Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #211
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
You do know that masks do way more to protect others from you if you're positive than they do to protect you from others if they're positive, right?

Not that they don't protect you a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Oh yeah - but I want any incoming virus to have to battle its way in to get to my nostrils!
Yeah, I figure me wearing a mask is better than nothing if for some reason I need to be near a person not wearing their own mask. Obviously I try to avoid such situations.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #212
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Well, another grim milestone, deaths in NC now > 15,000
Well, in under a month - deaths now top 16,000
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #213
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It's almost like the Delta variant leopards are getting fat from overeating at the unvaccinated face buffet.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:12 AM   #214
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
So apparently a study about mRNA vaccines and myocarditis? They used the wrong number for total number of vaccines administered. So it's closer to a 1-in-25,000 chance than the 1-in-1000 chance.

Unfortunately, anti-vaxxers have already taken it and run...

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-25-2021 at 05:39 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #215
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Nine hours and counting into a J&J booster (8 months after the initial jab). So far so nothing!

Chatted with the pharmacist about how the first jab was an almost surreal event by comparison: a drive-thru clinic at a county bus garage. This time it was quite boring: called the pharmacy, made an appointment. No one had to jump on my running-board to reach my arm or anything!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #216
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yeah ... totally surreal ... I remember the hours I spent on the phone and online trying to get an appointment in January ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:41 PM   #217
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I need to get my booster. Still terrified of needles but I got the J&J and its been 5 months.

My team lead at work tested positive this week and is now working from home. Two others are also now working from home because they're worried about contracting COVID.

In just general discussions about what constitutes exposure these days, I found out two of the younger girls on my team aren't vaccinated and don't intend to be. They both have kids in school. They also don't wear masks. Glad I'm not working with either of them next week.

The newest person on the team called out sick Thursday and Friday and apparently sounds just horrible on the phone. She's got underlying health issues too.

I need to get that booster scheduled for next Saturday so I have a day after to recover. I didn't feel so great after my first dose.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:54 PM   #218
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I had a surprise visit the other day from two friends who live in Botswana. They had both had COVID and subsequently the J & J shot, but what shook me was their statement that Botswana apparently has one of the highest, possibly the highest, percentage of population vaccinated of any country in Africa - FOURTEEN percent. Scary and sad.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:16 PM   #219
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I had a surprise visit the other day from two friends who live in Botswana. They had both had COVID and subsequently the J & J shot, but what shook me was their statement that Botswana apparently has one of the highest, possibly the highest, percentage of population vaccinated of any country in Africa - FOURTEEN percent. Scary and sad.
Is it a case of availability, or something else?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:19 PM   #220
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Yeah ... totally surreal ... I remember the hours I spent on the phone and online trying to get an appointment in January ...
Yep. My wife and I waited months for the first shots to become available. She got the last opening of her batch in March; I got mine a few weeks later. They took over a couple of parking lots at the local county college. Despite the chance for problems, it all went incredibly smoothly.

She just got her booster. She made an appointment online with Costco, drove in the next day, and got her shot. I'm due for my booster in November.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #221
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Mostly availability. My friends actually got their shots in South Africa, because of the difficulty getting them in Botswana. That scarcity of course compounds and feeds the sort of resistance/hesitancy issues seen in countries that do have greater access
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:39 PM   #222
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
They took over a couple of parking lots at the local county college. Despite the chance for problems, it all went incredibly smoothly.
I joke about the drive-thru clinic at the county bus garage (totally true) and someone jumping on the running board to give me a shot (also true), but they did a bang-up job for a small county mass clinic. Told 'em all so at the time.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:07 AM   #223
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Degree of confidence in government can be a major factor:

Papua New Guinea and Fiji were both facing COVID catastrophes. Why has one vaccine rollout surged and the other stalled?

Because no-one wanted them, PNG gifted 150,000 doses donated by New Zealand to Vietnam!

Right now Fiji (pop < 1M) is my covid poster child - https://www.health.gov.fj/29-10-2021/

As from tomorrow some of us can leave Australia, if we're fully vaxxed. And, providing we get a negative test before getting on the plane, come back with no quarantine. The 'some of us' relates to which state/territory we live in.

Since Delta broke out in June vax rates have surged in 3 states. Where I am we're currently at 92.8% first and 86.3% second. We could get 95% of the 12+ cohort fully vaccinated by Christmas.

I can get a booster on Jan 21.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:26 PM   #224
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I wasn’t eligible for a booster until a week ago when Moderna recipients were cleared. My appointment’s this Thursday at the local pharmacy; I could have saved a few days by going farther afield, but it didn’t seem worth the bother. Unlike the first rounds, when I would have gone to so much bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I joke about the drive-thru clinic at the county bus garage (totally true) and someone jumping on the running board to give me a shot (also true),
It never would have occurred to me to doubt this. I also got my first shots at a bus terminal and stuck my arm out the window of the car to get jabbed. No running board, though.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:27 PM   #225
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wasn’t eligible for a booster until a week ago when Moderna recipients were cleared. My appointment’s this Thursday at the local pharmacy; I could have saved a few days by going farther afield, but it didn’t seem worth the bother. Unlike the first rounds, when I would have gone to so much bother.
I almost went with Moderna for my booster, but I was a little hesitant to get only a half-dose booster (considering I only had the one full-dose jab of J&J). I'm sure it probably would have been fine, but I ultimately decided to go with a second full dose of J&J. I probably could have travelled for a Pfizer booster, but chose the less bothersome route as well.