Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
Avamander
Avamander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2 (KT3), Kindle Touch (KT) with a broken screen
Question Terminal for 8th generation Kindle

I wish to use command-line utilities like mutt, irssi, nano etc. on my 8th generation Kindle (KT3), is there a way I could do that directly on the Kindle? I tried googling but haven't found something directly meant for this specific Kindle.

Last edited by Avamander; 08-18-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Avamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) Wrong forum - try the "Developer's Corner" sub-forum.
2) Install kTerm after you jail break it.
3) How are you going to do that with a broken screen?
4) Is the device description in your info box up to date? Are you posting about a KT3?
Take the first six characters of the device serial number, look it up in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Every model has a nickname, please use the one for the device you are posting about -
it can make a difference to the answers.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
Avamander
Avamander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2 (KT3), Kindle Touch (KT) with a broken screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1) Wrong forum - try the "Developer's Corner" sub-forum.
Sorry
Quote:
2) Install kTerm after you jail break it.
Thanks for the information, I guess I can go on from that.

Quote:
3) How are you going to do that with a broken screen?
I have two devices.

Quote:
4) Is the device description in your info box up to date? Are you posting about a KT3? Take the first six characters of the device serial number, look it up in this table: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Every model has a nickname, please use the one for the device you are posting about -
it can make a difference to the answers.
That table says I have a Kindle Basic 2 KT3

Last edited by Avamander; 08-18-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Avamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avamander View Post
- - - -
That table says I have a Kindle Basic 2 KT3
Install USBnetworking (you will want it anyway) -
The package includes nano, zsh, and a bunch of other things.

I think a build of irssi was posted recently -
someone needed it to chat in simplified Chinese.

No build of mutt that I can think of, other than by Debian.org
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sy69jl, terminal