Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2023, 11:10 PM   #1
Chingus
Chingus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
How to display Table of contents in other language (Tamil)s

Hi, I am new here, just recently bought a Kobo Clara 2E. I find that using Indian languages (Hindi and Tamil mainly) I encounter issues in rendering the fonts for the chapter titles. I am able to render the content itself using the fonts I installed on the device "fonts" folder, but the displaying of Chapter titles in table of contents are hit or miss.
It would render the chapter titles properly sometimes with some fiddling ( reclicking the font, opening and closing the book etc) but mostly it will revert to back to empty squares.
Chingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:43 PM   #2
ToasterxB
ToasterxB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T1
I encounter the same problem with Malayalam Language. Which font are you using currently?
So far I have been successful with sideloading Google Noto Sans font for Malayalam. it should be available for Tamil as well
ToasterxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2023, 04:11 AM   #3
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As @ToasterxB mentioned, the Google Noto Sans font family is a good option, as it's designed to cover a wide range of languages with a consistent design. It includes a font for Tamil, so it might be worth trying.

For the table of contents issue, sometimes converting the ebook to a different format (like EPUB3) can help, as it offers better support for international languages. Also, make sure your device firmware is up to date, as updates often include improvements for font rendering.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote