Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #1
Haidon
Haidon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Request: LaTeX Input

Calibre does a great job converting most ebook formats into LRF or ePub, but one format that I cannot get to convert is LaTeX documents.

Could conversion from this format be added in a future version of the application?

Thanks
Haidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I don't knwo of any good way to convert LaTeX to a reflowable format, which is a prerequisite for converting it to ebooks. Indeed LaTeX is not designed to produce reflowable documents, so conversion from it will always be hit and miss at best
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
Haidon
Haidon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the quick reply.

I won't pretend to know alot about the technical aspects of the various markup languages and whatnot, but would such a conversion be able to work if perhaps the LaTeX document were first converted into HTML and from there into the ebook formats? I have seen various Latex-HTML converters that are open-source, so if such a utility were bundled with calibre, and automatically used in the conversion, would Calibre then possibly be capable of making the conversion?
Haidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've seen good comments about tex4ht as a LaTeX-HTML converter, but I haven't mastered it myself... maybe because my LaTeX was too customized to start with.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I tested latex2html and the result from that could be converted to a Mobi book. It worked OK but I think you need to enhance the handling of the symbol images a bit to fit the small screen on your reader.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never liked the output of latex2html much. It only works if you use very simple Latex, anything fancy and it fails. Plus representing symbols as images is ridiculous.

With latex, you're better off using the geometry package to create PDFs sizedto fit the reader screens
Old 06-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Plus representing symbols as images is ridiculous.
I always thought that was a clever solution to a problem that probably cannot be solved in any other way if you want a solution that always works.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Why, all that's needed is font support to display symbols. See for example asciiml or mathml
Old 06-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Why, all that's needed is font support to display symbols. See for example asciiml or mathml
And how do you handle symbols defined by macros using for example eepic? Or am I optimistic thinking latex2html handle this?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What I would do for pictures in latex is export them to SVG. Shouldn't be too hard using a pdf2svg tool.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I don't knwo of any good way to convert LaTeX to a reflowable format, which is a prerequisite for converting it to ebooks. Indeed LaTeX is not designed to produce reflowable documents, so conversion from it will always be hit and miss at best
Since it's just in readable text, couldn't you just convert it?

\emph{text} is the same as <EM>

\bf{bold} is same as <B>

Doesn't seem like it would be impossible to convert...

Also, I registered to request a tex output format. Same story. Since LaTeX is so incredibly I would think it's easier than several other of the output formats.
anywho is offline   Reply With Quote