Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #586
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mtl View Post
Just got mine today! The screen is great, so much quicker than my Forma, and the notebook functionality is very neat.

I noticed though that the stylus's markup functionality doesn't seem to work for any kepubs converted by the Kobo Touch Extended driver (or kepubify). Works fine for original epubs though. Does anyone have ideas for a workaround there? I'd be sad to go back to regular epubs on the Elipsa.
At least you can access kepubs. Mine, that are converted by the KTE driver on-the-fly, will transfer but do not appear anywhere. (confirmed file is on the device)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:06 AM   #587
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Just got mine today! The screen is great, so much quicker than my Forma, and the notebook functionality is very neat.

I noticed though that the stylus's markup functionality doesn't seem to work for any kepubs converted by the Kobo Touch Extended driver (or kepubify). Works fine for original epubs though. Does anyone have ideas for a workaround there? I'd be sad to go back to regular epubs on the Elipsa.
Try this kobopatch libnickel patch (completely untested, and I've also barely even looked at these versions yet). You will need to make the kobopatch configuration from scratch since I haven't released updated patches yet.

Code:
Enable markup for sideloaded kepubs:
  - Enabled: yes
  - ReplaceBytes:
      Base: "KepubMarkupDelegate::isMarkupSupported(Volume const&)"
      Offset: 64
      FindInstBLX: {SymPLT: "Content::isSideLoaded() const"}
      ReplaceH: 4F F0 00 00
If it doesn't work, it may either do nothing, cause the reader to crash and reboot when viewing a sideloaded kepub book (until you remove the patch), or only partially enable markup.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #588
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm with you on this: It's the reading experience that I'm interested in.
So am I. Note taking doesn't interest me, and 10.3" is too large. And no buttons...

I want a Forma 2.0
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:02 AM   #589
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
So am I. Note taking doesn't interest me, and 10.3" is too large. And no buttons...

I want a Forma 2.0

I'm hoping that Kobo's courage in trying something new will be rewarded and that the Elipsa will be enough of a success to encourage them to refresh their e-reader range. Whether that's called a Forma 2.0 or a Libra Large, I don't mind
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #590
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post

I want a Forma 2.0

Yes! But without the 'Wedge of Woe' side-light.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #591
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by elipsajune View Post
Did you use PDF or CBZ?

As a follow up, I tested a kepub format manga today, and it was quite zippy when turning pages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #592
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
May I suggest adding Elipsa to the list of available prefixes when creating a new thread?
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #593
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
May I suggest adding Elipsa to the list of available prefixes when creating a new thread?
Yep and I wonder if a launch thread should be suggested? Not sure that the new users would like to read 600+ messages from February.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #594
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #595
av_mtl
av_mtl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (1st gen), Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Try this kobopatch libnickel patch (completely untested, and I've also barely even looked at these versions yet). You will need to make the kobopatch configuration from scratch since I haven't released updated patches yet.

Code:
Enable markup for sideloaded kepubs:
  - Enabled: yes
  - ReplaceBytes:
      Base: "KepubMarkupDelegate::isMarkupSupported(Volume const&)"
      Offset: 64
      FindInstBLX: {SymPLT: "Content::isSideLoaded() const"}
      ReplaceH: 4F F0 00 00
If it doesn't work, it may either do nothing, cause the reader to crash and reboot when viewing a sideloaded kepub book (until you remove the patch), or only partially enable markup.
Wow, it works! Only tested it very briefly, but I could use markup and nothing crashed. Thank you so much for sharing.
av_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:18 AM   #596
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Wow, it works! Only tested it very briefly, but I could use markup and nothing crashed. Thank you so much for sharing.
So it is indeed an artificial limitation. And, if the patch works that much, then it's probably all that's needed.

I wonder why Kobo chose to do this...
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:46 AM   #597
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I was reading a PDF, and wished to underscore a couple of paragraphs, but my finger didn't seem to work so I tried the stylus. I was sorely disappointed: you can't underscore cleanly with that, just a clumsy badly drawn line, and looking up annotations, it is many photos of a few lines.
Is there a way to do it?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:06 AM   #598
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Yeah it seems like there's no anti-aliasing in annotation mode.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:28 AM   #599
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Help : Database problems

I've had multiple problems with the Elipsa database since I have it, as I've explained in detail elsewhere
I had hoped now the DB is more or less stabilized, it would stop, but no! Since I saved it yesterday evening, it should be more or less painless, but I'd like to understand.
So here is this morning's error message
Spoiler:
CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 515, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1974, in books
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

And here the result of Kobo Utilities' DB check:
Spoiler:
Résultat de l'exécution de la commande 'PRAGMA integrity_check' sur la base de données du dispositif Kobo:

*** in database main ***
On tree page 488604 cell 2: Rowid 27 out of order
On tree page 486720 cell 109: Rowid 449397 out of order
Page 487960: btreeInitPage() returns error code 11
On tree page 486720 cell 105: Rowid 449389 out of order
On tree page 487934 cell 1: Rowid 449431 out of order
On tree page 486720 cell 103: Rowid 449385 out of order
On tree page 488042 cell 1: Rowid 449415 out of order
On tree page 487952 cell 1: Rowid 449427 out of order
On tree page 486720 cell 98: Child page depth differs
On tree page 486720 cell 97: Child page depth differs
On tree page 486720 cell 95: Rowid 449371 out of order
On tree page 488560 cell 1: Rowid 449423 out of order
On tree page 488591 cell 1: Rowid 449417 out of order
On tree page 488060 cell 1: Rowid 449437 out of order
On tree page 486720 cell 90: 2nd reference to page 200655
On tree page 119905 cell 1: Rowid 449413 out of order
On tree page 119902 cell 1: Rowid 449411 out of order
On tree page 119906 cell 1: Rowid 449409 out of order
On tree page 486720 cell 81: Rowid 449343 out of order
On tree page 486720 cell 81: 2nd reference to page 120425
On tree page 486720 cell 80: 2nd reference to page 488149
On tree page 19490 cell 1: overflow list length is 1 but should be 2
On tree page 53031 cell 8: 2nd reference to page 53260
On tree page 53031 cell 6: 2nd reference to page 53247
On tree page 53031 cell 5: 2nd reference to page 53238
On tree page 53031 cell 4: 2nd reference to page 53220
On tree page 53031 cell 3: 2nd reference to page 53205
On tree page 53031 cell 2: 2nd reference to page 53171
On tree page 53031 cell 1: 2nd reference to page 53156
On tree page 53031 cell 0: 2nd reference to page 52873
On tree page 51634 cell 8: invalid page number 490435
On tree page 51634 cell 8: Child page depth differs
On tree page 489169 cell 7: invalid page number 490434
On tree page 489169 cell 6: invalid page number 490430
On tree page 489169 cell 5: invalid page number 490420
On tree page 489169 cell 4: 2nd reference to page 487917
Page 488244: btreeInitPage() returns error code 11
On tree page 488452 cell 1: Rowid 449467 out of order
On tree page 51634 cell 7: Child page depth differs
Page 488271: btreeInitPage() returns error code 11
On tree page 52883 cell 1: Rowid 51804 out of order
Page 200346: btreeInitPage() returns error code 11
On tree page 51811 cell 0: 2nd reference to page 448201
On tree page 19721 cell 5: 2nd reference to page 485333
On tree page 19721 cell 6: 2nd reference to page 485318
On tree page 19721 cell 5: 2nd reference to page 485300
On tree page 19721 cell 4: 2nd reference to page 485279
On tree page 19721 cell 3: 2nd reference to page 485263
On tree page 485249 cell 4: Rowid 218370 out of order
On tree page 19295 cell 8: Child page depth differs
On tree page 19295 cell 7: Child page depth differs
On tree page 19295 cell 6: 2nd reference to page 127407
On tree page 119904 cell 3: Rowid 219139 out of order
On tree page 19228 cell 4: Child page depth differs
On tree page 19228 cell 3: Child page depth differs
On tree page 157601 cell 7: Child page depth differs
On tree page 49913 cell 2: 2nd reference to page 119896
On tree page 49913 cell 2: Child page depth differs
On tree page 49913 cell 1: Child page depth differs
On tree page 52916 cell 0: 2nd reference to page 54175
On tree page 52916 cell 6: 2nd reference to page 54293
On tree page 52916 cell 5: 2nd reference to page 54002
On tree page 52916 cell 4: 2nd reference to page 53839
On tree page 52916 cell 3: 2nd reference to page 53764
On tree page 52916 cell 2: 2nd reference to page 53727
On tree page 52916 cell 1: Child page depth differs
On tree page 51630 cell 2: 2nd reference to page 291014
On tree page 51630 cell 2: Child page depth differs
On tree page 51630 cell 1: Child page depth differs
On tree page 51630 cell 0: 2nd reference to page 488061
On tree page 51630 cell 0: Child page depth differs
On tree page 42065 cell 6: Child page depth differs
On tree page 53037 cell 5: 2nd reference to page 53239
On tree page 53037 cell 7: 2nd reference to page 53226
On tree page 53037 cell 6: 2nd reference to page 53150
On tree page 53037 cell 5: 2nd reference to page 53140
On tree page 53037 cell 4: 2nd reference to page 53118
On tree page 53037 cell 3: 2nd reference to page 53103
On tree page 53037 cell 2: 2nd reference to page 53135
On tree page 53037 cell 1: 2nd reference to page 53084
On tree page 53037 cell 0: 2nd reference to page 53068
On tree page 52915 cell 5: 2nd reference to page 53127
On tree page 52915 cell 8: 2nd reference to page 52955
On tree page 52915 cell 7: 2nd reference to page 52948
On tree page 52915 cell 6: 2nd reference to page 52937
On tree page 52915 cell 5: 2nd reference to page 52914
On tree page 52915 cell 4: 2nd reference to page 52966
On tree page 52915 cell 3: 2nd reference to page 52909
On tree page 52915 cell 2: 2nd reference to page 52978
On tree page 52915 cell 1: 2nd reference to page 52998
On tree page 52915 cell 0: 2nd reference to page 53023
On tree page 42065 cell 5: Child page depth differs
On tree page 42065 cell 3: invalid page number 490414
On tree page 42065 cell 3: Child page depth differs
Page 422191: btreeInitPage() returns error code 11
On tree page 42065 cell 2: Child page depth differs
On tree page 435301 cell 4: Rowid 219117 out of order
On tree page 49482 cell 3: invalid page number 490413
On tree page 49482 cell 3: Child page depth differs
On tree page 51600 cell 1: invalid page number 490412

Furthermore I can't open any of the PDFs I was happily reading on Elipsa, while the kepubs work fine. I suppose it is linked with the DB problems.

Can somebody explain what might be happening, so I could understand and prevent it recurring again and again?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:40 AM   #600
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I've had multiple problems with the Elipsa database since I have it, as I've explained in detail elsewhere
I had hoped now the DB is more or less stabilized, it would stop, but no! Since I saved it yesterday evening, it should be more or less painless, but I'd like to understand.
So here is this morning's error message
Spoiler:
CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 515, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1974, in books
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

And here the result of Kobo Utilities' DB check:

Furthermore I can't open any of the PDFs I was happily reading on Elipsa, while the kepubs work fine. I suppose it is linked with the DB problems.

Can somebody explain what might be happening, so I could understand and prevent it recurring again and again?
The errors tell me that the database has been corrupted. The messages from check says it is corrupted in ways that it cannot be recovered. Or at least I don't know of a way to recover it.

The database is being corrupted because something is going wrong. What, I have no idea, just something is preventing the database from be written correctly. It can happen when you don't eject the device correctly at the wrong time. It would also happen if the process updating the database had crashed without the the database being save properly.

It could be calibre. I would not expect so, but, there could be something new on the device that disagrees with calibre. To check that, you would need to test the database before using calibre. You can do that from any SQLite database management tool. And check again after using calibre before ejecting.

It could also be some interaction with your PC. Testing with another PC would help to check this.

It could be a hardware problem. As it seems to be happening continuously for you, that is likely. I don't think I have seen another report of a problem with the database on an Elipsa.

Other than doing some of these tests, and keeping track of what you are doing so that you can see a pattern for when it happens, I don't have any suggestions. You can contact Kobo and they could ask for a log file to look at. That gets produced in developers mode. Unfortunately, it is now encrypted so we can't look at it. Or, they might decide it is a hardware problem and exchange it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote