Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
AXmichigan
AXmichigan began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to locally link image and audio into an EPUB

Hello all,
I am pretty new to EPUBs and am having a bit of an issue. I created my EPUB with Adobe Digital Editions and everything looks great, except I am unsure of how to do one thing. When I created it I kept the hyperlinking for words; I want it, that when you click a word, an image-jpeg or audio-mp3 file comes up, it kept it local to my computer hard drive. I was looking for a way to make it be IN the epub, such that when you would view the epub anywhere, it would play the mp3 and audio file as opposed to be stuck onto one computer!
(I unzipped it and saw how it referred to my c:/documents/etc... but I am not sure how to make that local to on the epub)

Thanks!
AXmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You have to include the files in the zip (ePUB is just a zip renamed), and in the manifest (the OPF file that's included in the ePUB). Note that audio files are not "core media types" in the ePUB specification, so readers are likely to not support them. And links directly to image files are not allowed either, you have to create some HTML wrapper that holds the images and link to it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote