Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Ahhh... I just tried it and I was told that my reviews are public on G+. I said OK and left a star rating but no comment. Nothing appeared on my G+ page. I have no idea what happens if there isn't a G+ page.
I have Google play account created especially for that mobile phone - that works like a small tablet - I make phonecalls from a dumbphone.
- So, I obviously have account for Google Play, because it let me to install this and other apps.
- I have installed the app.
- I went to the Google Play and clicked on the fifth star under the "Rate this app" label.
- It displays a dialog box telling me that "Ratings and reviews on Google Play are a great way to tell your friends about the apps and other content that you love! These are linked to your Google+ profile and are public."
I have two choices:
1. Click Cancel - then nothing happpens
2. Click Join Google+ - the phone then proceeds to page where my phony name [pun intended] is pre-filled and here I have option to Cancel or Create.

Sorry Chaley, I am not willing to create a Google+ account, *especially* not when such "choice" is being rammed down my throat.
Now you know why some people did not leave the deserver rating. Go and thank Google.
Or, post a hack how to rate an app without creating the Google+ account. Because at this moment I am even less inclined to create one than I was 15 minutes ago.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Sorry Chaley, I am not willing to create a Google+ account, *especially* not when such "choice" is being rammed down my throat.
Now you know why some people did not leave the deserver rating. Go and thank Google.
Or, post a hack how to rate an app without creating the Google+ account. Because at this moment I am even less inclined to create one than I was 15 minutes ago.
I understand your position, and in fact agree with it.

Thanks for all the effort you made, and for your kind words.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
My hack: make a dummy Google+ account to go with the dummy Google Play account.

Serves Google right if they get all excited about new Google+ members who treat it as a GooglePlayRatings account, and AFAICT it isn't harmful/inconveniencing to do so.
It is of course a ridiculous, low thing for them to do.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I'm afraid this is also why I've never left a review for any app. I want absolutely nothing to do with social media. I do use a dummy account for Google Play but I still don't want a Google+ account attached.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:01 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm afraid this is also why I've never left a review for any app. I want absolutely nothing to do with social media. I do use a dummy account for Google Play but I still don't want a Google+ account attached.
I was hoping that the collective wisdom of highly educated and smart fellow mobilereaders would come up with a way of rating the app without registering to Google+.

I am getting sick and tired of the fact that everybody and his brother wants you to register to his insignificant shitty website/blog/forum/whatever using Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or something. They are not content with my mailinator e-mail address, they want me to register using CreditCards, real phone numbers, passport scans, ... Sigh ...

A sidenote: I was thinking about purchasing CC. Not that I really need it, I sideload, but to show support. But to do that I would have to let them have my CC, because I can't purchase Google Play credit in supermarket here.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
I just tried to leave a review for demo, and cannot. It has to be currently installed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Pallant View Post
Ditto. I have already left a positive review for the full version.
You can always install it and then leave the review. I just went to leave a review and it turns out I left one a long time back, but I never used it. I did update my review so it is listed as a new review.

Of course others could give a thumbs down to idiot non informative reviews and thumbs up to reviews that have some content.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-20-2015 at 08:00 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I installed to a device I never use to write a review. I'd already reviewed the free version @Amazon, just not Google Play. That makes four reviews of this wonderful app for me!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #23
jebdra
jebdra began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
I just re-installed the demo version in order to leave a review. I'll uninstall it later. Presumably it won't upset my existing CC installation! I guess if I don't open it - it can't.

Re the google+ thing, I've never seen this message. I do have a gmail account which automatically has a google+ account, but I can't see any of my app reviews on it. Maybe I'm just not skilled enough in social media use

Anyway, good luck on your quest to raise the rating. I understand your reasoning. The problem is certainly that those who understand the app and like it go to the full version very quickly and rate that. Those who don't leave low reviews, probably because they can't understand it.

Maybe you could use an in-app payment rather than two versions.
jebdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@copyrite & @jebdra:

@jebdra: re in-app payments. I didn't do this originally for four reasons:
  • Introducing in-app payments does unpleasant things to "content rating".
  • I didn't want to provide an easy way for pirates to hack the in-app check, pretending to have purchased the upgrade.
  • Some complexity in managing the Amazon/Google version differences.
  • Difficulty in handling upgrades to copies previously purchased in the "normal" way.
With 20/20 hindsight I can see reasons for why we should have used in-app purchase to upgrade, but we are where we are.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #25
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast
Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tab M10
I'll download the demo on my new phone and rate it.

Thanks for the wonderful work. This is a great app, so powerful.

Lori Reeser

Next day - Rated the demo 5 stars and wrote in it.

I'm not crazy about the whole Google + thing, but I have my settings so absolutely no one can see me and I have zero friends, etc. I joined several years ago, back when Google was still trying to not be evil.

Last edited by Lori Reeser; 05-10-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Update
Lori Reeser is offline   Reply With Quote