Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
snowstone
Connoisseur
snowstone doesn't littersnowstone doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura edition 2
Error - unable to reach the plugin index page

I was going to search for a new plugin and I got this message. However calibre is on the Windows Firewall whitelist (both the calibre portable and the main calibre exe files). I can fetch metadata, so it shouldn't be a problem accessing the web.

I've tried to reinstall calibre, but the problem still appears.
snowstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstone View Post
I was going to search for a new plugin and I got this message. However calibre is on the Windows Firewall whitelist (both the calibre portable and the main calibre exe files). I can fetch metadata, so it shouldn't be a problem accessing the web.

I've tried to reinstall calibre, but the problem still appears.
This is the error I got with windows 10.
Code:
calibre, version 2.49.0
ERROR: Update Check Failed: Unable to reach the plugin index page.

https://plugins.calibre-ebook.com/plugins.json.bz2
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
snowstone
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Code:
calibre, version 2.49.0

bernie
This is exactly the error I got. I'm running Windows 8.1
Old 01-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Code:
calibre, version 2.49.0

bernie
I just checked it with my Linux Mint PC and it works, so it looks to be a windows problem. I am using Windows Firewall and Defender.

No time a this minute to troubleshoot, but check firewall.

bernie
Old 01-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works in my windows 10 machine. The change in 2.49 was that is started using https, so possibly there is some missing root/intermediate certificate on your machines?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What happens if you open that URL in a web browser/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
miglanc
miglanc began at the beginning.

Device: none
I’m unable to ad integrate „COPY TO LIBRARY” in a toolbar and check for plugin update.
Code:

calibre Debug log
calibre 2.49 [64bit]  isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Extract ISBN && Overdrive Link && Generate Cover && Quality Check && Goodreads && Barnes & Noble && Open With && Resize Cover && Quick Preferences && Find Duplicates && Search The Internet && View Manager && Modify ePub && Import List && Goodreads Sync
Starting up...
HttpHelper::__init__: proxy=None
Failed to check for plugin update: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)>
Started up in 46.86 seconds with 1 books
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 61, in read_available_plugins
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\browser.py", line 25, in https_open
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)>
Starting debug executable: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-debug.exe
miglanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Works in my windows 10 machine. The change in 2.49 was that is started using https, so possibly there is some missing root/intermediate certificate on your machines?
Spoiler:
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\*******>calibre-debug -g
calibre 2.49  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Qt: Untested Windows version 10.0 detected!
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && Barnes & Noble && Quality Check && EpubSplit && KindleUnpack - The Plugin && Goodreads && Webscription && Diaps Editing Toolbag && Generate Cover && Baen && Modify ePub && Hyphenate This!
Starting up...
Failed to check for plugin update: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)>
Started up in 14.20 seconds with 2738 books

You are correct a missing cert.

Now how to get it updated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What happens if you open that URL in a web browser/
I can download the json file.

If I use open with calibre.exe it downloads as a new ebook.

For me this is not that big of a problem scene it is my windows tablet.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 01-16-2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
ms233
ms233 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
This is happening for me too on 2.49 on Windows 10. When I go there in firefox I am prompted to save/open plugins.json.bz2.

If I go to https://plugins.calibre-ebook.com in firefox, there is a green lock beside the URL and it reports it as a secure connection protected by Let's Encrypt. The Edge browser also reports it as a secure connection.
ms233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
snowstone
Connoisseur

My Firefox is working without problems, so it seems to be a problem only with calibre. If I download this file-> https://plugins.calibre-ebook.com/plugins.json.bz2
Where should I put it to get everything working as normal?
Old 01-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You cant check in firefox, it has its own private certificate store. Check in internet explorer, which uses the windows store.

And you can always download and install the plugins you want manually, simply got to plugins.calibre-ebook.com download the zip file and Use Preferences->Plugins->Load plugin from zip file
Old 01-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #12
snowstone
Connoisseur

Quote:
You cant check in firefox, it has its own private certificate store. Check in internet explorer, which uses the windows store.

And you can always download and install the plugins you want manually, simply got to plugins.calibre-ebook.com download the zip file and Use Preferences->Plugins->Load plugin from zip file
So I just use internet explorer and what url do I use to test it?
Old 01-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Code:
calibre, version 2.49.0

I use mainly use FF on W10. I tried Edge . I guess I got spoiled

So, how/where do we force a needed certificate?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
gbm
Wizard

Quote:

No way I am gonna let MS Internet Edge have access to the an internet connection, in fact I have it disabled on my windows tablet.

When I google that error it is a python bug/error, the only python on my windows tablet is the one in calibre.

bernie
Old 01-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstone View Post
So I just use internet explorer and what url do I use to test it?
https://plugins.calibre-ebook.com

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-16-2016 at 03:32 PM.