Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #706
Vermilion Scans
Vermilion Scans began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2 Pro
Hi all,

I'm planning on using my Max2 Pro as a second monitor for text editing, and I have a couple questions about whether it will work with my current laptop.

1) Does it work with linux?
2) Will it work with a laptop that doesn't have an HDMI port? (i.e. with a usb/hdmi adapter)

I'm running Debian on a Lenovo Yoga 720 15". It has no HDMI, but it does have a USB type C thunderbolt port. Will the Max2 Pro work with this laptop? I wanted to ask here before buying the adapter, as I wouldn't have any other use for it.
Vermilion Scans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #707
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
Sorry for the OT, but I did figure out a little trick. If you plug in the hub and power supply into Max3 without anything else attached and then reboot, it will be charging upon boot. Then if you insert the keyboard and mouse, it still wont work, only still charging... but if you are rooted you can "echo '1' > /sys/class/power_supply/usb/usb_otg" anddddd... viola! You have charging + OTG!
Does the root program potentially have some kind of malware, though? But it's good to know that it is possible to do this. Thanks for sharing.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #708
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Out of curiosity: Does anyone tried to use Note Pro with VNC ?
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #709
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Does the root program potentially have some kind of malware, though? But it's good to know that it is possible to do this. Thanks for sharing.
No its topjohnwu's Magisk su. Its whats used on probably 80% of all Android phones that are rooted in the world. Its free and open source and you can build the root yourself. Here's the thread at xda https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #710
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
Way to get fake display for Windows use HDMI dummy plug or:
1. Install spacedesk (server and viewer part both)
2. In viewer part Settings->Automatic Conect add yours local server s IP (Network interfaces (local) in server part). Add resolution for your device.
3. Run server, restart viewer and you got virtual display (you can see it in Windows settings).
Tested it for Win 7 x64.
Sorry for tongue-tied, I'm not well at English.

Last edited by M_Faust; 10-11-2019 at 02:08 PM.
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #711
Vermilion Scans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Scans View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning on using my Max2 Pro as a second monitor for text editing, and I have a couple questions about whether it will work with my current laptop.

1) Does it work with linux?
2) Will it work with a laptop that doesn't have an HDMI port? (i.e. with a usb/hdmi adapter)

I'm running Debian on a Lenovo Yoga 720 15". It has no HDMI, but it does have a USB type C thunderbolt port. Will the Max2 Pro work with this laptop? I wanted to ask here before buying the adapter, as I wouldn't have any other use for it.
I went ahead and bought a HDMI/MiniDisplayport adapter to see if this would work. When I connect it to my laptop (running Debian Linux) and open the Monitor app, I get the following error message: "Display connection failed. Please check the HDMI cable." The second monitor doesn't show up on the laptop's display settings. So it looks like the monitor feature doesn't work via thunderbolt (at least not on my system). I gather from earlier posts in this thread that it does work with Linux, so I'm guessing the issue is with the adapter.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #712
Vermilion Scans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Scans View Post
I went ahead and bought a HDMI/MiniDisplayport adapter to see if this would work. When I connect it to my laptop (running Debian Linux) and open the Monitor app, I get the following error message: "Display connection failed. Please check the HDMI cable." The second monitor doesn't show up on the laptop's display settings. So it looks like the monitor feature doesn't work via thunderbolt (at least not on my system). I gather from earlier posts in this thread that it does work with Linux, so I'm guessing the issue is with the adapter.
My Max2 Pro is now working as a second monitor on this laptop, via HDMI/DP adapter. I just had to enable the external monitor in my KDE display settings, after plugging it in but before starting the Monitor app. KDE settings seem a little counter-intuitive to me

I tried updating my recent post instead of making a new one, but it looks like I'm not able to edit my posts due to my account being new. Thanks for this thread, it's been very helpful in getting this working. Very glad to have an e-ink option for typing, as I get bad eyestrain from LCD monitors.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #713
Bruce Wayne
Bruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfoldedBruce Wayne reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Likebook Muses, Kindle 8th Gen
First impressions of Boox MAX2 as a monitor

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. Just bought Boox MAX 2 from official website. Purpose of this post is to provide idea about device's use as a monitor - targeted towards casual users i.e. who want to use this functionality without any modifications. Why am I doing this? this device is very expensive and believe that this forum, particularly this topic, contributes to purchasing decisions for many users. So this is just to help others like me who are casual users.
Now, straight to the main points -

1. Its "OK" , "Usable" for office work - emails, spreadsheet, word processing, browsing etc. However would suggest to see as many videos on this topic as possible for having an idea of what is "OK" to you. It is really important to have realistic expectations of this device and technology. For me, when I checked this for the first time, I was not happy with the results. Screen is dim compared to normal tablet mode. Background is not white & text is not black but grayish. Mouse lag can be annoying & is definitely one of the major pain points. Mouse movement leaves traces.

2. Screen resolution may be bit hit & miss. I am using it at max resolution recommended by Win10 at 2104 x 1560 with 250% scale factor to have this look normal.

3. Initially it felt bit problematic but after update to '2019-06-13xxxxxx' firmware it seems to have improved in terms of speed. Plus got additional functionality of "Navigation Ball". Point is, rather than straight up dismissing it, one should check with the latest update if it makes any improvements.

4. Monitor mode drains battery at ~ 1% per minute. So practically this device needs to be connected to a mains socket OR power bank if one wants to use it for some serious work. I have only charged it once & it takes ~2-2.5 hours to a full charge. I got a charger with this device and its an American charger i.e. you will need to buy an adapter if you are outside US.

5. HDMI cable provided is OK & long enough for me (~2 foot/60 cm). There was a message for HDMI connection error when I connected it for the very first time however I figured out that one needs to make connection first and then enter the monitor mode. So far no problem on that front.

6. To switch between monitor mode & tablet mode, I found that, we can use "Navigation Ball" button options. Basically I have enabled navigation ball so that it appears on screen even in the monitor mode.option for "App Summary" on navigation ball can be used to switch between tablet & monitor mode. Navigation ball is the only thing that can be touch operated in the monitor mode. I have configured one of the options as a "Full Refresh". So whenever I need to refresh the screen manually I just use that option by touching it. This is better than using physical buttons. Screen refresh interval is 1 minute at the minimum by default. Another way to refresh screen is to simply touch the screen and it shows options available in the monitor mode at the bottom. From there one can refresh the screen.

7. Screen protector received is glossy & results in glare. But this device must be used with screen protector as the wacom pen nibs are slightly hard & will easily scratch the screen. My screen protector has got visible scratches after a few minutes of use. Point is, screen quality may be slightly improved without screen protector but if one wants to use this as a writing/note taking device then a screen protector is a must. On a side note, I also have a Likebook Muses and I find writing on Muses noticeably better. I am most likely not going to use this for note taking.

8. Its "OK" for use if you can live with dim screen OR have good lighting in work space that compensates. Its OK to use if you dont type fast and can show patience with mouse - ~50% slower mouse movements. I am trying to minimize my mouse use. Alt+ Tab to switch between apps, Alt+F4 to close active window, Cntrl + PgUP/Dn for switching between tabs etc. Wish some keyboard shortcut key could be assigned to do a screen refresh.

9. Content seems better when matched to black text & white background themes on the apps. Cant differentiate between different colors on spreadsheet with conditional formatting.

10. Specifically for spreadsheet, I think I am going to use a bigger LED monitor as 13.3" size is not really sufficient for my needs.

11. For monitor stand, I am using a simple AmazonBasics stand for tablets. Works fine for me. A stand is a must for use as a monitor. Thats an additional cost. Initially I thought of buying Logitech K480 BT keyboard with groove however cancelled it later for 2 reasons. Mainly, this tablet is huge and K480 doesnt fit this tab in landscape mode. One can simply check this by comparing dimensions. In portrait mode, I am not confident that it would be a wise thing to support this device with keyboards groove with small depth. Second, I dont want to add lag to the already slow typing experience & not a big fan of wireless/radiations.

12. I did watch a video on this tab just to see how it performs. Surprisingly video played decently but its not acceptable for me to use this for viewing videos. Audio was without any problems.

13. It accidentally froze and rebooted once in the monitor mode. Slightly worried for prolonged use in this mode.

14. Slightly dim screen, ghosting may not seem comfortable to a few. For me, it definitely is better than staring at my laptop screen. Guess, no backlight is more important for eye comfort than a crisp LED display.

In general, experience is inversely proportional to the screen content, screen interaction (Read vs write/change/click), speed requirements, darkness, color requirements.

Dim screen, ghosting, need for refresh may feel unacceptable to a few people. Basically you can not expect this to be an equivalent of a standard LCD /LED monitor and have to have lower expectations, adjust working style.

These are my first impressions after using this device for the first time and for a short while using simple HDMI connection - No remote viewing, No rooting, No Custom mods.

So far I am not regretting my decision. I think I will need to adjust to this device a bit. This device was, if I am not mistaken, at its lowest price point ($599) when I bought it. And there are no other options in the market for lower costs for e ink monitor. I dont think so that the experience is greatly enhanced in BOOX MAX 3 but I stand to be corrected. Frankly, I dont have money to spend on these devices any more after this purchase.

My only worry right now is reliability i.e. this should last me for at least 2 years before any issues after daily use as a monitor.

My wish list -
1. min 24" size so I will not need to use LED monitor for big spreadsheets, layouts etc. 27" would be even better.
2. Price that is within standard LED monitor of the same size. I dont want to sell my kidneys to save my eyes. I am still not convinced that this thing costs this much to produce.
3. Basic Colors - I dont need 16 million colors but at the least some basic colors and their shades so that color content can be seen & interpreted.
4. Reliability warranty that the display can be used as a dedicated monitor for heavy use for longer duration every day. I am not sure if its a good thing to plug this continuously while using it in monitor mode.
5. More than 1 HDMI port for connectivity - In case first one fails for any reason.
6. Improvements in screen refresh speed - Already this device is decent for normal work but imagine the demand it will attract if the screen refreshes without user noticing it & leaving no traces/ghosting.
7. Improvement in contrast - This is a MUST for BW/grayscale devices. My 8th Gen Kindle has better contrast than Boox MAX 2 & Likebook Muses. The reading experience improves significantly with clean whiter background.

Hope this helps a few people in making right decisions.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:55 PM   #714
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
[QUOTE=mzan;3651952]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
You mean the graininess? Those pictures suggest that your source is dark grey on light grey (5% on 95%) instead of black on white.

I have exactly the same problem as described by jaschenka. I tried with an image with perfect white background, but I have always gray dots.
Has this problem been fixed?

ie: by MonitorMOD or newer firmwares?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:57 AM   #715
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
Background is not white & text is not black but grayish
That is not technically bound (a bad configuration is possible but a system can be capable of display source white as EPD lightest and source black as EPD darkest), and on my last use on my setup (HDMI on a Linux desktop) I am fairly sure that I did not meet that problem.

Quote:
Screen protector received is glossy n results in glare
There are professional products available. Please see e.g.
There are places which install the protector professionally and cut the source sheet with a plotter - I go to "Clear-Coat, Mobile Outfitters". Of course, they have matte ...
MobileOutfitters Clear Coat (or Fusion?) for Max 2

Quote:
I am trying to minimize my mouse use
That is the proper way.

Quote:
Wish some keyboard shortcut key could be assigned to do a screen refresh
It is in theory possible, as a keyboard shortcut that issues a command like `adb shell [some command here for the tablet]`...
For example, a user recently has identified an Android keyboard shortcut in the firmware, [F11], that switches A2 mode. So, for example, a
`adb shell input keyevent KEYCODE_F11 ; adb shell input keyevent KEYCODE_F11`
(double for "on" and "off") or similar correct syntax could do the trick. If a keyboard shortcut (on Android, not on the device to be monitored) directly for refresh is found, even better.

For further clarity: an `adb shell [some Android shell command for the tablet]` is issued on a desktop OS connected to an Android device to send a command for said device. You can bind that "outer" command to a keyboard shortcut on the desktop OS. Find the Android command that refreshes the screen and you are set.

Quote:
this should last me for at least 2 years before any issues after daily use as a monitor
Please see my post #170 in this very thread,
The lifespan is equivalent to "if you used it every day in traditional 8hrs working-days for five years, assuming a [dot] is switched on average every 5s (which is probably a lot)" ...
You can do your math and see if the values match your use.
Same page: «... the specs sheet for the "E-Ink Carta Imaging Film" states «10 million switches». (It also says "or five years" ...»

Quote:
I am still not convinced that this thing costs this much to produce
You have, I assume, checked the E-Ink page with component prices - which are fitting with the assembled product.
The item cost also depends on keeping the business alive, absorbing R&D costs, admin salaries etc. (in classical theory and more, you know, it would depend on the optimal point for revenue...)

Quote:
Basic Colors - I dont need 16 million colors but at the least some basic colors and their shades so that color content can be seen n interpreted
We are hoping for newer technologies and implementations. You may have heard of the past attempts (PixelQi, Mirasol) and newer ones (CLEARink).
You may also have heard of E-Ink's AcEP, which seems to have made good progresses in the past months - but I would not expect miracles in refresh times.

Last edited by mdp; 11-02-2019 at 05:05 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:28 AM   #716
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
I've had the Onyx Boox Max 1, 3 years ago (no external monitor ability unfortunately) and haven't followed the evolution since.

I see there's the Max 3 version now. Is there an advantage buying it, compared to the Max 2, if I am especially interested in the monitor ability?

Thanks!
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #717
ContadorPL
ContadorPL began at the beginning.

Device: planning e-ink monitor
from what I have read 3 is not much different from 2 in this regard and is about 0.6s input lag.

it is a pity, because I also wanted to buy it for this purpose and is distributed in my country, now I have to fight buying dasung and importing it from another continent.
ContadorPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #718
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Question Freezing bug

I have been with my Boox Max 3 for a few weeks now.
It's working as expected for an e-ink monitor except that I'm having a strange bug:

Every few minutes, the screen freezes for a few seconds and then it "un-freezes". A few minutes later, it freezes again for a few seconds, then unfreezes etc...
It's the screen which freezes, not the PC, since I've tried to perform some actions blindly when it was frozen and they were executed.

I'm on Linux 5.3.12, with proprietary Nvidia driver (I've tried opensource Nouveau driver but I didn't get the screen recognized).

Are you experiencing this also??

Last edited by Huyggy; 12-10-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:03 AM   #719
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I just tried starting to use my Max2Pro as an external monitor - it worked surprisingly well on my Mac Mini with direct HDMI out in Text mode, for word processing. But I can't get it to work properly through a USB-C hub with HDMI out on either the Mini, or my Macbook 12, which needs the hub. The usual error messages pop up, and the computer images can be seen for a second, before the screen greys out, and the Monitor app needs to be restarted.

Has anyone had success in using a USB-C hub with HDMI out between Mac and Onyx devices, and could you kindly post the hub's model?

Many thanks
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #720
xsebt
xsebt began at the beginning.

Device: note2
Is there also a possibility to use the Note 2 with its usb-c connector as a second monitor?
xsebt is offline   Reply With Quote