Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #61
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you saying that the widgets are not on this list but are available in the equivalent of the widget drawer, or that they are not available at all, anywhere?

Not having any idea how the ribbon works, I don't know what I must do (if anything) to make the widgets appear there. Widgets are supposed to be available on any device running android 4.0.1 or better: API level 14. Android 4.0.4 is API level 15, so it should work.
Sorry for not replying sooner, been out all morning. I can't find the widgets anywhere on the Samsung Galaxy Note1 Android 4.0.4. I only know one way to select widgets on this device and that's the way I outlined in the previous post.

One problem may be that I've only ever had access to Samsung Android devices, so what I think of as 'normal' may in fact be some Samsung TouchWiz overlay to 'real' Android. Here's a short YouTube clip which demos adding widgets on a Note1 (I've never linked video before so I hope I haven't made a mess of it).

Available widgets appear in alphabetic order so I'd expect CC widgets to appear between 'Booking.com' and 'Clock' on this phone but none of them do. I did also check the whole widget 'ribbon' just in case - no sign of them.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #62
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Thanks!

FYI: I just discovered that once you turn it on you can't turn it off without unchecking the option then rebooting your device. I will fix that.
The auto connect didn't work. I didn't get my news feeds and Calibre doesn't show that a connection was made. I sent CC and Calibre logs.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #63
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
The auto connect didn't work. I didn't get my news feeds and Calibre doesn't show that a connection was made. I sent CC and Calibre logs.
Thanks!

It is funny that the first time someone tried this we run into one of the limits. Auto-connect will not work if it finds more than one calibre instance because it doesn't know which one to connect to and cannot ask. In your test, CC found two calibre instances so it gave up. However ...

The log indicates that you are using a fixed IP address with fallback to auto, where the fallback broadcast found 1 calibre instance. That is a reasonable case that I didn't think to implement. I will fix that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #64
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Thanks!

It is funny that the first time someone tried this we run into one of the limits. Auto-connect will not work if it finds more than one calibre instance because it doesn't know which one to connect to and cannot ask. In your test, CC found two calibre instances so it gave up. However ...

The log indicates that you are using a fixed IP address with fallback to auto, where the fallback broadcast found 1 calibre instance. That is a reasonable case that I didn't think to implement. I will fix that.
I never do things the "normal" way.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #65
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Interesting. I also would see multiple calibres depending on time of day; my wife's PC is still asleep first thing in the morning which is when I would be doing an automatic connection. I do have the IP address for the instance *I* want to connect to specified in the Wireless Device Connection settings of CC.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #66
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Interesting. I also would see multiple calibres depending on time of day; my wife's PC is still asleep first thing in the morning which is when I would be doing an automatic connection. I do have the IP address for the instance *I* want to connect to specified in the Wireless Device Connection settings of CC.
The problem arises only if you have both an IP address specified and the "Fallback" box checked. This is a situation I can fix.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #67
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Sorry for not replying sooner, been out all morning. I can't find the widgets anywhere on the Samsung Galaxy Note1 Android 4.0.4. I only know one way to select widgets on this device and that's the way I outlined in the previous post.
Although widget selection is quite different from "stock" Android, I don't see anything that would prevent you from seeing the widgets.

I tried CC on an Android 4.0.3 emulator and it worked, which means that it must be something particular to that device. One thing you can try if you haven't: reboot it. That seems to fix things on Samsung (and other) devices.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #68
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried CC on an Android 4.0.3 emulator and it worked, which means that it must be something particular to that device. One thing you can try if you haven't: reboot it. That seems to fix things on Samsung (and other) devices.
I did already try rebooting yesterday but it made no difference. The Note1's not here at the moment but I will give it another reboot and report back. I'm afraid I'm not hopeful

To be honest my husband won't care whether he has a book widget but I thought you may have other users with similar setups.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #69
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I did already try rebooting yesterday but it made no difference. The Note1's not here at the moment but I will give it another reboot and report back. I'm afraid I'm not hopeful

To be honest my husband won't care whether he has a book widget but I thought you may have other users with similar setups.
I totally agree with the sentiment here -- I want to understand what is happening. Unfortunately I don't, and without equipment I can't.

I can send you a private APK that does not contain the test for Android 4.0.1 or better for widgets. If the widgets show in that version then we know that the version on Samsung android on the device is not following the rules. If they don't show then something else is going on (sigh). I can understand if you don't want to do this. It isn't your device and it is a one-off version of CC, both of which argue against the attempt. Let me know.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #70
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can send you a private APK that does not contain the test for Android 4.0.1 or better for widgets. If the widgets show in that version then we know that the version on Samsung android on the device is not following the rules. If they don't show then something else is going on (sigh). I can understand if you don't want to do this. It isn't your device and it is a one-off version of CC, both of which argue against the attempt. Let me know.
Please, send the apk. He won't mind as long as I choose my testing time sensibly I'll install the official version once the testing is over.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-13-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:53 AM   #71
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Please, send the apk. He won't mind as long as I choose my testing time sensibly I'll install the official version once the testing is over.
Sent.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #72
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can send you a private APK that does not contain the test for Android 4.0.1 or better for widgets. If the widgets show in that version then we know that the version on Samsung android on the device is not following the rules. If they don't show then something else is going on (sigh).
I've installed the one-off apk. I'm afraid the 3 widgets are still AWOL. I did yet another reboot but still no joy

ETA: Forgot to say. The new shortcut does still work.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-14-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: shortcut
Old 04-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #73
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've installed the one-off apk. I'm afraid the 3 widgets are still AWOL. I did yet another reboot but still no joy

ETA: Forgot to say. The new shortcut does still work.
One other thought. Perhaps the Note cannot handle widgets that have the same name. I will send you another APK that has different names.

Don't worry if you have reached the end of the amount of effort you can spend on this.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #74
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Don't worry if you have reached the end of the amount of effort you can spend on this.
Bring it on - I'm on a roll
Old 04-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #75
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I can hardly bring myself to write this ...

I loaded the 2nd one-off apk - no widgets - so another reboot. I casually looked down at the Home screen mid-reboot to see a greyed-out CC icon with a little SD on it. and I realise my husband must have moved CC to the external SD card. I believe widgets only work if the app is installed in main memory - a fact I'd completely forgotten about since my 2 Android devices are KitKat and I've kept all apps in main memory.

Once the reboot was complete I moved CC back to the phone, lo and behold a CC widget appears. It's the 'CC list' one only. Is this what you would expect? The good news is that it works OK. The 'official 3.6.3c' will probably also run OK but I'm not sure how to reinstall it over the one-off. Do I need to wait for 3.6.3d?

Sincere apologies for all the extra work