Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Got paperwhite! Batch 502

I was a little hesitant to order one after all the moaning on here about them, but I got one and I couldn't be happier with the screen. I had a K3 with the contacts on for the integrated light cover. Now THAT was a pain in the ass haha.

The lighting is bright (from far too bright to a bit too dim which is good), it is very even, the blacks are very black, and the screen responsiveness is normal to good to e-ink.

There is some very very slight spotlighting in the bottom, but you'd have to be the e-reader equivalent of an audiophile dummy buying $100/foot speaker wire to care I think.

The only thing I'd change which is not screen related is the home screen only shows 3 books! Then at the bottom is some "Award winning books" junk. Be nicer if the whole screen was just my books but I haven't found a way to fix that yet.

Compared to my keyboard'd kindle, this thing is tiny. Between that and only the screen being lit at night in a dark room making it so you cant see the bezel, it makes the screen seem smaller than my old one despite being identical haha.

So far I love it, see how it stands the test of time though.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
Compared to my keyboard'd kindle, this thing is tiny. Between that and only the screen being lit at night in a dark room making it so you cant see the bezel, it makes the screen seem smaller than my old one despite being identical haha.

Congrats on your new Kindle. I was looking at PWs at BB a few days ago and couldn't get over how small they are. My K3 with lighted case isn't exactly a behemoth, but the PWs are remarkably thin and light. Enjoy!
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
anathema
Enthusiast

Yeah though screen seems same size, it just seems smaller because the overall volume of this thing is prob half what my keyboarded kindle was.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Congrats on your new PW. Glad you're happy. To turn off the recommended book content and see more of your own books, you can do this:

From the home menu - Settings > Device Options > Personalize your kindle > Recommended Content (turn off)
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
I was a little hesitant to order one after all the moaning on here about them, but I got one and I couldn't be happier with the screen. I had a K3 with the contacts on for the integrated light cover. Now THAT was a pain in the ass haha.

The lighting is bright (from far too bright to a bit too dim which is good), it is very even, the blacks are very black, and the screen responsiveness is normal to good to e-ink.

There is some very very slight spotlighting in the bottom, but you'd have to be the e-reader equivalent of an audiophile dummy buying $100/foot speaker wire to care I think.

The only thing I'd change which is not screen related is the home screen only shows 3 books! Then at the bottom is some "Award winning books" junk. Be nicer if the whole screen was just my books but I haven't found a way to fix that yet.

Yep. Goto Home>settings>Device options>Personalize your Kindle> and turn of Recommended content and you will not have the "Award Winning Books" being listed at the bottom of the screen. They sure don't hide it do they. lol

Last edited by crich70; 02-01-2013 at 01:23 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
I so agree about the screen seeming smaller compared to the K3, I actually put the two beside each other to check, and later even double checked, just couldn't believe it was the same. I'm used to it now, though.

To turn off that annoying add stuff, go to settings, personalize your Kindle, turn off recommended content. :-)

BTW how do you know the batch number?
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
OT, but I've got list view turned on, and display by collections. Can I display by covers when I'm in Collections view? if so, how do I turn that on?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
The pw does kind of feel small.

But the screen size discrepancy is just one of those optical illusions.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
OT, but I've got list view turned on, and display by collections. Can I display by covers when I'm in Collections view? if so, how do I turn that on?
Touch upper right corner for drop down list and choose 'Cover View' from the options. It should be right under 'Shop Kindle Store.'
Old 02-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
The pw does kind of feel small.

But the screen size discrepancy is just one of those optical illusions.
Yep, the case is smaller but the screen is about the same size. Makes sense when you think about it. Tech always seems to get smaller with each new generation.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Touch upper right corner for drop down list and choose 'Cover View' from the options. It should be right under 'Shop Kindle Store.'
Ah, I found it - thanks.

No, I think I prefer list view after all. Pity.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah, I found it - thanks.

No, I think I prefer list view after all. Pity.
Well the collections image isn't the most interesting, but the individual books in the collection look pretty good in cover view.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard

yeah, but I can only see 6 covers at a time, rather than 8 items. And if I do cover view, I can't see where the book falls in a series (I use the calibre plugboard to name my books <series><index> - <title>)

now, if there was some way to make the collections "covers" interesting, I might change my mind.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
yeah, but I can only see 6 covers at a time, rather than 8 items. And if I do cover view, I can't see where the book falls in a series (I use the calibre plugboard to name my books <series><index> - <title>)

now, if there was some way to make the collections "covers" interesting, I might change my mind.
True they don't make it easy to know where in a series a book is. I like the appearance of a book case that having even six book covers gives though.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
anathema
Enthusiast

Batch is the second part of your serial number. yXXX where XXX is the batch.

I actually found the list view which I prefer to cover view, but thanks for the help on getting rid of those ads.

Just finished first novel after a couple days with the paperwhite, and it was great all the way through.

Maybe 502 is just the good batch ?