Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 10:36 PM   #46
pavel-s
Enthusiast
pavel-s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not to worry about your 'phone battery running down ...
Kindles normally only have 3 to 4 hours (depending on FW and model) of run time.

The BT controller requires a computer to run it, so the Kindle can never sleep.
It may be the case for constant streaming (like listening audio-books) but Bluetooth keyboards should be also optimized for not sending data constantly to preserve their battery life. And Bluetooth LE controllers should handle it just fine. Probably using specific processor interrupts or something like that to awake it. In my understanding, when you do not hold a key on a keyboard, it doesn't send any radio waves into the air (maybe except some kind of a "ping" signal). And that is when the kindle's processor and a keyboard's micro-controller can save their energy. But when you do press a key then a Bluetooth controller on the kindle should awake the processor and it will handle the key. Though, I not completely sure whether it's true for PW4.
pavel-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #47
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
I think I'm a minority case, but the only reason I jailbreak my Kindles is for custom screensavers, so I can display the book cover when I turn off the device. Given that's no longer possible with the latest devices/firmwares (I still have a Voyage that's JB'd), I have switched over to Kobo, where the custom screensaver is built in and the customization options (especially after patching) numerous.

I don't get why Amazon allows us to buy out of Special Offers, but doesn't then offer a book cover option for screen savers. I would buy an Oasis in a nanosecond if they did, notwithstanding my pleasure in my Kobo Forma.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #48
pavel-s
Enthusiast
pavel-s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
I think I'm a minority case, but the only reason I jailbreak my Kindles is for custom screensavers, so I can display the book cover when I turn off the device. Given that's no longer possible with the latest devices/firmwares (I still have a Voyage that's JB'd), I have switched over to Kobo, where the custom screensaver is built in and the customization options (especially after patching) numerous.

I don't get why Amazon allows us to buy out of Special Offers, but doesn't then offer a book cover option for screen savers. I would buy an Oasis in a nanosecond if they did, notwithstanding my pleasure in my Kobo Forma.
Yeah, that is a cool feature. Most likely Amazon has a small team of developers that are working on prioritized tasks. When a project manager decides not to put an update in a queue (like screensaver options) - nothing can be done here. Business first then user requests come. Plus, the kindle programming can be pretty hard - the kindle system uses parts in java/javascript/lua/c/etc. Entry-level developers are likely be lost there. But they have a source code.

I wonder how much features would we have in kindle if NiLuJe was given full source code of kindles, access to build system, ability to add/modify whatever he'd like
pavel-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #49
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
I think I'm a minority case, but the only reason I jailbreak my Kindles is for custom screensavers, so I can display the book cover when I turn off the device.
From what I have read, that is the #1 reason most kindle jailbreaks happen.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #50
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Personally I do not get it. If you need more functionality buy a tablet. I do not see the appeal in jailbreaking a device and voiding the warrantee if there is one.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #51
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Someone posted a goodereader link? I find it a useful resource. Shame the link was deleted.

I like to goodereader site. I think they try to "predict" outcomes too soon that later come out wrong and I hate how they badmouth B&N in articles and getting info from disgruntled employees rather than from legit sources but Michael has always been nice to me and willing to answer questions directly to me which I appreciate.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #52
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please NEVER EVER post any links or talk about that website. They ripped off free eBook tools and are charging for it So please take down that link and forget that AWFUL SITE even exists.
Quote:
Someone posted a goodereader link? I find it a useful resource. Shame the link was deleted.
The link was to a site that ripped off tools developed here and charges money for them. What gave you the idea it was a link to a site that makes stuff up?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #53
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Personally I do not get it. If you need more functionality buy a tablet. I do not see the appeal in jailbreaking a device and voiding the warrantee if there is one.
I've gone through three iPads already before I even bought my very first Kindle. The tablet serves its own purpose and the Kindle another. Besides, even on the iPad it's hard to find reading apps that do 100% everything one wants.

Sadly there's really not a lot of options for e-ink and the Kindle's usually cheapest. I've bought a few Kobos but I still like my Paperwhite 3 & 4 better (even when non-jailbroken). I do plan on picking up the new Libra H2O, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #54
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
It's very hard to organize sideloaded contents into collections on a Kindle without jailbreaking. Koreader allows you access books in system folders.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #55
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
It's very hard to organize sideloaded contents into collections on a Kindle without jailbreaking. Koreader allows you access books in system folders.
I know. I jailbroke specifically for LibrarianSync. Even bought backup PW4s when I learned Amazon was getting serious cracking down on jailbreaking.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=327

That said, even without jailbreak I still like the Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4 better than the Kobo Aura HD and Glo HD. My less than ideal experience with these two Kobo devices has made me wary of buying other Kobos.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
why jailbreak