Notices

Old 07-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #646
Obscured
Enthusiast
Obscured began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Likebook P78; Onyx Boox Note Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I'm not familiar with Xodo. Is it ignoring the DRM flags? Or are you saying that the Elipsa is unable to annotate a DRM free PDF?
I don't know what Xodo is up to technically. I'm saying, as I've tried to say without obviously making myself clear, is that the Kobo advertising for this device led me to suppose that I could have PDFs with saved notes etc, not as is the case just free form annotation.
Anyway (drum roll) I have another problem. A separate post is called for...
Obscured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:15 AM   #647
Obscured
Enthusiast

Library mostly deleted

I downloaded to the Elipsa around 150 epub books from my Windows 10 PC's Calibre. I sorted them into Collections. Later they had all disappeared. The collections folders remained, plus 5 PDFs that I had uploaded from Dropbox. Weird.
I followed the suggestion on the Rakuten Kobo troubleshooting advice section: repair etc. Nothing restored the missing books.
I had physically switched off the Elipsa, but it seems strange that this action could have caused the problem. I've reinstalled the books with no repeat of the issue, but I'm hesitating on switching off.

Last edited by Obscured; 07-12-2021 at 07:33 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #648
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
A PDF which does not have Adobe DRM can nevertheless still have other security settings.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #649
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
Sorry about the ambiguity of my post above. It was in partial answer to davidfor who asked: So, you have explicitly checked the books to make sure that they do not have any limitations?
This message appeared when I loaded a book with DRM - my PDF that showed markups didn't generate such an error message; so I thought that this indicated the probability that my earlier PDF was free from DRM.
Yes it does. But, as I have said several times, there are other security settings in PDFs. One of those is whether the PDF can be annotated. I have been trying to get you to look at this setting to see if the book that you can read, but cannot annotate has this set.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #650
Obscured
Enthusiast

I have previously checked the PDFs - at random now I've gone to one and checked: Properties/security and found that Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read, Write are all ticked.
Is that sufficient?
But, I think that we have established that PDFs protected or unprotected cannot have the same annotation as an epub.
See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7SQepOdim8
So...thanks for the help to everyone, but it's an issue for Kobo to sort out.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #651
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have previously checked the PDFs - at random now I've gone to one and checked: Properties/security and found that Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read, Write are all ticked.
Is that sufficient?
But, I think that we have established that PDFs protected or unprotected cannot have the same annotation as an epub.
See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7SQepOdim8
So...thanks for the help to everyone, but it's an issue for Kobo to sort out.
No, you said that you had PDFs that you could not annotate using the Elipsa. You did not say that the annotations work differently. Are you backing off and saying that you can annotate all your non-DRM protected PDFs? But, not necessarily in the way that you want to.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:18 AM   #652
Obscured
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, you said that you had PDFs that you could not annotate using the Elipsa. You did not say that the annotations work differently. Are you backing off and saying that you can annotate all your non-DRM protected PDFs? But, not necessarily in the way that you want to.
Davidfor, I can see that you have replied to me before and quoted me, stating:
"I've opened a PDF in Edge browser, it had previously been annotated on my computer using Xodo and subsequently on the Elipsa. Both sets of annotations are readable in Edge."
Scarcely "backing off".
I turned to this forum for help, I'm clearly no expert and I feel that if you wish to reply to me you would have the courtesy to read my replies and not misrepresent what I'm asking.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #653
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Elipsa officially states that it will not allow annotations with PDFs that have drm protection. I can certainly verify that, in fact I have been unable to annotate etc any PDFs. I have a variety of academic PDFs - freely available online - that are also not editable. I assume they are not DRMed but wouldn't know how to tell. I tried the Calibre plugin: "Apprentice Alf's DRM Removal Tool", but that didn't remove any DRM. It doesn't seem to have an option to work on an unspecified (non-Adobe) pdf.
I bought the Elipsa especially to use with PDFs and find this limitation very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
Davidfor, I can see that you have replied to me before and quoted me, stating:
"I've opened a PDF in Edge browser, it had previously been annotated on my computer using Xodo and subsequently on the Elipsa. Both sets of annotations are readable in Edge."
Scarcely "backing off".
I turned to this forum for help, I'm clearly no expert and I feel that if you wish to reply to me you would have the courtesy to read my replies and not misrepresent what I'm asking.
My problem is in your original post which I have quoted again and highlighted the section. You have stated you cannot annotate PDFs with DRM. But, you have also stated that you have other PDFs that you cannot annotate. What I have been asking is for you to check whether those PDFs have annotations not allowed in the security settings. If they do, then that explains why the Elipsa cannot annotate them. That another 3rd party tool does allow annotations doesn't mean the setting is off, as they might be deliberately ignoring it.

Lets be clear. All my responses have been about trying to clear this up. You made a statement of behaviour. I answered with an explanation of what could be the cause of that behaviour and how to check. You have not seen fit to do that check.

Or have I completely misunderstood what the problem is?
Old 07-13-2021, 03:35 AM   #654
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
I downloaded to the Elipsa around 150 epub books from my Windows 10 PC's Calibre. I sorted them into Collections. Later they had all disappeared. The collections folders remained, plus 5 PDFs that I had uploaded from Dropbox. Weird.
I followed the suggestion on the Rakuten Kobo troubleshooting advice section: repair etc. Nothing restored the missing books.
I had physically switched off the Elipsa, but it seems strange that this action could have caused the problem. I've reinstalled the books with no repeat of the issue, but I'm hesitating on switching off.

Keep notes on that behavior. My Elipsa had disappearing book issues, too. My situation may be completely different than yours, but because I kept notes here, I was able to get a replacement unit. Just waiting for it to arrive now. I detail my experience here if you're interested: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=340260

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #655
Obscured
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Keep notes on that behavior. My Elipsa had disappearing book issues, too. My situation may be completely different than yours, but because I kept notes here, I was able to get a replacement unit. Just waiting for it to arrive now. I detail my experience here if you're interested: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=340260
Thanks very much, really helpful. I'll do as you suggest and keep notes.
BTW in spite of my issues I really like the Elipsa and hope that a few tweaks to the software can get it sorted
Old 07-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #656
ciuvak
ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
My pen tip just suddenly snapped off today. Was just taking some notes, nothing crazy, just light pressure. Is this normal?
Was barely able to take out the rest of the stylus tip. Feel like it might've been a manufacturing defect. Have other wacom stylus pens, but never had this sort of issue.
ciuvak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #657
ciuvak
ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Here is a picture of the issue:
Old 07-14-2021, 03:37 AM   #658
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
That should't happen. You should contact Kobo and try to get a few replacements nibs. In the meantime, I hope you didn't throw away the stylus' packaging because it came with a replacement nib (see back of the inner carton).
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #659
ciuvak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
That should't happen. You should contact Kobo and try to get a few replacements nibs. In the meantime, I hope you didn't throw away the stylus' packaging because it came with a replacement nib (see back of the inner carton).
Thank you. Found the extra nib in the package. I saw the info about it in the booklet when I received the package, but completely forgot later.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:20 AM   #660
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question for those with data base problems

I usually realize my DB is corrupted when I connect Elipsa to Calibre in the morning to synchronize reading positions, and eventually add books.

Today I woke early and decided to read some. Only 825 books instead of 5000+ when I put it to sleep yesterday night. How come it corrupts while sleeping? At least, I can now prove it has nothing to do with Calibre.

Then I decided to explore some:
  • all the books visible are from authors whose name begins within the A-Cel range, but not all those authors within this range which should are visible
  • not all books from the visible authors are visible
  • the free memory is 21.3 MB, so all 5000+ are present
  • the F/w downgraded to 4.26.17826 (what has this to do with DB corruption?)
I just connected Elipsa to Calibre, and here is the error message

Spoiler:
CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 515, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1974, in books
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

I shall restore the last DB saved (16/07), and see whether it works before upgrading the F/w.

I wonder whether I should ask for an exchange, but I won't be home for more than 10 days at a time until mid-September.
The exchange request would be easier if I knew that many never had any problems, and whether many with big libraries never had either.
Also whether some those with recurring DB problems had smaller libraries.

I don't know how I could set up such staggered questionnaires. Can somebody direct me to the right How to?

Last edited by anacreon; 07-18-2021 at 01:30 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote