Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Richwood is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo Aura One, and Nook Glowlight Plus
Consensus Or Opinions On Best Tablet For Ebook Reading?

It says it in the title. What is the best tablet for ebook reading under most circumstances including reading in sun or bright light conditions? Looking for one that has apps available to handle virtually all common file formats that you are likely to encounter.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
It says it in the title. What is the best tablet for ebook reading under most circumstances including reading in sun or bright light conditions? Looking for one that has apps available to handle virtually all common file formats that you are likely to encounter.
Tablets are not good in the sun.
However if you want a tablet, I recommend a Samsung Galaxy. JSWolf will be along shortly to recommend an IPad.

As to ereaders: any will work. Just get Calibre to convert to one format.

Be warned: if you read a lot of pdfs, you probably want a Kobo and install Koreader.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
I currently use an iPad Mini along with Calibre Companion for library management and MapleRead for reading. In the past I've used various Android based tabs with CC and Bookari and Moon+ Pro (among others). Both platforms have apps that will handle various file formats, but I tend to prefer to convert to ePub and stick with my favored app. The exception to that is PDF which I prefer to not mess around with trying to convert and instead leave as a PDF and read that.

As to iOS vs Android I find both work equally fine for me. For myself screen quality is going to be at the top of the list when looking for a tablet that will primarily used as a reader. While it's not necessary to have a super high PPI screen I find I tend to prefer one that'd fairly high in PPI and one where I can set the screen brightness fairly low (there are also apps to help drop brightness below what the tablets controls do if necessary). Both Apple and Samsung, among others, make very nice solid devices. For me devices like the iPad Mini and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" are a great size.

As Cin mentioned a tablet is not going to be the number one ideal choice for sun/bright light. I find that 95% of the time with the proper brightness setting I can read quite comfortably when outdoors, but at the cost of much faster battery drain (due to cranking the brightness up for a sunny setting). For a setting such as a nice sunny day at the beach I'd generally prefer to grab an eInk based device.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-21-2017 at 08:30 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro - Retired:Kindle 3, Clie UX50, T415, ...
"Best" is an opinionated, personal evaluation. Best for someone else is generally not the best for you.

No tablet is good in full sun, period. None are "best", though a few might be considered "less bad" by some users. I old Dell Venue8 Pro does reasonably well in open shade, but not so good to unreadable in brighter situations.

A Windows 10 tablet will be the "best" at handling the widest range of formats, though Android and iOS tablets will handle all modern true ebook formats and most document formats well. In all cases, handling a wide range of formats well requires installing more than one viewing/reading app. No single app on any OS will be the best for each of a wide range of formats.

You'll find that a number of members here even go the the extreme of using different devices for different formats in order to get their choice of "the best experience". I use a Win10 tablet for most of my reading, but also use a Kindle (eInk, no frontlight) for times when it is the better choice because it is lighter, is very readable even in full sunlight, has a massively longer run time per charge (we lost power for a week during Irma this Summer), or some combination of these.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:02 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon, Kobo & Insignia Tablets & eReaders
Actually I found the Fire 2nd Generation & Phone are Excellent in sunlight. My Fire 10 is Crappy as is my Galaxy S5.... Ok that my vast experience
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
ottdmk
Guru
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Blackberry Playbook, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
For tablet reading, I really like my Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70. There are lots of different Lenovo Tab 2 models, so if you dip into the used/refurbished market for a Tab 2 you have to be careful. Some have inferior screens.

Lenovo currently offers the Tab 3 10 Plus, which has mostly the same specs as my Tab 2 but with a newer base Android version. It's available brand new in the US for $200.

I read novels on my Aura H2O, and it's my preferred eReader for that type of reading. I also read gaming PDFs on it on occasion, but while liveable the experience isn't optimal.

For PDFs and comic books (whether PDF or Comixology/Marvel Unlimited/etc) I go with the Lenovo. Does great; the books look fantastic. Not sure how the brightness stacks up under bright light but in those circumstances I'm more likely to grab the H2O and read a book. (e-ink loves bright sunshine.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
For a tablet for reading, I'd suggest and iPad Mini. It's a rather good form factor. For outside in the sun, I'd suggest a Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition or Kobo Aura One. They are both waterproof and can handle being at the beach.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
spindlegirl
I love my Kindle
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (main), Moto X Play, Samsung Tablet
I have a 9.6" Samsung Galaxy Tab E. I don't like reading on tablets in general (I much prefer e-ink) But I definitely like all the reading that can be done on my Tab E.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
No tablet is good in full sun, period.
My Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 and its fabulous transflective display will gladly take umbrage at that.

I really miss transflective displays, and would give my interest in hell for someone to go back to making them --- until then, AMOLED w/ adaptive brightness is as good as it gets (which I am very sad about, despite being thrilled w/ my Samsung Galaxy Book 12).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote