Old 05-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
slasor
slasor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
CC not working on Kindle

I've used calibre for awhile now and just discovered the CC for my kindle

but i cant get it to work
i've tried following the FAQ and help guides but it isn't connecting
i''ve tried the server and wifi options and tried seeing if there is anything i can do

i've been into my firewall and looks like calibre is now part of my work/private network
i've tried manually entering the IP and port address' also
and when i now go into start a wireless connection with calibre i have two address'

any suggestions?
slasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasor View Post
I've used calibre for awhile now and just discovered the CC for my kindle

but i cant get it to work
i've tried following the FAQ and help guides but it isn't connecting
i''ve tried the server and wifi options and tried seeing if there is anything i can do

i've been into my firewall and looks like calibre is now part of my work/private network
and when i now go into start a wireless connection with calibre i have two address'

any suggestions?
Wireless Connection and Content Server MUST use 2 different PORTS (the :8080 or :9090 part). The IP is the same (your machine)

Note that if you use DHCP, your IP can change UNLESS YOU TAKE SOME STEPS. This (a fixed IP entry) is only needed if you specify an IP in CC's config AND if you need to access from outside your LAN
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2015, 04:19 AM   #3
slasor

problem was my antiviral. had to go in and look at what was being blocked and work from there

short of me deleting all my books on my kindle an resending them
how can i sync what i have already on my kindle/celibre with cc?
Old 05-30-2015, 04:33 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is hard to say without more details. First:
Quote:
You are saying that in calibre when you click on the connect/share button you see two IP addresses next to "Stop wireless device"? This could be the source of the problem. Do you have two network cards? Is one of the IP addresses a VPN? Are you running something like VirtualBox that creates multiple IP addresses? If you do have multiple IP addresses then reply on this thread supplying the IP addresses and why they exist.

You want calibre to show the IP address that matches what you see on WiFi. If your home router has an IP address something like 192.168.0.1 then you want calibre to use an IP address beginning with 192.168.0. Your kindle (which Fire is it?) should have an IP address beginning with the same numbers.

As theducks said, verify that the port numbers in calibre for the content server and the wireless device are different. I suggest that for the moment you use the defaults: 8080 for the content server and 9090 for the wireless device.

Once the IP addresses and ports are straightened out, the next thing is to check that the web browser on the Fire can "see" the calibre content server. Assuming that the content server port is 8080, enter something like "http://192.168.0.N:8080/" where N is the last number of the IP address of the machine running calibre. If this doesn't work then the problem is in one of the following places:
  • The home router will not pass information from WiFi to the machine running calibre (Guest Mode, Wireless Isolation, multiband)
  • The firewall on the machine running calibre is rejecting incoming or outgoing packets
  • The antivirus on the machine running calibre is rejecting incoming or outgoing packets.

If the device can "see" the content server then it is time to try CC. Change CC's wireless device settings to "Automatic" and attempt to connect. If it doesn't work then I will need debug logs from both CC and calibre. The FAQ answer How do I get help?. Please send the debug logs to cc_debug_logs at charles dot haleys dot org. Erase the MultiPie address.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:26 AM   #5
slasor

i think i've resolved it by going into my antiviral>firewall>then looking at what was blocked and slowly going through the list (what looked like the Ip address for the kindle/cc 192.168.0.14)

now when i select connect wireless i have a sync with calibre
content server shows me all my books on the computer

how do i go about syncing what i already have on my kindle (mostly via calibre; but a few from amazon) so that they show in CC?
Advert
Old 05-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
i think i've resolved it by going into my antiviral>firewall>then looking at what was blocked and slowly going through the list (what looked like the Ip address for the kindle/cc 192.168.0.14)
Good!
Quote:
how do i go about syncing what i already have on my kindle (mostly via calibre; but a few from amazon) so that they show in CC?
First, CC "knows" only about books that it received from calibre. It can't know about books that arrived over a cabled connection or via Amazon's cloud.

However, CC can scan for books and ask calibre for the metadata. What the scan will find depends on where the books are stored. I assume you purchased CC from Amazon, in which case CC's default storage folder is /Books. When you connect as a wireless device, and assuming CC's scan-on-connect option is set (it is by default), then CC will ask calibre if it knows about any of the books it finds in that folder. Calibre may or may not say it does. Books that are not matched will be obvious.

It is very possible that calibre will not be able to identify the book even though calibre put it on the device in the first place. See the FAQ I have books calibre shows as "On Device" but not as "In Library". What do I do? for one way to resolve this.

It might turn out to be easier to delete the other copies and resend the books to CC.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
slasor

thanks

looking at it CC is what i need to start using moving forward and slowly switch over
thank you