Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 AM   #1021
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I am still chewing away at the Leacock humor collection --- 24 complete books (all collections of shorts), plus a few remnants from magazines and online excerpts.

I have been unable to find free digital versions of "Funny Pieces" (1936) or "Here Are My Lectures" (1937).
Also missing in action "Hellements of Hickonomics " (1936) which should be a collection of verse.

I will have to do without those unless anyone has seen any out there in the wild.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-21-2017 at 05:06 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #1022
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
@Granny

TRL (Toronto Reference Library) has two copies. They don't circulate but TRL will let me photograph books. The Merril Library let me photograph all the Thorne Smith books and said that TRl has the same policy.

I'll be downtown next Monday and I'll stick my head in a see what I can do. The book is only 84 pages.

I'll also see if I can locate the two other items as well. The library's website only lists title not contents so I might be able to locate those items in the library as well.

A quick check turned up "Funny pieces : a book of random sketches (1936), 292p", "Here are my lectures (1938), 311p" and "Here are my lectures and stories (1937), 251p". All at TRL.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 04:57 AM   #1023
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@grumbles--- any assistance would be wonderful! But please only do that if you really really want to.

I want to "donate" to FadedPage / DPC any text they don't already have, so far I only have Winnowed Wisdom (retrieved from Digital Library of India). I'm waiting to hear from them what their requirements are.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-22-2017 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #1024
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Granny

It's not a problem to stick my head in at TRL. The "Hellements of Hickonomics" is only 84 pages and if there isn't a problem setting up would only take about half an hour. I get the table of contents of the other books.

Photographing a 300 page book at home isn't much of an effort, I have fairly efficient copy setup. Trying to do the same in the library with small portable equipment and trying not to irritate others is a different question. But I have done it before (all the Thorne Smith books!) and there are others I still plan to do.

The copy of the "Collected Poems of Wilfred Owen" from the Indian Library is missing pages 78 and 79. TRL has a copy of the same edition. One of the missing poems is "The Fates" and I have other copies. The other poem is just called "Sonnet" and I have no idea which one it is. The problem with all these online sites is the very uneven quality of the scans. Many of them a very slipshod with missing pages or pages that are out of focus or otherwise unintelligible. Many of the scans of Thurber and Parkinson at the Internet Archive are useless.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #1025
grumbles
Addict

Well, I did get to TRL this afternoon and aside from forgetting the piece of paper on which I scribbled the titles, things went well. I got the "Hellements of Hickonomics" and had no problem photographing all 84 pages. Well some problem, two pages are slightly blurred because the page moved while I was shooting them. They are legible but ScanTailor really butchered them.

The jpg files from the camera are about 240Mb and the raw files (these are uncompressed, unprocessed files but are only useful if you can handle Panasonic RW2 files) are about 15 times larger.
I use my Panasonic DMC-LF1 to shoot these. It's a 12Megapixel camera with 3000 x 4000 resolution. I prefer to use this camera because it is silent and I can control it with my Nexus tablet.

It took me about 12 minutes to photograph the book. I waited longer for it to retrieved from the stacks. I checked again and the the library policy allows me to photograph any book in the library as long as a) I don't disturb other patrons b) I don't use a flash c) I don't damage the book.

The files from ScanTailor are only 10Mb. There are 9 black and white line drawings in "Hellements". Since I want to go back to the library soon for the Oen book, I'll probably redo the substandard pages of "Hellements" although the jpg files are legible.

I'm surprised by how little of Leacock's work is available. I would have expected Gutenberg Canada to have far more of his work. His short stories were always part of the public school curriculum in the '50s.
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 04:51 AM   #1026
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

oooohhhh. I'm so happy. Feels like Christmas!

Please don't break your back for only 2 pages, I can transcribe manually if need be. Just pm me a download link, or we can work out some way to get the files into my hot little hands.

Yes, Gutenberg Canada surprised me too. But FadedPage.com has an extensive Special Collection of Stephen Leacock titles. FadedPage works with Distributed Proofreaders Canada, the site is only about 3 years old, but coming along nicely with over 3,100 titles now. I first found it two years ago when I did the Beatrix Potter omnibus; they were the only place in the world that had "The Fairy Caravan". I am a bit surprised that there isn't more cross-feed between FadedPage and Gutenberg Canada. FadedPage does have some links to Gutenberg Australia titles! Go figure...
Old 03-28-2017, 05:21 AM   #1027
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Never heard of FadedPage before. Great site, thanks!
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #1028
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Deleted - sorry, posted in wrong place

Last edited by AlexBell; 03-29-2017 at 08:21 PM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #1029
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Finally!

I have completed The Book of the Thousand Nights and One Night (Payne's translation). It's been a fun project, and I can't wait to read it, but now I have to convert it to ePub first (I'm almost done too, unless I decide to hyperlink all page/volume/story references in the footnotes...). Many thanks to GrannyGrump for her help with the last volumes!

For a preview of the full book, see this thread.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #1030
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I guess it's not finished, there's still Tales from the Arabic (3 volumes) and Alaeddin and the Enchanted Lamp. Let the fun continue!
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #1031
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Grumbles: you've probably found the Owen poems by now, just in case:
Sonnet:
http://ww1lit.nsms.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/c...ions/item/3337

The Fates:
http://ww1lit.nsms.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/c...ions/item/3355
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:26 AM   #1032
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

I am working on a large collection of "Spook" stories by E. F. Benson. This should be done in a week or so, but maybe I should wait to post it until it is closer to Halloween!

I am sorry to say that I can't get hold of about 20 of his supernatural stories that appeared in "The Flint Knife" (1988?), and in the 5-volume collection from Ash-Tree Press. Some of those were in magazines, but some magazine archives are missing those issues, and archives later than 1922 are blocked. The others might have been posthumous publication.

Anyway, a toothsome Halloween treat. My dream life is so interesting while I am building this book!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #1033
grumbles
Addict

@BookCat

Yes, I've found all the complete Owen poems While all the poems are PD, none of the commentary is and without the commentary, the fragments don't make much sense.

Apologies for the delay in replying. While I have an almost infinite stack of books to make into ebooks, I've spent this summer reading instead. The Markham books are finished (sort of) and I've got more to get to work on.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #1034
grumbles
Addict

@Granny

TRL (Toronto Reference Library) has "The Flint Knife". I haven't forgotten about the Leacock books, if you still want them but as I said in my previous message, I've spent the summer reading.

Open library has "The Collected Ghost Stories of E F Benson" available to borrow. The following are the contents of that book.

"Foreword by Joan Aiken", "Introduction by Richard Dalby",
"The Room in the Tower, "The Dust-Cloud Gavon's Eve",
"The Confession of Charles Linkworth",
"At Abdul Ali's Grave", "The Shootings of Achnaleish",
"How Fear departed from the Long Gallery", "Caterpillars", "The Cat",
"The Bus-Conductor", "The Man Who Went Too Far", "Between the Lights",
"Outside the Door", "The Terror by Night", "The Other Bed",
"The Thing in the Hall", "The House with the Brick-Kiln",
""And the Dead Spake"", "The Outcast", "The Horror-Horn", "Machaon",
"Negotium Perambulans", "At the Farmhouse", "Inscrutable Decrees",
"The Gardener", "Mr. Tilly's Seance", "Mrs. Amworth", "In the Tube",
"Roderick's Story", "Reconciliation", "The Face", "Spinach",
"Bagnell Terrace", "A Tale of an Empty House", "Naboth's Vineyard",
"Expiation", "Home Sweet Home", ""And No Bird Sings"", "The Corner House",
"Corstophine", "The Temple", "The Step", "The Bed by the Window",
"James Lamp", "The Dance", "The Hanging of Alfred Wadham", "Pirates",
"The Wishing-Well", "The Bath-Chair", "Monkeys",
"Christopher Comes Back", "The Sanctuary", "Thursday Evenings",
"The Psychical Mallards", "The Clonmel Witch Burning".

The introductions are copyright but the stories themselves are PD. It's trivial to generate images of only the pages with the stories.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:09 AM   #1035
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@Grumbles -- I actually have all the contents of the OpenLibrary collection --- I got them from fadedPage.com and gutenberg.au. The collection as it currently stands is ready to go, and I am posting it tonight. Finishing took less time than expected.