Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #241
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
In addition to the difficulties that s1s2... was having after upgrading to 4.5.9.587 with side loaded books with Calibre not showing up on the home page,
You are seeing exactly the same as s1s2s3s4s5? Have you checked the time and date on the device? If the time is correct, it's a strange problem and yours is only the second report. Any chance of arranging to see the database from the device?
Quote:
I also had an issue that after side loading and ejecting. After ejecting my Aura it would reload all the books (only the side-loaded ones I believe) and all the books I was reading would be reset to unread. I tried logging out/in, and doing a factory re-set but neither solved it. It was only solved by downgrading to 4.4.934. Sure sounds like more potential bugs in 4.5.9.587. For now I've patched to prevent upgrading via wifi and will stay with 4.4.934.
Are the books on the external SD card? And are they kepubs? If so it is a known bug in the 4.5.9587 firmware where all kepubs on the are reprocessed each time the card is inserted or the device disconnected from the PC.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:49 AM   #242
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I bought the Aura HD pretty much the week it was released and have been very pleased with it. With one very important (to me) exception. The hightlighting worked very, very lously... I almost bought a Kindle just to be able to do highlights in the non-fiction books I read.
It got better maybe 1-2 years ago, but still very bad.

Now, I just realized I am half way through a book and have made many hightlights. All. Worked. Perfectly! Not one single problem.

No idea which firmware did the big change, but as of now, I'm very happy!

(For info, I use kepubs, tried epubs several times, sometimes it worked a bit better, but not good enough. And yes, I have reported it to Kobo (no pleasant experience).)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #243
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You are seeing exactly the same as s1s2s3s4s5? Have you checked the time and date on the device? If the time is correct, it's a strange problem and yours is only the second report. Any chance of arranging to see the database from the device?

Are the books on the external SD card? And are they kepubs? If so it is a known bug in the 4.5.9587 firmware where all kepubs on the are reprocessed each time the card is inserted or the device disconnected from the PC.

Yes and yes, they are kepubs and on an external card. That explains why I started having the problems after upgrading to 4.5.9587 and the problem went away after downgrading to 4.4.934.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #244
vaso65
vaso65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
SD Card reprocessed

Quote:
•Any kepubs on an external SD card are reprocessed each time the card is seen
I have the same problem with epub files.
vaso65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 AM   #245
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaso65 View Post
Are you sure that you have no kepub on your memory card?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #246
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaso65 View Post
It is definitely only happening here with kepubs on the SD card. But, another reason for books to be continuously reprocessed is a corrupt database on the device. Have you checked that it is OK?
Old 08-24-2017, 03:02 AM   #247
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I never manually upgraded to 4.5.9587, it happened when Kobo scheduled it and I've had nothing but problems since. I've factory reset three times in the last few weeks to try and start afresh but now I've basicly given up on my H20.

I factory reset and connected it to Calibre (it always connects after a factory reset, but not always again) loaded all my fan fiction on the SD Card and that's all that's on it now. For book reading I'll stick to my kindles, my H20 is now relegated to a storage ereader for my fan fic, I won't be adding anymore so no need ever connect it to Calibre again. It's no use to me as anything else.

The problems I having been having are:-

Intermittent connection to Calibre, sometimes it works, other times it won't stay connected, or even connect at all. This is with a Mac, a W7 and a W10 pc.

Error connecting to Device message from Calibre when it does connect.

Importing after connection to the pc even when it wouldn't connect to Calibre.

On average it was connecting 1 out of every 5 times I tried. Factory resets only helped initially. I actually think I have a loose USB connection on the device as the connection issues started before the upgrade, but it's now definitely worse. I was sending Kepubs to the H20 via the kepub plug in.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-24-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #248
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Have you tried using a different USB cable? I can't count the number of cables I've had go wonky on me.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #249
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Have you tried using a different USB cable? I can't count the number of cables I've had go wonky on me.
Yes, and ports of my different PCs/macs. Nothing makes any difference. I often get the connect screen flashing and disappearing constantly, or showing but with the connect button grey'd out.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 AM   #250
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Yes, and ports of my different PCs/macs. Nothing makes any difference. I often get the connect screen flashing and disappearing constantly, or showing but with the connect button grey'd out.
That does sound like a wonky socket. Whether there is a dry solder joint or something else, it's hard to tell. Does holding the plug in a particular position help? That's not something you want to do all the time, but it can help to diagnose the problem.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #251
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That does sound like a wonky socket. Whether there is a dry solder joint or something else, it's hard to tell. Does holding the plug in a particular position help? That's not something you want to do all the time, but it can help to diagnose the problem.
I think it's easy enough to damage the socket on the KA1 in a careless moment.

IIRC, it's the norm that the company logo, or the USB logo, should be facing up when plugging in the cable. It does, on my phone, on my tablet, on the old KPW1, and on my laptop. On the KA1 however, the logo faces downward (same cable).

I have to pay attention putting the cable into the KA1 lest I try to do it the wrong way around. The number of times I fiddled with that cable for a few seconds, before I remember to reverse it....
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #252
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing is, if the cable doesn't go in easily, DO NOT PUSH!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #253
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
IIRC, it's the norm that the company logo, or the USB logo, should be facing up when plugging in the cable.
I've never heard or seen that stated anywhere (until now that is).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #254
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
In most cases, it is that the logo on the cable faces up except with Sony. They had the USB port facing the other way.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #255
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Here
and there

There are more The USB-symbol goes up; if there isn't a USB symbol, most probably there is a company logo, and then that one should go up. It's not always the case, but it should be if the cable follows USB-standards 100%. I just noticed that my KA1 is the only device I have in which the cable plugs in with the symbol facing down. (With all the cables I have; all the same brand.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware upgrade