Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
joedubya
joedubya doesn't litterjoedubya doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Time to dump the NC...

Sad as it sounds, it'd definitely not working out for me as a reader. And it all comes down to the LCD display. I can't read more than 15-20 minutes without it getting to my eyes. I'm in IT so i'm in front of LCD's all day as well which prolly dosen't help. The biggest thing that gets to me is that since i use Aldiko Prem. i can set the color scheme to how i night read. WHich is green on black. Which is ok at first but it really gets to me especially since i can see the glow of the backlight. All the bells and whistles with it being rooted are a waste to me as i have found out. I definitely shoulda gone with the eink screen of the classic nook or the Kindle 3.

Regards,
Joe w
joedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Sorry to see you leave the fold. Maybe you'll consider one of the new Sony Readers as well. Hope you enjoy whatever device you go with.

Edit: Saw your post on the Kindle forum. Did you have to call a rooted NC a poor man's iPad? You tried something and decided it wasn't for you. Why bash the device that other people derive enjoyment from. We all know that reading on an LCD or an eink device is a matter of personal preference. I work in IT and stare at LCDs all day. I don't have an issue with reading for long periods of time on the device. That doesn't make your claim an invalid one.

Are you looking for folks in the Kindle forum to pat you on the back and tell you it's good you came to your senses? Then everyone will chime in about real readers read on eink devices. Yada, yada, yada. Then the usual cast of characters will go back and forth about lcd vs. eink and eyestrain or lack thereof.

Last edited by SCION; 01-27-2011 at 04:24 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Too bad, I love my NC. Of course, I also have a Nook Classic, and they compliment each other very nicely (daytime + commute/night time + poor man's ipad
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
joedubya
joedubya doesn't litterjoedubya doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Sorry to see you leave the fold. Maybe you'll consider one of the new Sony Readers as well. Hope you enjoy whatever device you go with.

Edit: Saw your post on the Kindle forum. Did you have to call a rooted NC a poor man's iPad? You tried something and decided it wasn't for you. Why bash the device that other people derive enjoyment from. We all know that reading on an LCD or an eink device is a matter of personal preference. I work in IT and stare at LCDs all day. I don't have an issue with reading for long periods of time on the device. That doesn't make your claim an invalid one.

Are you looking for folks in the Kindle forum to pat you on the back and tell you it's good you came to your senses? Then everyone will chime in about real readers read on eink devices. Yada, yada, yada. Then the usual cast of characters will go back and forth about lcd vs. eink and eyestrain or lack thereof.
heh, i knew that was gonna get me in trouble poor choice of words maybe. How about Baby Tablet Gotta understand i've been in IT almost 20 years so i gotta go by the specs and the capabilities of a given device. It is indeed a baby tablet Theres not much they can put under the hood to increase the perfotmance to that of the level of a Ipad. It would just get bigger and more expensive and it woould indeed be a tablet and not a ereader
joedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like Baby Tablet.
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Cgray
Cgray began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I like Baby Tablet.
Me as well-- the Ipad can do a lot, but beyond my issues with some of apples policies, I want a ereader that can do casual internet browsing and maybe, one day, hook up to a keyboard for memotyping and such.
That's pretty much the nook (with the exception of the keyboard), so it's good for my purposes.
Cgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
This is what worries me about the NC. I love the device, but my eyes are not happy campers after a while at a computer. I adore my nook wifi. I say trade it in for one!
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
Too bad, I love my NC. Of course, I also have a Nook Classic, and they compliment each other very nicely (daytime + commute/night time + poor man's ipad

boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

I haven't looked at that thread on the Kindle forum since I posted earlier. Wonder if "you know who" will use the OP's comments as an opportunity to give his spiel about the shortcomings of the NOOKcolor and why he got the Galaxy Tab.

JC

Last edited by SCION; 01-27-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedubya View Post
heh, i knew that was gonna get me in trouble poor choice of words maybe. How about Baby Tablet Gotta understand i've been in IT almost 20 years so i gotta go by the specs and the capabilities of a given device. It is indeed a baby tablet Theres not much they can put under the hood to increase the perfotmance to that of the level of a Ipad. It would just get bigger and more expensive and it woould indeed be a tablet and not a ereader
And, since when is being poor an insult? I think 'poor man's ipad' does give a good picture of what the Nook Color can do as a tablet and I like the Nook Color and think it's the best value in a tablet right now -- yes, exactly: poor man's ipad. Sounds like a good, solid, non-bashing description to me.

And, anyway, it's fine to bash objects here (just not people).

The last few years I've been finding that it is the harsh, detailed, criticisms of a product that give me the most honest information I need about whether to buy a product - all products have limitations, I want to know what they are so I can decide if they bother me. "I love it" reviews tell me absolutely nothing.

It doesn't bother me the slightest if a limitation I think is minor is thought by someone else to be a major problem worthy of derision and colorful complaint. And that in no way (no way at all!) indicates a problem with the person, psychologically or otherwise, it just means they have different, but equally valid, preferences and needs than mine.

So bring on the criticism of objects -- they usually help me find products I'll love.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

I wasn't implying that being poor is an insult. Referring to something as "poor man's ..." implies that those who can afford something more expensive should indeed purchase something more expensive. Or at the very least it implies that given the choice between a rooted NOOKcolor and an iPad, the iPad would be chosen every time if price were not a factor.

I DON'T WANT AN IPAD. I CAN AFFORD ONE. I DON'T WANT A GALAXY TAB. I CAN AFFORD ONE OFF CONTRACT.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
I sold my classic to buy the NC and have not regretted it for one minute. I can read all day and night on the NC without a problem. I love the fact I can read it in any volume of light. It is the most user friendly of all the devices I've tried (Sony, Kindle) included.

Each to their own.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
I wasn't implying that being poor is an insult. Referring to something as "poor man's ..." implies that those who can afford something more expensive should indeed purchase something more expensive. Or at the very least it implies that given the choice between a rooted NOOKcolor and an iPad, the iPad would be chosen every time if price were not a factor.
Perhaps (I think it is one of several valid interpretations), but that's a completely reasonable opinion to have. When giving one's opinion and review of a device, I think "IMO" is always implied, it need not be stated everytime. As it happens, it's not what I mean when I say that the NC is a 'poor man's iPad' -- what I mean is that it is a much better value, not that it is worse in every possible way (now, if the iPad were smaller and lighter than the NC, maybe ..... ).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

OK Maybe the phrase should be "discerning man's iPad". It's all good! I'll move on.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Personally I like my NC and don't want a iPad but the term "poor man's iPad" seems like a complement to the NC not a bash. Of course growing up poor may influence my views. Now-a-days, I too can afford the $ cost of an iPad. Just can't afford the "squeezed down feeling" I get from Apple products. It makes me feel like I'm in jail.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote