Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #361
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Hey, I was sleeping, man's gotta sleep. Thanks a ton, will prevent the update until at least USB Network is confirmed to be able to install.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=12
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #362
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I don't see in your post where you downloaded the most recent version of the Collections Manager.

Go to first post of this thread - try the version now posted.
knc1, I can confirm that i am using the updated versions of all the tools and patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
: sorry, I don't understand the problem description... For me, everything seems to work as it should. So please post a step-by-step guide to reproduce the problem, and also take a look at developer/CollectionsManager/work/crash.log to check if there is an exception or something in there.
ixtab, her is what is happening,

I start collections manager.

i go to menu and i can see the following which you can toggle

Show invisible items on the home screen (which is checked)
Display collections only (This is unchecked)
Limit Filters to the lower pane (This is unchecked)
Upper Pane: show unfilled items only (This is unchecked)

i can toggle any or all of these items but if i try to toggle them back to their original setting it no longer works.

eg i can switch on "display collections only" but then i can no longer switch it of without having to exit collections manager, and then when i reopen it, all the settings have reverted to the above.

i have checked the crash log and the only event it records is a memory issue.

[18/01/2013 16:10] Collections Manager (v. 2.3.2)
Memory usage is in a critical state. Memory used is 75,668 KB.

If its somthing specific to my device i will just have to live with it. collections manager is worth it just to be able to import collections from Calibre

edit
i have tried uninstall and reinstall everything again.

Last edited by alanHd; 01-18-2013 at 11:15 AM.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #363
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Could the book indexer still be running?

If so, just let it finish its work, then try again.
(there is a command to tell how much work the indexer hasn't finished - I don't recall the command, but someone here will).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #364
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
^^ Not a command, but searching for "." (only period) shows what is left to index. Or no results when indexing is done
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #365
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I have tried that and all my items are indexed.

Is there any plan B lol

edit

ok i;m not sure if this is relevant but when i first updated my kindle to the latest firmware and ran a search, it displayed all books with the word in the title before it listed them as per the number of hits.

since installing everything i have not been able to get it to do that again.

Last edited by alanHd; 01-18-2013 at 11:46 AM.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #366
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
jailbroken - now what (how do i use the collections manager?)

With fear and trembling, I installed the jailbreak on my paperwhite, and added the other items to be able to use the Collections Manager - and now I truly can't figure out how to use it.

There are two parts to this.

I would like to just have the PW display the list of collections and items not in any collection - what it currently does is show the collection I created (using the Kindle's collection system, not Collections Manager), plus all the books whether they're in a collection or not. This is not useful to me. On my k3, I could list the collections first, and then the not collected books. Can I do this on the Paperwhite?

Next, is there a way to use the Collections Manager in keeping with Calibre, so I can create collections automatically based on tags like I could with the k3? I thought that was what the Collections Manager would do - do I need a separate plugin other than the Kindle Collections Manager for Calibre? and if so, where do I get it?

in other words, is there a text-based how to use ixtab's collection manager?

I'm sorry if I'm asking for hand-holding, but I truly can't figure this out.

Thanks.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #367
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
For the first part, you need to select view by collections, not by title, author or recent.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #368
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I'm still having trouble navigating on the touch screen - I couldn't get the option to display by collections to show - it just kept taking me to the first book on the page. I finally got that to work - thanks.

but that's the least of my problems - I'm still trying to figure out how the Collections Manager works.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #369
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@BeccaPrice: Once you get a hang of CM itself (check the first post here, and the help screnshots), you'll need a tweaked version of the Calibre plugin.

Cf. this for the plugin itself, and a few of my previous answers there for more details on how to link all of that together (#1750, #1762, #1764)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #370
BeccaPrice
Wizard

NiLuJe, I'm sorry for being particularly stupid tonight, but while that gave me information, it didn't really help me much - I'm sorry, but I need specific hand-holding.

I've downloaded the Kindle Collections zip and the kccoll-pw-tweaks patch. What I'm not sure of is how do I install them and the patch? Do I install the kindle collections zip from the Plugin option off the Calibre Preferences screen, like installing Alf's plugins? How do I install the paperwhite tweak?

I'm on a Win7 box, if that helps any of this.

is there a simple, text-based workflow on how to create collections, after I get all this stuff properly loaded?

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 01-19-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #371
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@BeccaPrice: As an user, you don't need the patch, just install the zip file like any other Calibre plugin, it will replace the current version if you already have it installed.

Once that's done, setup the plugin as usual for your new device. When creating collections with it, you'll notice that the wording of the popup is different than on older devices: you don't need to restart your device, instead, you need to do an 'Import' in CM. You can do this from the menu when you have the CM app launched on your Kindle.

(That's for a basic Calibre => Kindle workflow, keeping a full bidirectional sync is slightly more complex).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #372
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Thank you - I got it now. It took a bit of time to find the "import from calibre" menu option - I'm still learning my way around a touch screen and the Pw controls.

Thank you for being so patient with me.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #373
Surreality
Surreality began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW
First of all, thank you Ixtab for you tireless work with all the applications you've been developing.

I'm hoping somebody can help me out before I pull out too much hair...

I've got a Paperwhite running on 5.3.1 using the K5 Collections Manager 2.3.3. Everything has been working quite well with the syncing between calibre but for some reason, 3 of my collection keep getting ignored.

When exporting data from calibre and importing into the collections manager, the collections are created but these 3 always show 0/0 in the progress tab while importing. They'll never be put inside the hierarchy while all other collections work flawlessly.

When exporting data from the collections manager and importing into calibre, these 3 collections overwrite my collections data with null, blanking out the data that would normally exist there.

For some reason, these 3 collections seem to have issues being created on my Paperwhite and I'm struggling to grasp why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I found a crash.log with the following:

[1/20/13 8:16 PM] Collections Manager (v. 2.3.3)
Memory usage is in a critical state. Memory used is 73,140 KB
[1/20/13 8:17 PM] Collections Manager (v. 2.3.3)
Memory usage is in a critical state. Memory used is 74,376 KB

Last edited by Surreality; 01-20-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Surreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #374
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Ixtab, I just want to say that I love you. I just loaded 135 books on my Paperwhite, and used the Collections Manager in combination with Calibre to sort them all into collections. It took maybe 1/2 hour to get the books properly transferred from my k3 to the Paperwhite, and sorted into something like 17 collections. Doing it by hand using the Kindle's native system would have taken hours. Thank you so very, very much!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #375
dirgeon
dirgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
@ixtab Thanks for your work!

I'm sorry if I missed it somehow, but could you please add support for a book being in more than one collection?

For example, I have "On Basilisk Station" in my "Honor Harrington" collection. Then, when I start to read it, I also put it in my "0n Deck" collection for easy access (that's a zero at the start).

When I import Kindle collections to calibre, my Collection column gets "0n Deck,Honor Harrington". When I sync to calibre on the Kindle, the book gets stored into a collection literally named "0n Deck,Honor Harrington" (or "Honor Harrington,0n Deck") instead of going back to two separate collections.

Could you please take a look at this? Thanks!
dirgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks