Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
23 Open Road Mysteries (Kindle Daily Deal) $1.99

Backlist mystery titles from Open Road are the Kindle Daily Deal today at $1.99 each. These are the first books of series and there are bestselling and award winning authors on the list.

After I look more closely at the list I'm sure I'll end up in the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread.

Last edited by Synamon; 06-09-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I'm sure I'll end up in the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread.
Please direct me to this forum. Currently I have 1200+ ebooks and I am sure I buy at least one everyday...
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Thanks, Synamon! I thought I couldn't be tempted right now....
I've read most or all of the series from the following authors, and can recommend them highly if the description sounds interesting:
James W. Hall (Under Cover of Daylight), Donald Westlake (Hot Rocks) (of course), Robert Tannenbaum (No Lesser Plea), and Brian Freemantle (Charlie M).
The Freemantle series is perhaps the only one that requires description beyond that offered by the listings: This is NOT an 007 or Bourne style spy story. Lots of intricate and subtle plotting, mental double-crossing and triple-crossing, and not much in the way of big action scenes. Incredibly well done, but not what some people might expect. (Well, it wasn't what I expected, but fortunately I read it anyway-- and haven't missed one since.)
KentE

Last edited by KentE; 06-09-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: corrected title
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Thanks for the recommendations KentE. I snapped up the Freemantle one first thing and already have Westlake's Hot Rocks bought for pennies with a Kobo coupon a few months back. I liked the look of the Jon Land books so bought both of those, plus the James Ellroy (there is golf in it!!) and the Jonathan King (very good reviews). I wanted the John Harvey but it's not available in Canada. I'll take a second look at the other two you mentioned.

Mixed in with the usual crop of PIs I noticed from the descriptions that there are some books that might appeal to those not keen on the mystery genre. The House of Dies Drear is a YA mystery involving a spooky house and the Underground Railway. Talk, Dark, and Deadly is more romance than mystery. No Beast so Fierce is semi-autobiographical since the author spent much of his life behind bars and wrote his way out of prison according to the author bio.

Last edited by Synamon; 06-09-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree with KentE that the Charlie Muffin series is well worth reading. The first in the series is particularly good.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
thanks for tempting me
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote