Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-10-2021, 02:30 AM   #34666
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Is that reportable? Or aren't there actually water restrictions right now?
We're in the boonies and there aren't any water usage restrictions here. Everybody is on a well or shared well. We are all individually and collectively responsible for our own water and conservation. If you run out of water, oh, well, too bad, so sad--you have to pay to have it trucked in, put up a large enough tank, etc. And yes, Virginia, wells do run dry. That's why this is driving me nuts. This person is not on my well; he's on his own, or a shared well to the north of me. BUT, he and I (or she and I) are on the same G*ddamned aquifer, fersure.

It's possible--remotely--that this person has a fountain. And that's what I'm hearing or...maybe, very remotely maybe, it's an aerator or the like, in a swimming pool. But firstly, up here, almost nobody has a pool. A pool up here is a dead-animal magnet. Dead bunnies ("Thumper, oh, no!"), ground squirrels, tarantulas, scorpions, snakes (they mostly swim out fine, though) and so on. Even mule deer (yes, it's happened). Not to mention any sadly-outside domestic pets that have either escaped their homes or stupidly been allowed out by owners that obviously don't care if they ever see them again. (Predation on anything under 50-60lbs, at least, is very real here.) So, I mean, forget what it's like elsewhere, with the hassle of scooping leaves--up here, you scoop carcasses. Our home, particularly, happens to be dead smack in the middle of a tarantula annual migration and breeding path. Yup, we see baby Tarans each year and sometimes, they get in the house and we have to watch them creep--slowly--across the ceiling. Yeah, try sleeping with that going on!!!

It's also a killing ground. Doesn't take long for the coyotes and Bobcats and raptors to figure out "duh, hey, everybody goes over there to get water." They may all not like chlorine, but water's water.

On the fountain idea--same thing. Fountains draw critters, critters drown, critters draw predators. And it runs up the power, too, of course, to run a fountain 24/7. Sure, you can try to power it with solar, but no matter what solar companies tell you, it's surprisingly inefficient to try to power a fountain pump with a weenie solar panel. Even in the dead deep center of the Southwestern Sunbelt, with average temps and sun in the summer of 105-110F, daily and 14+ hours of daylight each day.

Anyway...sorry for the ranting. There really isn't anyone to report it to and more importantly, even if there was, I have zero idea where it is--or if it's even truly improper. No realistic way to find it or track it down, due to the odd acoustics up here--sound bounces off the mountains. That thing could literally be, say, 320' from my house, just past my rear property line, or 3200' away. No exaggeration. As I think I've previously mentioned, from my front door, or my office (in front of the house) with my window open, you can hear a car coming from more than a 1/2-mile away. Sound really carries up here because it's typically so quiet.

If it's a fountain or something going on in one of those rare pools...well. My neighbor ends up going out, every. single. night., to check her barn, b/c she hears it too and every night, she's sure that she left her water running from the barn spigot, so even though she tells herself "nope, it's that other person," she compulsively walks out there to check.

SIGH. Maybe one of these days, I'll lace up some tall boots, put on some protective clothing, strap on a suitable light, and go out there and try to track it down in the middle of the night. Not always a great idea to go stomping through other folks' property around here, though. There isn't any simple way to walk "around the block," to try to track it down, as there aren't any blocks here, either, lol. Not like urbanites and suburbanites are used to.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #34667
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
tarantulas, scorpions, snakes
[crossing AZ off my list of possible retirement locations.]

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that you can HEAR, enough to be bothered by, the sound of a hose running half a mile away.....

I could not tell you if there was hose running directly across the street from me.
Even hiking through Stokes Forest on a quiet day, I can't even notice sound of the little waterfalls until I'm almost on top of them...and I passed a hearing exam just recently....

Last edited by ApK; 09-10-2021 at 12:49 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #34668
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that you can HEAR, enough to be bothered by, the sound of a hose running half a mile away.....

I could not tell you if there was hose running directly across the street from me.
Even hiking through Stokes Forrest on a quiet day, I can't even notice sound of the little waterfalls until I'm almost on top of them...and I passed a hearing exam just recently....
LOL, well. I think you'll find that many folks retire here, regardless. And I should mention that "down in the city," these critters are far less populous and bothersome. We're well outside the city limits, up adjacent to the Tonto National Forest, in a relatively undeveloped area, so it's lions and tigers and bears, oh my!, up here.

