Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Vormulac
Vormulac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Kindle 3G
Kobo Touch "disk full" error?

Hello folks,

I have been enjoying my Kobo Touch for the last couple of months, but today when I tried to download a new book (over the wifi, not usb) I got an error message telling me the disk was full and to delete some books. Only about 480Mb of the internal memory is actually being used, so this is clearly nonsense. Still, I moved a load of books to the sd card and tried again and got the same problem.

Has anyone else found this problem or a solution to it?

Cheers!

V.
Vormulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormulac View Post
Hello folks,

I have been enjoying my Kobo Touch for the last couple of months, but today when I tried to download a new book (over the wifi, not usb) I got an error message telling me the disk was full and to delete some books. Only about 480Mb of the internal memory is actually being used, so this is clearly nonsense. Still, I moved a load of books to the sd card and tried again and got the same problem.

Has anyone else found this problem or a solution to it?

Cheers!

V.
I've only received that message by actually filling up all 1400MB on my KT.. Perhaps something other than disk space that is necessary to 'register' a book in the KT has become full.. Not sure what that could be though.. I am assuming your ~480Mb of use is what you see in Device Information under Settings.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
too many files in a directory? (especially the root ?)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
too many files in a directory? (especially the root ?)
The internal drive is formatted as Fat32, and there should be no restriction like that.
But on some strange reasons there is something that stops you at putting more than roughly 7500 files into one folder, and the .kobo/images folder can reach that limit after just 1500 books.
But I thought in this case Kobo just does not create any more pictures...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
The internal drive is formatted as Fat32, and there should be no restriction like that.
But on some strange reasons there is something that stops you at putting more than roughly 7500 files into one folder, and the .kobo/images folder can reach that limit after just 1500 books.
But I thought in this case Kobo just does not create any more pictures...
I can confirm that.. If your images folder fills up, any ebooks added to the device regardless of method will be processed with a 'blank' bookcover and no associated files will be created in the image folder. This however did not generate a "Disk Full" error in the .16 firmware.. Maybe it's something that happens in .17.. I have yet to return to filling up my device to that point.
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Vormulac

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter folks, I have found something interesting.

When I was attempting to do this download I was at work and using the 'wifi hotspot' function on my phone to connect - now, I've never had a problem with this in terms of functionality before and indeed my KT took the opportunity to stick a couple of updates on my Facebook while it was connected. However, as soon as I got home and connected to my home wifi, it sync'd and downloaded the book instantly with no problems at all. I don't know how big this book was in terms of file size, but I'm wondering if there is a limit somewhere in the 'hotspot' app that means it won't download files over a certain size and the KT was interpreting this failure to download as due to a dearth of disk space?

Anyway, it seems to be working now. Incidentally, has anyone else given up on having an SD card installed because it slows the system down and 1000 books should be enough for anyone?

Cheers!

V.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Xennex1170
Addict

Personally I've kept PDFs to a minimum preferring to fill my KT with epubs and RTF files with the occasional CBR. I have a 8GB microSD installed that I have no problems with and only have about 10% of it filled. I update my signature from time to time so you can see how much I've installed on my KT.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Just a guess. Maybe some corruption on the drive due to improper removal? Always the best solution is to use a storage card because if the main memory has to be restored to factory your going to loose all your books. At least the ones you dont have backed up on the computer.

Good luck

Hope you find a solution.

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Vormulac

I found having the sd card in the KT very severely slows it down - ok, it's not slow in real terms, but when compared to the Kindle which does everything instantly it brings on a touch of buyer's remorse!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
I found having the sd card in the KT very severely slows it down - ok, it's not slow in real terms, but when compared to the Kindle which does everything instantly it brings on a touch of buyer's remorse!
didnt think the kindle supported sd cards ?

how does the kindle and the kobo do in terms of speed without using external cards ?
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Vormulac

No, the Kindle doesn't use sd cards, but one of the few advantages I've found which the Kindle has over the Kobo is that it does everything really quickly; turning on, opening menus, returning to the home page, accessing the dictionary - it's all so swift you barely realise it's doing it. Compare the two and the Kobo seems positively sluggish in comparison, but significantly more so when the Kobo has an SD installed. It's why my wife prefers the Kindle, she has no patience even though I think she'd prefer the size, weight and interface of the Kobo.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I dont find that my touch is slow at all. I have over 3000 books on it and it seems to run fine. Pages turn fine. Searching for my books is quick as well.

At any rate thats just how it is for me. Everyone uses things a little differently.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
Vormulac

The Kobo and the Kindle turn pages at around the same speed, so once you're in a book there is very little difference (although I do find it can sometimes take more than one swipe or press to turn the page). It's the operation outside of actual reading that the Kindle does quicker - so in real terms there is no difference for the intended function, although if you had them side by side in a shop and were playing with them, the faster Kindle would appear to be the better piece of kit.

I was interested to note though that the Kindle wouldn't download pdfs through its browser, whereas the Kobo did quite happily.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I also can confirm that the Kindle is way faster in about everything (even in creating a highlight, which should be a strength of the Kobo because of the Touch!) except page turns.
Especially to press the home button takes long. If you bookmark the page (right upper hand), then open the menu (bottom middle) and click on "home" you are back home way faster, I wonder why that is...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Vormulac

Still, I guess as the Kobo was £69 and the Kindle was £149 I would be surprised if there wasn't more expensive hardware in there, like a faster processor.
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not complaining about the Kobo and of the two it's the one I use on a daily basis, it would just be nice if as well as being functionally better than the Kindle it was as well polished a product as the Kindle.