Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #46
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I changed the thumbs from "2 times normal" to "3 times normal". This should help without overfilling the smaller boxes (I hope).
Sounds acceptable to me.

Good luck with all your current tweaks.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #47
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
V3.6.3c has been published

Changes are:
  • Use a bigger thumb in the widgets so that the larger sizes such as 3x3 look better.
  • Attempt to account for bigger icons on higher-res tablets when creating shortcuts
  • Separate the list of books sent to a reading app from the "last read" date. The new list is in settings, not in the database, so there won't be a database upgrade.
  • Handle "portrait - expand to fill" cover mode when creating thumbs.
  • Increase the number of thumbs from 5 to 6

Last edited by chaley; 04-12-2015 at 11:59 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #48
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
@Chaley: Did you change the number of "last read" books to display? I'm viewing 6 now, instead of 5. Apart from that, it works great on my Nexus 7, Note 4 and S3 with the increased cover size.

Last edited by Dhevi; 04-12-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #49
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@chaley,

The new widgets look fantastic on both GNote3 and GTabPro. I love that they are fully resizeable and the covers will expand/contract (to a degree) depending on how many "cells" you can afford to devote to them on the Home screen. Just a personal opinion but I have not found a widget in any other book app which looks/works better on either of my devices.

Regarding the shortcut: on both my devices the CC version is now the same height as those from the other reading apps.

I also have 6 books in all 3 widgets, but don't have any problem with Buy-5-get-1-free

ETA: Forgot to mention that 'Handle "portrait - expand to fill" cover mode when creating thumbs' is working fine.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-12-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: "portrait - expand to fill"
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #50
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
@Chaley: Did you change the number of "last read" books to display? I'm viewing 6 now, instead of 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I also have 6 books in all 3 widgets, but don't have any problem with Buy-5-get-1-free
I confess -- I did it. The last thumb in the grid view looked alone all on its line, so I gave it a friend.

On a more serious vein, does having 6 instead of 5 books change anything for the worse? If so, I can reduce it to 4. I can even go back to 5 and just accept that that one thumb will be lonely.
Advert
Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #51
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On a more serious vein, does having 6 instead of 5 books change anything for the worse?
I can't see why it would. If you want to see less covers there's always the user option of reducing widget height. All 3 are scrollable, after all.

ETA: I could forsee some users requesting not to impose a limit at all.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-12-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: no limit
Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #52
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
A limit, I feel, would be best. I have no issues with a count of 6 to round matters.

And as to the matter of Mantano, still no further crashes as of yet. I still hold to the belief that it would have more to do with Mantano though.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #53
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
[*]Ask for confirmation if in the content server the use of "download all" will download more than 10 books.
[*]Add Format as a field in book details
Both of these seem to work as advertised.

Quote:
[*]Auto-connect to calibre as a wireless device at a given time of day. Used to auto-fetch news etc.
[*]Allow Series to be hierarchical
I have to confess to not being sure how to test either of these. I'm not a calibre News user. Maybe one of the other beta-testers can oblige.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #54
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
[*]Ask for confirmation if in the content server the use of "download all" will download more than 10 books.
[*]Add Format as a field in book details
Both of these seem to work as advertised.
Thanks for trying them!
Quote:
Quote:
[*]Auto-connect to calibre as a wireless device at a given time of day. Used to auto-fetch news etc.
I have to confess to not being sure how to test either of these. I'm not a calibre News user. Maybe one of the other beta-testers can oblige.
I have the same problem -- I don't use news and I don't use reading list to queue up sending books to my device.

I have tested auto-connect by setting up an auto-connect and seeing if it happens at the right time . It does. Unfortunately that doesn't determine whether the feature satisfies the need. I have queries the two people who asked for it to see if either or both would be interesting in joining the beta program to try it.
Quote:
[*]Allow Series to be hierarchical
This one is is straightforward. If you have series names with periods in them then enabling hierarchy will work like it works elsewhere. There is no need for you to go out of your way to try it.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #55
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Just to be explicit: I want to thank all of you who have commented on the widgets and the shortcuts. The feature is better for it. Your time isn't free, and I greatly appreciate your spending it to help me improve CC.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #56
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
The widgets look great and I see the "last opened" has been implemented. For folks that don't know you might want to add in your description that the widgets are resizable.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #57
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@chaley,

Back to widgets for a moment. I've just been updating CC on my husband's Galaxy Note 1 (Android 4.0.4). If I long-press Home screen then select Widgets I get a "horizontal scrolling ribbon" of available widgets to select from along the bottom of the screen. I don't see any of the 3 CC entries in there. Is this what you would expect?

The shortcut option does work OK.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #58
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Thanks for trying them!
I have the same problem -- I don't use news and I don't use reading list to queue up sending books to my device.

I have tested auto-connect by setting up an auto-connect and seeing if it happens at the right time . It does. Unfortunately that doesn't determine whether the feature satisfies the need. I have queries the two people who asked for it to see if either or both would be interesting in joining the beta program to try it.
This one is is straightforward. If you have series names with periods in them then enabling hierarchy will work like it works elsewhere. There is no need for you to go out of your way to try it.
I won't be using the auto connect, but I just set it to connect tomorrow morning after my news feeds finish.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #59
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@chaley,

Back to widgets for a moment. I've just been updating CC on my husband's Galaxy Note 1 (Android 4.0.4). If I long-press Home screen then select Widgets I get a "horizontal scrolling ribbon" of available widgets to select from along the bottom of the screen. I don't see any of the 3 CC entries in there. Is this what you would expect?
Are you saying that the widgets are not on this list but are available in the equivalent of the widget drawer, or that they are not available at all, anywhere?

Not having any idea how the ribbon works, I don't know what I must do (if anything) to make the widgets appear there. Widgets are supposed to be available on any device running android 4.0.1 or better: API level 14. Android 4.0.4 is API level 15, so it should work.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:00 AM   #60
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I won't be using the auto connect, but I just set it to connect tomorrow morning after my news feeds finish.
Thanks!

FYI: I just discovered that once you turn it on you can't turn it off without unchecking the option then rebooting your device. I will fix that.