With regard to the water--I perhaps have not made myself clear. It's not the NOISE that's bothering me. It's actually a nice sound--I like fountains, etc. I don't have one here, where I have tons of space, for the reasons I mentioned above (ye old Killing Ground).

It's what sounds like running water being wasted. Sure, it's "their" water, probably. But it could be something that someone doesn't know about; a hose with a busted spigot that was set on a timer X years ago and now it's running at night, wasting water on the barren ground, not into a watering trough or the like. Or for that matter, going into a trough that no longer has a horse associated with it or or or...

Many folks who live someplace like Florida, or on the Gulf, or many locales on the east coast, take water for granted. Or if you have city water, fire hydrants, yadda.

Out here--we really, really don't. Out here, if you turn on your water in the morning and your spigot sputters--your heart stops. Not only would it mean massive inconvenience, having water trucked in, but drilling a new, deeper well. At a minimum, if you lost a well, you'd lose 25% or more of the value of your home; your insurance would go through the roof (for fire) and so on.

The sound of water simply flowing from a hose--and only audible at night, not just for me but for a neighbor, too (so I'm not imagining it, IOW)--possibly just running into the ground, or something along those lines--that's very, very noticeable.

Hitch
Old 09-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #34669
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Try a little bit of salt on your watermelon. It's amazing. <SNIP>
Every watermelon needs salt! We've never eaten it wasn't other way.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #34670
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

Even hiking through Stokes Forrest on a quiet day, I can't even notice sound of the little waterfalls until I'm almost on top of them...and I passed a hearing exam just recently....
I can rant about having to good hearing, sometimes I wish I could just turn my earing of, if I hear any small noise at night I can’t sleep, and I can’t focus if I’m hearing noise that disturbs me (like a fan rotating) I get distracted by the sound and it is literally the only thing that I focus. I know all the dogs in my neighborhood by their barking, and had many a night without sleep thanks to them.

Along with the noise comes the vibration from motors, I hate when a car stops with the motor running bellow my windows, I can feel the vibration and it drives me nuts, I just want to go yell at them to turn the dam car off, the other day one went to the photocopy store in front and left the car running for at least 15 minutes, after several minutes I went to check if they had the AC running and didn’t want it to stop, but no, it was a clunker of a van without AC and that I’m sure consumes a lot of diesel and emits a lot of particles and fumes to the atmosphere, but the owner didn’t care.

From the bright side this helps when I’m waiting for deliveries, because many times I’ve felt the vibrations and went to the check the window and the van is coming down the street, so I don’t have to wait for them to ring the doorbell.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #34671
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
I can rant about having to good hearing, sometimes I wish I could just turn my earing of, if I hear any small noise at night I can’t sleep, and I can’t focus if I’m hearing noise that disturbs me (like a fan rotating) I get distracted by the sound and it is literally the only thing that I focus. I know all the dogs in my neighborhood by their barking, and had many a night without sleep thanks to them.
Wow, are we related? It's fantastic, but it's also a bit of a curse. I could hear dog whistles as a kid--not now, but my hearing is still far better than the average bear's. My husband's audiologist was shocked that I could hear the tones upon which he was being tested, inside a soundbooth, in a headset, outside of the booth and about 10' away.

It's also a nightmare when things happen--for example, I hear the beeping and whines of the smoke alarms for hours before he does. We have an integrated, serial system--so if one goes bad, they'll all go off if you don't find and fix "the one" before all hell breaks loose. Two of them are really, REALLY high up--like 16' up a wall, and one is in a niche--I can't explain or describe it, but it's nearly impossible to get to--and they're a nightmare to get to and test. When an electronic device has an issue, I'll hear the whine or alerts a day or two or once, 3, before he did and could help me find and fix it.

Dogs? OMG, don't get me started. People who go off to work for 9-10 hours of time each day, blithely assuming that their pooches are home and happy outdoors all day should be shot. Nightmare.

