Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Kobo's lousy search function

Does anybody agree the Kobo shop has just about the worst possible search function imaginable?
Probably because of my IP I'm routinely routed through to http://www.kobobooks.nl.

Then when I search for
"watson before i go to sleep" I don't really find Watson's novel "Before I go to sleep" very easily. The Dutch translation of it is at the top, but only as the *second* hit. Why on earth is "Ibiza to go or not to go?" by Rianne Verwoert the first hit?
And why don't I get the English version of the novel? It's in the shop, I found it some other way. But I don't feel like browsing page after page of irrelevant search results for this.

And this is just one example. In many other cases it really takes some time to find the title you want.
Whereas at Amazon I nearly always find the right title almost before I've finished typing it -- or even when I've misspelled it.

Really. What a lousy lousy search engine they have. It's almost as though they don't *want* to sell books.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's been criticized since Kobo first launched. It's better than it used to be, but I often have more luck using Google to search for books on Kobo.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When I sesrched the NL site for
Code:
Watson "before i go to sleep"
the desired book is the first item found.

Now yes, I am coming from a Canadian IP address.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Oddly enough my experience was different from PeterT's, though his search criteria definitely produced better results.

Knowing how to use a search engine, by using techniques such as placing phrases in quotation marks, will almost always produce better results. This is because computers are not very good at figuring out natural languages so they aren't very good at figuring out which words really ought to go together.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Code:

But you are cheating by placing "before I go to sleep" in quotes. Shouldn't the computer figure out what I mean? Isn't that why the DWIM instruction was invented decades back?

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Surely though, DWIM means searching for the term WATSON along with the term "before I go to sleep".
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Does anybody agree the Kobo shop has just about the worst possible search function imaginable?
Probably because of my IP I'm routinely routed through to http://www.kobobooks.nl.

Then when I search for
"watson before i go to sleep" I don't really find Watson's novel "Before I go to sleep" very easily. The Dutch translation of it is at the top, but only as the *second* hit. Why on earth is "Ibiza to go or not to go?" by Rianne Verwoert the first hit?
And why don't I get the English version of the novel? It's in the shop, I found it some other way. But I don't feel like browsing page after page of irrelevant search results for this.

And this is just one example. In many other cases it really takes some time to find the title you want.
Whereas at Amazon I nearly always find the right title almost before I've finished typing it -- or even when I've misspelled it.

Really. What a lousy lousy search engine they have. It's almost as though they don't *want* to sell books.
agree it is pathetic - one way around it is to modify the address, where you must use %22 for the quotes, + to separate the search words query, and various tags for the things you want, linked with &. For instance to find your book in English the following should work:
http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...+sleep%22&l=en

I don't think kobo likes it if you put both author and title in the same search string. If you remove the quote around the search terms they will be treated as an OR, while with the quotes it will search for all terms.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I think the search function might be improved with the new version of the Kobo site, which I know not everyone is getting right now. When I search for "watson before i go to sleep" (without the quotation marks) I get exactly one result - S.J. Watson's Before I Go To Sleep.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Am I the only weirdo who rarely uses search facilities on shop websites? I just do this:

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...Akobobooks.com
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Code:

I tried it and got the French translation first. The next nine results on the first page are from the same author, but still in French. Also, I can't select the language on the left as I use to do.
I seldom put the author name and book title in the search field, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Am I the only weirdo who rarely uses search facilities on shop websites? I just do this:

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...Akobobooks.com
Never thought of that. I'll try to keep that in mind for next time
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote