Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-19-2015, 05:32 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Request of people who tried CC Demo then bought CC Full

This is a call for help ...

On Google Play, CC Demo is collecting a rather large number of negative reviews without offsetting positive ones, while CC Full continues to attract mostly positive reviews. One theory is that people who like CC Demo then switch to CC Full leave reviews for CC Full, while people who don't like CC Demo (and therefore don't switch) leave negative reviews for CC Demo.

Our request: if you tried CC Demo, switched to CC Full and reviewed CC Full, even if just clicking a number stars, could you leave the same review for CC Demo?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by chaley; 03-19-2015 at 06:05 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i can't honestly do that as I skipped the demo & went straight to full.
but looking at store, it says 85 reviews yet only shows me 12 comments. maybe the others were stars with no text ?
of the 12 - it's much like any other app reviews , you have some fans, some brief anti's & a couple who say what's the point or too difficult. Show me an app that doesn't have some of those ?

the average score I see for the demo is 3.6, ( 4.6 for full) . 3.6 out of 5 is not BAD
are you seeing a lower value ?

( maybe what I see is filtered for my country ? )

for comparison mantano pro 4.0, alkido pro 4.1 .
you can't please all of the people all of the time
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Below 4 stars is bad. Reasons:

Google provides a filter in the play store to show only apps with 4 stars or better. AndroidPolice says that this should "in theory, should weed out most bad or exploitive apps." BGR, a reasonably well reputed mobile app news source published "Here’s how to find only the best apps on the Google Play Store", referencing the 4+ star filter.

Apparently Google takes rating into consideration when searching. It isn't clear whether this would hurt us much, but it can't help.

According to this survey, 3% of buyers will not download an app if it has less than 5 stars and another 35% of buyers will not download an app if it has less than 4 stars, so almost 38% of users won't consider less than 4. Another 39% will not download an app if it has less than 3 stars. Thus 77% of the market considers below 3 star as junk.

Finally this page says that "According to Google, apps that earn a 4- or 5-star rating average almost 29 times more revenue than do lower rated apps."

Last edited by chaley; 03-19-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
I just tried to leave a review for demo, and cannot. It has to be currently installed...
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
I just tried to leave a review for demo, and cannot. It has to be currently installed...
for trying.
Advert
Old 03-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
for trying.
But I left one for the full (not demo) app.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so are the feedbacks regionalised. i.e. when I see 85 total, only 12 with text is that for worldwide or just for UK ?

if it is only 85 worldwide then you need only a few "helpers" to install & award 5 stars, to kick that average up past 4.0 ,if that's your goal.
I should be able to do the math on that mentally , but am not feeling quite bright enough

85x3.6 + nx5 = 4x(85+n) solve for n & round up ?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
so are the feedbacks regionalised. i.e. when I see 85 total, only 12 with text is that for worldwide or just for UK ?
AFAIK, everyone sees all the numbers, in this case the 85 reviews. You see the text of reviews in your language. There are currently 15 reviews that have text. One is in Portuguese, one in Spanish, one in German, with the remaining 12 in English.
Quote:
if it is only 85 worldwide then you need only a few "helpers" to install & award 5 stars, to kick that average up past 4.0 ,if that's your goal.
I should be able to do the math on that mentally , but am not feeling quite bright enough

85x3.6 + nx5 = 4x(85+n) solve for n & round up ?
The equation is correct, assuming all new reviews are 5 star. The value for 'n' is perhaps larger than you are estimating. The solution:
Quote:
85x3.6 + 5n = 4(85+n)
306 + 5n = 340 + 4n
5n - 4n = 340 - 306
n = 34

Last edited by chaley; 03-19-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I almost NEVER (.00000001) give 5 stars to Anything

5 is Perfect
Very little is Perfect in my book.
Even my favorite music and books only get a 4

I have given out a few 1's (OMG , they were selling this junk) over the years

Sorry Charles, I gave it (the full version. No Demo) a 4

5 is mostly reserved for Deities
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Our request: if you tried CC Demo, switched to CC Full ...
I tried CC Demo did not buy CC. Not that I do not like it, but for my needs and my usecase the full [paid] CC is an overkill. I can sideload those few books I want to have in my mobile phone the same way I am sideloading to my e-ink reader.

How do I rate an app without joining BLOODY Google+?
I am willing to rate your app, because you deserve it for the hard work on CC and other things (Calibre Plugins and suchlike), but I am very reluctant to join BLOODY Google+.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
Jeremy Pallant
Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy Pallant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NVIDIA Shield Tablet 32GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Ditto. I have already left a positive review for the full version.
Jeremy Pallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

No problem at all. I am not going to try to tell people what review value they should give.

However, I would like people to say why they are giving a review: good, bad, or middle. We pay attention to comments in reviews that aren't hate mail, trying to improve CC or ensure that we don't dis-improve it. I also wish that people who are clearly trying to have conversation (report a bug or ask for help) not use the review system, because we cannot converse.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I can't test that as I'm already in google+
I had to join & stay joined or lose all my youtube favorites (= google blackmail).

so do you need to be in google+ in order to buy or download an app - surely not ?
& do you need google+ in order to give a star rating ( even without text)

I know you can also vote up/down on individual play store reviews to show if you find them helpful or not , but does that also need google + ?
Old 03-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I tried CC Demo did not buy CC. Not that I do not like it, but for my needs and my usecase the full [paid] CC is an overkill. I can sideload those few books I want to have in my mobile phone the same way I am sideloading to my e-ink reader.

I am willing to rate your app, because you deserve it for the hard work on CC and other things (Calibre Plugins and suchlike), but I am very reluctant to join BLOODY Google+.
As far as I know all you need to rate an app obtained from the play store is to open the app's page in the play store, scroll down to the reviews, and tap the star you want. Of course you must have a play store account, but that is necessary to get any apps from there.

Ahhh... I just tried it and I was told that my reviews are public on G+. I said OK and left a star rating but no comment. Nothing appeared on my G+ page. I have no idea what happens if there isn't a G+ page.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #15
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I almost NEVER (.00000001) give 5 stars to Anything

5 is Perfect
Very little is Perfect in my book.

Even my favorite music and books only get a 4

I have given out a few 1's (OMG , they were selling this junk) over the years

I think you just described why CC deserves 5!