Quote:
Along with the noise comes the vibration from motors, I hate when a car stops with the motor running bellow my windows, I can feel the vibration and it drives me nuts, I just want to go yell at them to turn the dam car off, the other day one went to the photocopy store in front and left the car running for at least 15 minutes, after several minutes I went to check if they had the AC running and didn’t want it to stop, but no, it was a clunker of a van without AC and that I’m sure consumes a lot of diesel and emits a lot of particles and fumes to the atmosphere, but the owner didn’t care.
LOL...I wonder if that's somehow related to the sound/hearing thing? I've had similar things happen--vibrations through the floor alert me to this or that.

Quote:
From the bright side this helps when I’m waiting for deliveries, because many times I’ve felt the vibrations and went to the check the window and the van is coming down the street, so I don’t have to wait for them to ring the doorbell.
YUP. I do know exactly what you mean. In our case, between being able to hear them coming from at least a half-mile away, to feeling the 'vibes' through the floor (stone floor on concrete pad atop what is basically bedrock), you can circle the wagons to repel all boarders pretty early on!

Hitch
Old 09-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #34672
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Sounds like a case for a camera drone on a full moon night. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:50 PM   #34673
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
Ooooo - yeah, that's a great idea!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:36 AM   #34674
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
Mwahahaha....I do have an RC helicopter but trust me, the entire area would hear it, from all four mountainsides, lol! I don't have a stealthy drone, sadly. Hmmm...let's see, Amazon.com, drones....

Hitch
Old 09-22-2021, 07:33 PM   #34675
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
We live at the end of a long (a bit longer than a quarter mile) dead end. This morning, at about 10:15, a large truck on the through road that our dead end connects to, managed to snag some overhead cables. The driver didn't realize what had happened until he'd pulled down all of the cables from a few utility poles and snapped one utility pole in half. Our dead end and some of the houses on the through road lost power, etc.

Power was restored at about 6PM, but there are still plenty of cables down on the road. There's no access to our dead end.

Fortunately, my wife was out in her car at the time, so both cars aren't stuck here. When she got back she parked in the school parking lot just down the street from the mess. The utility companies that are still working to restore their lines estimate that they'll be done -- and access to our dead end will be restored -- around midnight.

The plan is for me to walk to the school and fetch my wife's car.

The weather forecast is for rain to begin just after midnight. I hope they're right about the timing!

EDIT: Just got the car. No rain yet, but the sky looks like it's about to start.

Last edited by cromag; 09-23-2021 at 01:15 AM.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #34676
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Hope your power came back on!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #34677
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
On Wednesday I had to get some blood taken for tests. The lady had trouble finding a vein, but did eventually find one. I'm not sure what happened but I now have a four by two inch bruise on the inside of my elbow.

I've had small bruises around the area where they stuck a needle in me before, but nothing like this.

Today is going to be a warm day, normally I would have just worn a short sleeved or sleeveless shirt, but now I have to wear a cardigan in the store, otherwise I'll get constantly asked what happened by customers.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #34678
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Having blood drawn is one time I am glad I have very fair skin. The vein in my elbow crease is so obvious they can't miss it.

I guess you could make up some crazy story about how you acquired the bruise
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #34679
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My skin isn't only fair, but also thin, the veins are very obvious to me, but apparently not one that she was able to use. When I donated blood one person told me my vein was very easy to find and the next time they had trouble finding it.

I got a tube of arnica salve to help speed up the healing. It'll come in handy anyway, since I do bruise very easily, though rarely this spectacular.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #34680
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My skin isn't only fair, but also thin, the veins are very obvious to me, but apparently not one that she was able to use. When I donated blood one person told me my vein was very easy to find and the next time they had trouble finding it.

I got a tube of arnica salve to help speed up the healing. It'll come in handy anyway, since I do bruise very easily, though rarely this spectacular.
Oh, gad, yes. I'm fish-belly-white, as they say and you can use my body for an anatomy class on vascular stuff. They can find my veins readily. I know the feeling--you go for blood work or whatever and then you look like a junkie for the rest of the week. :-)

If you also bruise easily (me, me me!), it can take days for the bruise to go away if you get a nurse or phlebotomist (yup, that's what not-nurse drawers are called) that is ham-handed.

Hitch

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness