Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2023, 11:40 AM   #1141
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Short story I read in a British anthology in the late 70s.

A man witnesses a procession representing the entire history of humanity. It culminates with struggling slaves carrying huge machine pyramids, representing computers I suppose. Then finally the humans free themselves and become dancing people with oddly bending limbs.

The style was old, but I cannot locate it among Wells or Stapledon's work. It may not be that old.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 07:03 AM   #1142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Not TV-adapted (AFAIK), but Feist's Riftwar books are a possibility.

By "a long time ago" are we talking 1970s? 2000s? A little help there could narrow things down. Some people might call The Lies of Locke Lamora a "long time ago". If we're talking a REALLY long time ago... mmmmaybe Jack Vance's second Dying Earth book? Otherwise, yep, Fritz Leiber.

The Queen's Thief series is very good, though I don't remember a guild as such.
All of what @Colonel Cathcart is describing points to Discworld.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2023, 02:03 AM   #1143
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
looking for a book.......

It was book about a guy that could posses bodies of bad guys, then he would let the people he possess end up dead or in jail, then he jumps to the next body.

I know the first one was he woke up in the body of a biker dude.

Any ideas??
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 02:20 AM   #1144
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Hellrider? https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/42789399
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 02:25 AM   #1145
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Thanks for that. Thats not the book. UGH. I wish I could offer more information. The guy just goes from one body to the next. Not really having control over who's body he ends up in, just its always a crappy person. So he makes sure the crappy person gets what they deserve.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2023, 05:14 AM   #1146
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Maybe Karma Police by Aaron Wiener.

Or one of the 6 book series also called Karma Police by Sean Platt and David Wright.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 06:19 AM   #1147
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Deleted, self referencing.

Last edited by John F; 08-27-2023 at 08:27 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:22 AM   #1148
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post
It was book about a guy that could posses bodies of bad guys, then he would let the people he possess end up dead or in jail, then he jumps to the next body.

Any ideas??

Wasn't there some kind of Zelazny title of body hopping?

Or was it one of those wonderfully old and wacky A.E. Van Vogt titles?

Anyway, a couple of years ago, I DID read something similar to that. But that's all I remember.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-08-2023 at 05:25 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:35 AM   #1149
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I read a short story about body hopping many years ago. The viewpoint was from the perspective of the victim. He was now in the body of a very old man. Then the thief, occupying the young body was killed by a car while crossing the street.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:37 AM   #1150
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post

Any ideas??
At least some of this description matches Kick (The Jenkins Cycle #1) by John L. Monk. (I haven't read it. All-knowing, all-seeing Google led me to it. It's available on Amazon.)

An entertaining book with body hopping is Touch by Claire North, and though I've read it, I can't remember any details.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:40 AM   #1151
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Wasn't there some kind of Zelazny title of body hopping?
There's body switching or hopping in Lord of Light, at least Google search results tell me so, and though I've read it twice, once not all that long ago, I have no memory of it.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 07:12 PM   #1152
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
For me its almost impossible to describe but there was a fantasy series I read as a teen I just can't remember the name. I read it in the early 80s to mid 1980s and I remember a cover with a pyramid and a hooded man. For the life of me i can't remember what it was about but I want to find it. I think the man was an assassin. Not sure. it came out around the time Decision at Doona was published first so sometime after 1969 perhaps

Last edited by HLS; 11-15-2023 at 07:18 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:38 AM   #1153
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
For me its almost impossible to describe but there was a fantasy series I read as a teen I just can't remember the name. I read it in the early 80s to mid 1980s and I remember a cover with a pyramid and a hooded man. For the life of me i can't remember what it was about but I want to find it. I think the man was an assassin. Not sure. it came out around the time Decision at Doona was published first so sometime after 1969 perhaps
Is this it? This is what cam immediately to mind from your description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illuminatus!_Trilogy

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:34 AM   #1154
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post

Greg
ill take a loook
Old 11-18-2023, 09:34 AM   #1155
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post

Greg
Sorry that is not it. it was not a trilogy. it had a real pyramid on the cover. And actual structure like part of a city and its like a 5+ book series

Last edited by HLS; 11-18-2023 at 02:03 PM.

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths