Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #1201
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by institute View Post
A Mac can do this. Set your Mac to "wake for network access" in the Energy Saver preference pane in System Preferences. Here is a link to an Apple Support article on the subject:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774
Thanks for the tip. New to Mac so this is very helpful!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #1202
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Meemo - out of curiosity, where do you have your folder. I have mine in Public because I was using Stanza to view my catalog and it needed it there to do this. However, since I am no longer using Stanza - I feel I should move it, but to where?

Lastly, how do you move the folder out of Public and to somewhere else?
I assume you can just drag it from the public folder - mine is it's own folder in the "root" directory (for lack of a better term) - when I open our Dropbox I see folders for Documents, Music, Apps, Photos, Public, etc. That's where I put the Calibre folder as well.

I'm not 100% sure the Public folder was the issue, but here's where I'd read about it http://calibre2opds.com/2012/04/30/d...re2opds-users/ - and here's where I first saw the directions for creating an OPDS catalog with Calibre and Dropbox http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/create-...-opds-dropbox/ . I don't know whether it's the "public" part or the OPDS part that creates an issue (I'm sure there's an explanation in those posts somewhere but when things get too deep, well I get a little ...) - there's talk about html files and encrypting them - I know we can send links to family & friends so that they can see the things in our Public folder on Dropbox (videos and pics), maybe that's what they're referencing. I don't really know.

I also don't know whether all the steps outlined in these articles are performed by Marvin, or if it's a different process to get the OPDS catalog within Marvin. I created it easily enough without my library being in the Public folder, and it worked - it just makes me nervous because I'm just not educated enough about all this stuff at this point. So until I learn something more definitive I've deleted the OPDS catalog & I'll stick with what I've been doing - accessing Calibre via wifi when I'm home, and via Dropbox if I'm not.
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #1203
eVeNtInE
eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
eVeNtInE: I'm hopeful to have this feature before the iPhone version actually.
Great to hear!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #1204
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Actually what I am asking for is folder fantasy, subfolder Butcher. I am aware that books can go in multiple folders.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #1205
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I don't know whether it's the "public" part or the OPDS part that creates an issue
Just some scene-setting - the point of the Dropbox public folder is that it's contents are available to anyone with the right URL and the reports were about situations where the user's URLs had been shared & become generally known. The problem is that to use an OPDS feed, you need to access a server, which can be Calibre itself on your local network, but from elsewhere, an easy option is to use a Dropbox public folder containing the files that calibre2opds creates/copies, as long as you don't share your personal URL to your index.xml.

There are other options, but they're more techie... For instance, I have my firewall set to allow connections to a RasberryPi (a tiny low power computer) that's serving a copy of my Calibre db via a calibre-server process, so I can download books when I'm out away from home.
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #1206
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have a media server that runs 24hr/day anyway. I just have Calibre run all the time, so I have access around the clock.

Art
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #1207
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Hi, I've been following this thread off and on, and I know this has been mentioned but I'm too lazy to re-read the whole thing, sorry.

So my question is: is there a plan to implement auto-hyphenation rules for languages other than English? I'm pretty happy with iBooks on the whole, but it annoys me every time it cuts a French word at the wrong place (in French, you can only cut between syllables).
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #1208
mapabl
Enthusiast
mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: iPad Air, iPad Mini. Nook Glo, Kindle Paperwhite,
I'm in love with Marvin...

Since I met Marvin , I rarely use iBooks anymore. The one thing I did love about iBooks is the ability to pick up and read on my iMini and then could follow thru later on my iPad and iBooks knew exactly where I left off. Is it out of the realm of possibility to have this feature on Marvin, ever? Otherwise, Marvin's my man!! Very nice ereader. . Mary
Old 04-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #1209
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapabl View Post
The one thing I did love about iBooks is the ability to pick up and read on my iMini and then could follow thru later on my iPad and iBooks knew exactly where I left off. Is it out of the realm of possibility to have this feature on Marvin, ever?
This feature (iCloud syncing) will be available in Marvin pretty soon -- as soon as Marvin for iPhone comes out, which should happen within 2-3 months from today.

(And unlike iBooks, Marvin will later also offer cross-platform synchronization, via Dropbox, after Marvin for Android is released.)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #1210
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVeNtInE View Post
Sorry to be a bother, but any update on when this feature might arrive?
In the meantime whenever there is need for off-line dictionaries (definitions or translations) I would use multitasking option.

There are a lot of good multilingual off-line dictionaries for free in app store.

It is pretty quick to get definition while reading in Marvin or any other reader there, just one click or swipe away to get into the dictionary on multitasking bar and then pasting the word, but it could be even a bit quicker if copy function in Marvin was not behind "share" so we have to click twice to copy selected word.

Or maybe there could be even an option in Marvin to automatically copy selected word for those who would like that way ?!

For majority of words, though, it is probably as quick or even quicker if we just type them manually instead of copy/paste-ing.

Last edited by markom; 04-16-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #1211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapabl View Post
Since I met Marvin , I rarely use iBooks anymore. The one thing I did love about iBooks is the ability to pick up and read on my iMini and then could follow thru later on my iPad and iBooks knew exactly where I left off. Is it out of the realm of possibility to have this feature on Marvin, ever? Otherwise, Marvin's my man!! Very nice ereader. . Mary
Since I met iBooks I rarely use iBooks. It's nothing to do with a better reader it to do with how bad iBooks is at using the screen space. but I do have to say that Marvin is better for just plain reading of text.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #1212
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I just really like the fact that there's so much color choice in it. Similar to that of what Readability offers on their website, except more. I can't stand just plain black on white, white on black, or the ugly Sepia that the others offer. Right now I have Anti-Flash White and Purple Taupe that invert between the night and day settings. Really like it.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #1213
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
markom, soon you'll be able to create and add your own commands to the "tap and hold" menu. For instance, if an external dictionary app supports URL schemes, you'll be able to send words and text from Marvin to that app without even needing to copy it.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #1214
andy88
Enthusiast
andy88 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Mirror of Calibre Library on Dropbox ?

Could someone explain how I could "Mirror" my Calibre Library on Dropbox.

I have been able to access it (the Calibre Library) via OPDS on my iPad but I can't Mirror it on my Dropbox. I am using a Mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #1215
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy88 View Post
Could someone explain how I could "Mirror" my Calibre Library on Dropbox.

I have been able to access it (the Calibre Library) via OPDS on my iPad but I can't Mirror it on my Dropbox. I am using a Mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Two pages back in this very thread. (Please do take the time to use the search function...)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1184 (and the following few posts).
Closed Thread