O). I like reading in the bathtub. Now for most craft books (plastic canvas and cross stitch) give me a paper copy any day of the week.

Now I will tell you a little secret, I'm cheap so most of the ebooks were free anyway. Except for a very few books, nearly all my books and cookbooks were under $3. Most were $1 or less.

If I need to highlight an ebook, I will put it on my computer and copy and paste to word. Then I can put it where I need it, but it is rare I need to highlight.
Now if I am proofreading a book, I do tend to want a doc or txt file.
I get my books from various sources and unless it is Amazon or Kobo, the places usually have multiple formats. And since I am cheap, I usually don't pay for my reading books or at most $1.99. Since I doubt I will read most of them more than once I just pick it up wherever it is handiest. I prefer my basic non-touch kindle so I usually buy from Amazon.
No need to use Calibre or any other shifter.

As to your people like to see the content they have created across their devices, I would love to know how you arrived at this conclusion. Scientific studies, polls, surveys or something else. Personally, I have created a ton of stuff but 90% of it went elsewhere. As to all my college papers, they all eventually wound up in the trash.

Oh and PS, I have either 2 or three ereader apps on my tablet (but not kindle or kobo). I see no need for those two on my tablet. I mostly just read for entertainment on my ereaders so like at least 90% of the people, highlighting across gardens is a non-issue.
And I really don't want my habaneros next to my bell peppers. (Cross pollination)

Anyway, nice talking to you, now my dishes should be dry and I can finish cleaning the kitchen.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #19
ODelphi
Enthusiast
ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox N96
Quote:

Yes, this method works too.
ODelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And the vast majority of readers have no interest in annotating their books.
Bingo! I read on one device (with primarily one app) and don't annotate. I vary rarely even set a bookmark.

Readers just don't need the type of features the OP is envisioning. Academics do. And when it comes to an academic setting. Ebooks and ereaders just can't hold a candle to multiple physical books (full of physical bookmarks) spread out on a table within easy reach of the student/researcher. They might not ever.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Bingo! I read on one device (with primarily one app) and don't annotate. I vary rarely even set a bookmark.

Readers just don't need the type of features the OP is envisioning. Academics do. And when it comes to an academic setting. Ebooks and ereaders just can't hold a candle to multiple physical books (full of physical bookmarks) spread out on a table within easy reach of the student/researcher. They might not ever.
I typically only use bookmarks in cookbooks.

Agreeing with you on the physical books. There are a few fields where physical is better.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #22
ODelphi
Enthusiast
ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You are saying manufacturers should have a standard. Why would they want to? Why should they? Then there would be no reason for most people to stay in that garden. With the exception of here and other specialized forums most people use their devices straight out of the box and do not give a thought to highlights or any other form of creative content. On ereaders specifically, they buy them to read books on. Nothing else. If I remember correctly, I think it was determined than less than 10% of ereader owners format shifted. (Again that estimate may be way high.) I don't feel like forum searching for that data.

Now how do I do what? Bake a cake? Make a vase? Make a blanket? Decorate a pillowcase? Cook dinner? Wash the dishes? Read a book? Highlight a book?
Sorry, you asked a crafter and domestic engineer a vague question. I did know what you meant. Since, you decided to talk about everything in your post that was unrelated to highlights and format shifting, I shall answer in the same manner.
To bake a cake, I use a recipe from either my card files, my cookbooks (physical and e-books) or the internet. Several different formats there. I also use a variety of pans depending on how big the cake is or the design I need or want. Then I either use my big oven or my small oven, depending on the season and the size of the cake.
To make a vase, I was into plastic canvas at the time so I used plastic canvas, yarn and gems. Pattern out of a book. Now the pattern stayed the same, but the colors and gems changed to fit the person's decor. I don't have any of those vases left as they all went to other people.
To make a blanket, I crochet. I have also done pot holders. Blankets are made with cheap acrylic yarn and pot holders from cotton. Various sizes of hooks and plys of yarn.
Decorating a pillowcase: I embroider them using a variety of stitches and flosses. I have also decorated a tablecloth with embroidery yarn, beads and clear thread. Most of these are also in other homes.
Cooking dinner, I use a variety of foods, recipes (see baking a cake), pots, pans and small appliances depending on what fits my needs that day.
Oh I do my dishes by hand. The pans are soaking as I type this, everything else is air drying.
Reading books: where am I and what do I want to read. Classics are mostly on the Kobo, a bit of everything is on my basic non-touch kindle, if I want audio I use the basic touch model (older as the home button broke), cookbooks are on the kindle, kindle fire and my tablet, manuals are all on the tablet. For outside reading, I prefer an ereader or paper, for living room reading, anything will do, for bathroom reading I prefer paper books so I don't drown another ereader (yes I know I could get an H2O). I like reading in the bathtub. Now for most craft books (plastic canvas and cross stitch) give me a paper copy any day of the week.

Now I will tell you a little secret, I'm cheap so most of the ebooks were free anyway. Except for a very few books, nearly all my books and cookbooks were under $3. Most were $1 or less.

If I need to highlight an ebook, I will put it on my computer and copy and paste to word. Then I can put it where I need it, but it is rare I need to highlight.
Now if I am proofreading a book, I do tend to want a doc or txt file.
I get my books from various sources and unless it is Amazon or Kobo, the places usually have multiple formats. And since I am cheap, I usually don't pay for my reading books or at most $1.99. Since I doubt I will read most of them more than once I just pick it up wherever it is handiest. I prefer my basic non-touch kindle so I usually buy from Amazon.
No need to use Calibre or any other shifter.

As to your people like to see the content they have created across their devices, I would love to know how you arrived at this conclusion. Scientific studies, polls, surveys or something else. Personally, I have created a ton of stuff but 90% of it went elsewhere. As to all my college papers, they all eventually wound up in the trash.

Oh and PS, I have either 2 or three ereader apps on my tablet (but not kindle or kobo). I see no need for those two on my tablet. I mostly just read for entertainment on my ereaders so like at least 90% of the people, highlighting across gardens is a non-issue.
And I really don't want my habaneros next to my bell peppers. (Cross pollination)

Anyway, nice talking to you, now my dishes should be dry and I can finish cleaning the kitchen.
Such a thing may not be today.

It could be in the future.

But, if that happens, I have a bet, you use it too. :-)

Or, If you are not interested in text highlighting, you do not need to read long texts here. :-)
Old 06-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's precisely why, as an academic myself, the overwhelming majority of the books I use for my research are in PDF format. Good academic PDF apps on a tablet allow you to rapidly flip between multiple documents (or even different parts of the same document), and PDF annotation is permanent because it becomes a part of the PDF itself.

The needs of academic readers are completely different from those of fiction readers. I read fiction on my eInk Kindle. My Egyptology reference library is in PDF format on my iPad (and in paper on my bookshelves).
Old 06-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Such a thing may not be today.

It could be in the future.

But, if that happens, I have a bet, you use it too. :-)

Or, If you are not interested in text highlighting, you do not need to read long texts here. :-)
I can read any post I like. I happen to find the topic interesting.

Ok, now you have piqued my interest.
Why do you think highlighting will be mandatory in the future?
I understand that if I go farther with my degrees, there will be highlighting and annotating and assorted other note taking, in which case I like the rest of the posters in this thread will find a device or devices as the case may be that best suits my purposes at that time.
I already do use bookmarks and highlights and annotations, I know how to do it across multiple devices so I don't need some manufacturers standards.

I will give it that you can't highlight in the book specifically across Nook, kobo and kindles but there are very easy work arounds.
Down and dirty method: turn your creative content into a pdf and sideload to all devices.

Please enlighten me as to why we need a standard, when those that want to highlight and share across devices have already found a way.

This is coming from someone that once read a book on a k5, fire and Kindle for PC at the same time. Outside, inside and to see the pictures clearly.

Like I said earlier, in my side job I did a ton of highlighting. Why I nearly always asked for a doc or txt.
But then again right format for the task at hand.
I wouldn't use a spatula to whip egg whites or a whisk to flip a pancake, so why wouldn't I just use the device best suited to my needs at the time.

Now let me ask a general question.

Folks, do you think highlighting should be standardized across all devices?
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #25
ODelphi
Enthusiast

Open Annotation in EPUB
http://www.idpf.org/epub/oa/
If necessary, a standard can being created.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
And that's a good thing

A book with no way to override any of the publisher display choices is made out of paper (Possibly a pdf as well), one of the main advantages of eBooks is that you can change the settings to suit yourself.
The problem is that they override the CSS and you don't get a choice to have the CSS settings. That's not a good thing. You should be able to see the book as the CSS dictates. I agree that being able to override is a good thing but not when the overrides are all you get. I edit the CSS to what I like and when the overrides change that to something I don't like, then the app is garbage. There are apps like that on iOS.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #27
ODelphi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's precisely why, as an academic myself, the overwhelming majority of the books I use for my research are in PDF format. Good academic PDF apps on a tablet allow you to rapidly flip between multiple documents (or even different parts of the same document), and PDF annotation is permanent because it becomes a part of the PDF itself.

The needs of academic readers are completely different from those of fiction readers. I read fiction on my eInk Kindle. My Egyptology reference library is in PDF format on my iPad (and in paper on my bookshelves).
Therefore I'm going to turn my books into PDF. Unlike other book files, PDF files can really be "Portable".
Old 06-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #28
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Assume that we have removed the book's DRM using Calibre. We can turn the book into the file format we want. Then we can start reading with Moon Reader. Moon Reader allows you to back up to DropBox. I tried it on different devices. Unfortunately, it was not able to synchronize properly. So it's not very secure.

Therefore, the most definitive solution is for manufacturers to set a standard. But they will not be willing. :-)

Tell us! How are you doing it? What program are you using?

The text may have been a little long for some. But, it is quite descriptive. :-)
I use my Kindle if I'm reading something I know I'll want to highlight and take notes. The highlights save across all Kindle devices and apps, and since I can install the Kindle app on android and IOS I can read it with the highlights and bookmarks and notes on any device. If the book didn't come from Amazon originally, no problem, because I can email it to my Kindle cloud, and everything will sync across all devices.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Therefore I'm going to turn my books into PDF. Unlike other book files, PDF files can really be "Portable".
In some senses, yes. Bear in mind, though, that a PDF document is not (generally speaking) reflowable, but a digital representation of a printed page. If you have a PDF document that's formatted for an A4 or Letter page size, reading it on a device with a small screen won't be an optimal experience. I read my PDFs on an iPad with a 10.5" screen.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #30
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Open Annotation in EPUB
http://www.idpf.org/epub/oa/
If necessary, a standard can being created.
Ok so this does absolutely nothing for kindle users.

Tags
bookmarks, highligts, notes