Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
larysa
Zealot
larysa began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini 4
How to make text appear in other colours than white in (iPad) night mode?

Hi, I’ve ePub with this css:
p {
line-height: 1.3em;
}
body#book div.main > p:first-letter {
font-size: 4em;
color: #bd2716;
line-height: 0.75em;
}

and this is the page with my problem:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>
<title>gfhgjjhvbmb</title>
<link href="css/s0_style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>

<body id="book">

<div class="main">

<p>Text various text</p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

On my iPad when read this book with night theme (background black and text white) the first letter have color assigned, ok, but if i want all text of this color, not work!
I’ve try to modify on css:
whit:
body#book div.main > p {
but the text don’t have color!! This work correctly with classic theme, bg white, txt black, but if change theme with bg black and txt white, don’t see the color on my text!
How to set color to all paragraphs??
larysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is the CSS code.
Code:
body {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: justify;
}
p {
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  text-indent: 1.2em;
}
.first-letter {
  font-size: 2em;
  color: #bd2716;
  line-height: 0;
}
h2 {
  margin-top: 1em;
  margin-bottom: 1em;
  text-align: center;
}
.noindent {
  text-indent: 0;
}
Here is the HTML code.
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title>gfhgjjhvbmb</title>
  <link href="css/s0_style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>
<body>
<h2>Chapter One</h2>
<p class="noindent"><span class="first-letter>T</span>ext various text</p>
<p>Some more text here</p>
</body>
</html>
That should work.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-28-2017 at 06:05 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
larysa
Zealot

...mmm...
where is the color? (I want text color on night mode!)
Old 11-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larysa View Post
...mmm...
where is the color? (I want text color on night mode!)
OK. I edited the CSS and added in the color to the first letter.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
larysa
Zealot

You don’t understand my problem...
I know well calibre and css, and my question isn’t add color to text...
If you read my first post, I don’t want color only to first letter, but I want color to all my paragraph on night mode!!!
If I add color to my text, I see on normal mode, but not into night mode! This is the problem!
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do what you want to do, but perhaps it will be easier to find someone who can if you ask a moderator to change your thread title to something more descriptive, like: "How to make text appear in other colours than white in (iPad) night mode?"
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
larysa
Zealot

The curious thing, on my first post, are that the first letter have color (on night mode) but if i correct html code on the page, or change my CSS, the full text don’t have color! Only the first letter assigned color...
This is mysteries of iPad and iBooks 4.14!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
As night mode is a feature of the reading device and not ePUB, it needs to be handled by the reading device/app. It really depends on the implementation of the reading device/app.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Given that you are reading ePub on an iPad Mini, I suggest you use Marvin 3. With Marvin, you can select the background color and the text color so you'll be able to et what you want. Then you can use the code I posted (without the color code in CSS) and it will work.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:27 AM   #10
larysa
Zealot

@ JSWolf
tnx to your suggestion! Anyway your code at post #2 on my iPad mini not work! And anyway it’s strange that work color at first letter but not to all paragraph...!

@ doubleshuffle
yes, i agree with you... calibre work fine, and the code of ePub it’s correct, this is a bug of iBooks! Then, have another section where post my question relates to iPad?
Old 11-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
it will be easier to find someone who can if you ask a moderator to change your thread title to something more descriptive, like: "How to make text appear in other colours than white in (iPad) night mode?"
An excellent suggestion. But no need for the OP to ask a moderator directly.

Thread title changed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #12
larysa
Zealot

On my first post, on CSS, have:

Existing other string to put on p:......{ ????
ex p: paragraph} or similar??
I think iBooks use assigned color only at specific string, not to all simply text...
Old 11-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
larysa
Zealot

Update:
I don’t use night mode, i have setting background black (and then text is white)...
Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thing is, if you use iBooks and you set a text color that works with a black background, when you are not using night mode, you still get that same text color.

Using Marvin is the best solution since you can change the foreground and background colors to what you want without having to deal with a fixed text color.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #15
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
have you tried this in css?

:root[__ibooks_internal_theme*="Night"] {
-webkit-text-fill-color: #bd2716;}
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote