Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #136
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Here's a screen protector which is being advertised as matte and anti-glare. What do we know about Cover-Up™ as a maker of screen protectors?:

Cover-Up Anti-Glare Matte Screen Protector

Edit: I answered my own question here; Cover-Up's considered to be good.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 07-08-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #137
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I'd imagine it will have the same texture as Decal Girl skins have always had: More grip than the all-nude Aura but a bit like the offspring of vinyl wrapping paper. That's perfectly fine for me, but I'm not entirely certain that those who seek to replicate the specific texture of the back of a Glo will be satisfied.

Now that you've reminded me, I might well pick up a DG skin in the next few moments.
Indeed - it's not as slippery as a bare Aura (or sleep cover), but not as grippy as an InvisibleShield. Still, anything's an improvement on the bare Aura.

Plus, I like some of the designs. Here's the "Library" skin on the back of the sleep cover. Chopped down from an iPad one (and with the photo upside down)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373338231004.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	107923  

Last edited by Haesslich; 07-08-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #138
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Indeed - it's not as slippery as a bare Aura (or sleep cover), but not as grippy as an InvisibleShield. Still, anything's an improvement on the bare Aura.

Plus, I like some of the designs. Here's the "Library" skin on the back of the sleep cover. Chopped down from an iPad one (and with the photo upside down)...
I just got my Kobo smart cover, and was contemplating the slipperiness that people have mentioned and a thought occurred to me, that this company

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

has a product that can be painted on the back of the Aura, (it can be removed by peeling it off) or the Smart cover to provide a slip free grip. I use it on my video cards in the computer to insulate against accidently touching in tight spaces. Just something to consider. Because it can be peeled off there is no damage if you don't like it. Another option is this product at Home Depot in the US.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Performix...03-6/100131010

its a spray on coating that makes doing the back of the Aura easy or the Smart cover easier...

In Canada at Home Depot it can be found here.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...partial&s=true

regards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 07-09-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: additional information
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #139
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Unfortunately it doesn't come in clear, as I want to keep the color of a brown Aura. I'd have gone for a matching sleep cover, but...

I wonder if I can find clear grip tape?
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #140
guitarchitect
guitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud of

Device: kobo aura hd... maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't come in clear, as I want to keep the color of a brown Aura. I'd have gone for a matching sleep cover, but...

I wonder if I can find clear grip tape?
Sure it does...
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/plas...11-gram/997310

hm... I'll wait for someone else to test it out. I'm pretty sure it won't be as even as an applied film.

On the other hand - has anyone tried Caseable cases? Printed outside, microsuede inside. I'd like to get my hands on one before shelling out $50 for it, but it does sound like it's a "you'll only ever need one" type of product. I like plain cases but this one has caught my eye.

On the other hand, there's the tuff-luv cases. I really like this one but I don't think they make anything that will fit the Kobo Aura. Gonna email them to see if they're planning on it (or if another product will fit it)
guitarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #141
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchitect View Post
Sure it does...
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/plas...11-gram/997310

hm... I'll wait for someone else to test it out. I'm pretty sure it won't be as even as an applied film.

On the other hand - has anyone tried Caseable cases? Printed outside, microsuede inside. I'd like to get my hands on one before shelling out $50 for it, but it does sound like it's a "you'll only ever need one" type of product. I like plain cases but this one has caught my eye.

On the other hand, there's the tuff-luv cases. I really like this one but I don't think they make anything that will fit the Kobo Aura. Gonna email them to see if they're planning on it (or if another product will fit it)
Nice looking Case but for me the drawback is the elastic bands. Cant stand them they stretch loose effectiveness and block power buttons. Mind you kobo could move the power buttons to the side instead of the top in the next iterations.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #142
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I did order one of the caseable covers for my Aura.

They said it will take 3-5 days for production then shipping from NY.

Will report back on the quality and fit for the Aura.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #143
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
I use this one: http://www.ereaderstore.nl/product/1...cover-tan.html
Supposedly 6 inch but the Aura fits well, allthough on/of button and usb are less easily accessible.
Put a small and thin battery in the pocket and it even works as a sleep cover!
Still, a bit expensive.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #144
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice one, AB. The Verso reminds me of the vintage covers for the Kindle 2 and 3 by Octovo (my favorites for those models) spliced with an Oberon journal sleeve.

The trickiest thing about the Aura seems to be the back (which has the texture of Duchamp's "Nude Descending a Staircase"), so I'd imagine the ideal generic cover for it might have a layer of memory foam (cf. this homely case for the iPad) on the inside of the back piece. I wonder how difficult that would be to implement.

I like your small battery idea. Do you travel with your Aura and, if so, has your battery mod been stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
I use this one: http://www.ereaderstore.nl/product/1...cover-tan.html
Supposedly 6-inch, but the Aura fits well, although the on/off button and USB port are less easily accessible.
Put a small and thin battery in the pocket and it even works as a sleep cover!
Still, a bit expensive.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 07-18-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Transposed space which was formerly part of a link.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #145
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
I cut a piece of carton to fit in the lower left corner of the pocket with a hole in it to keep the battery in the exact place it needs to be. No problem.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #146
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Nicely done.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #147
konrad white
Enthusiast
konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS 950, Onyx M92, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
What are U thinking about cover for Aura produced by Kobo?
http://www.google.pl/url?sa=i&rct=j&...74398116745394
konrad white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #148
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by konrad white View Post
What are U thinking about cover for Aura produced by Kobo?
It's a beautiful cover, and the sleep function works great. I have the black one. I just wish they'd made in in more colors. It's kind of expensive, since you can get sleep covers off eBay for $15 USD but they don't have the molded backs and that's what I wanted.

Edited: Never saw this on eBay until today...snap in sleep cover. Not real leather but it does come in colors! And the back is molded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNETIC-Aut...item27d51b4ee1

Last edited by selina4books; 07-20-2013 at 08:04 AM.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #149
konrad white
Enthusiast
konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS 950, Onyx M92, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
Thx, interesting cover. I hesitate between the Gecko and the original case from Kobo.
konrad white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #150
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
Edited: Never saw this on eBay until today...snap in sleep cover. Not real leather but it does come in colors! And the back is molded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNETIC-Aut...item27d51b4ee1
Looks great, unfortunately they say it doesn't ship to the UK. Maybe soon .....

EDIT: I've found an eBay seller who will post to the UK. Now decision time, do I wait and see the specs for the Sony T3 or buy an Aura.

Last edited by Lyn2012; 07-20-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Update
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote