Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-16-2016, 04:20 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question a cheap tablet for the kids to be sick on..

That requirement is on my daughters Xmas list for our grandchildren, so I just bought a refurbished HD 8.9 ( not the HDX) from ebay.

I will check that is all works then the plan is to register it to my account , which has Prime video, and lock it down via parental controls to block all purchases etc.. my account has a big collection of " free app of the day" from back when they did tose offers so it can have a decent selection of free game also.

This thread is to solicit suggestions for other protection - covers, screen protectors etc as there will be no accidental damage cover, and also any fragility warnings ( learn from other folks accidents).

It is from tesco outlet on ebay who do give a 12 month warranty against hardware failure plus a return it if not happy. It is grace C which shoudl mean only cosmetic marks and missing cable + charger - we have lots of chargers already

Please don't ruin this thread with generic Amazon are rubbish, their tablets are all crap , get a xxxx instead... comments. been there, read those in the other fire HD 8 thread. I have ordered and paid for this already so that adds nothing constructive to any discussion.

I just want to discuss making it kid-safe and kid-friendly - both physically and for content. The elder grandchild is a very bright age 4, parents are quite tech savvy, and ideally the parents will want the option to view all of prime video on it with no age restrictions( which could be via a password to be typed in each time. I can trust my own family not to have a wild shopping spree on my account, but i need to lock down against accidental fat finger purchases and grandkids viewing unsuitable stuff.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
That requirement is on my daughters Xmas list for our grandchildren, so I just bought a refurbished HD 8.9 ( not the HDX) from ebay.

I will check that is all works then the plan is to register it to my account , which has Prime video, and lock it down via parental controls to block all purchases etc.. my account has a big collection of " free app of the day" from back when they did tose offers so it can have a decent selection of free game also.

This thread is to solicit suggestions for other protection - covers, screen protectors etc as there will be no accidental damage cover, and also any fragility warnings ( learn from other folks accidents).

It is from tesco outlet on ebay who do give a 12 month warranty against hardware failure plus a return it if not happy. It is grace C which shoudl mean only cosmetic marks and missing cable + charger - we have lots of chargers already

Please don't ruin this thread with generic Amazon are rubbish, their tablets are all crap , get a xxxx instead... comments. been there, read those in the other fire HD 8 thread. I have ordered and paid for this already so that adds nothing constructive to any discussion.

I just want to discuss making it kid-safe and kid-friendly - both physically and for content. The elder grandchild is a very bright age 4, parents are quite tech savvy, and ideally the parents will want the option to view all of prime video on it with no age restrictions( which could be via a password to be typed in each time. I can trust my own family not to have a wild shopping spree on my account, but i need to lock down against accidental fat finger purchases and grandkids viewing unsuitable stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I499BNA/ref=surl_1037 I suggested that to my son for the Fire I got my granddaughter this year. Yes, I paid for it! Not too expensive if you have Prime. I think it is available on any of the Fires.
Hope that helps!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i am not sure if I can successfully add a screen protector - the one time I tried to add UV filters to a windows ( similar process ? ) I made a right mess of it - bubbles everywhere. Maybe its easier on a tablet but any advice on doing that - what brands to use, how to go about it - will be good . Or maybe I wimp out and get the parents to do it.
I see cases at £2 on ebay which look fit for purpose. i am not sure if it's possible to get those silicon ones like amazon sell on their smaller kids fire tablet though.
Amazon kindle books have a book of all the beatrix potter peter rabbit stories at 49 p - that works out at 22 stories at 2p each. Or at £1.99 theres a deluxe version with 19 also audio books included - decisions , decisions ... and puzzled :the version with the audiobooks included (22Mb) is smaller than the version without ( 66Mb) I guess I need to ask amazon about that
Old 12-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard

that freetime unlimited link- yes I'd looked at that a while ago . I think it is a very cunning marketing - so you get it free for a trial period - long enough to let the kids road test it & get hooked.. & then you have to either keep paying or explain to them who just deleted all of their bookmarket & favourites have gone !
... So: Are you sitting comfortably ...Once upon a time kids, there was a big sneaky company called Amazon...and after 30 days they.....

Anyhow we solved the peter rabbit versions puzzle. downloaded both versions - the illustrations in the cheaper version are much bigger, and the text goes under the picture, not alongside, which we thought looks better ( but hey we're grandparents ,what do we know...) and the text-to speech in that sample my own fire tablet is amazing. I remember how TTS sounded on the 1st ever kindles .. you...are...lis.ten.ing...to.a...robot....
- now it sounds like a real person reading out loud and there's a speed dial for how fast it "reads"
Old 12-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard

just discovered all the stuff you can do with TTS voices. seems we were listening to "Amy" reading peter rabbit on my HDX but they are other voices I can download. - settings, language and keyboard... text to speech... we could have had Brian , or Joey...

do the voices only work in their chosen languages, & do the brackets indicate accents
e.g. there's Hans ( German) - so I guess he only reads if the book is in German
or there's Nicole ( clone of Kidman ???) for English ( australian)

anyone know how much storage each voice uses?
there is only one default voice pre-installed on the tablet - all the others are optional downloads

Last edited by stumped; 12-16-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Advert
Old 12-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Get a Kid Friendly Case for it.

Does her kids throw up a lot? Seems to me she should make a Drs Appt. My son was like that. He would eat then throw up within the hour. They had to operate on his throat.....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
1. Get a Kid Friendly Case for it.

2. Does her kids throw up a lot? Seems to me she should make a Drs Appt. My son was like that. He would eat then throw up within the hour. They had to operate on his throat.....
1. was hoping for recommendations on cases that will fit - there's not a lot on amazon as the HD 8.9 is a discontinued model. They no longer sell any 8.9 inch tablet. the current fire range goes 6.7,8,10.

2. not really - but the younger one is only 20 months. It'ss more an illustration of what can go wrong. Think also tablet + jam + peanut butter + chocolate etc..... screen protectors are looking like a must - have

The killer app apparently is going to be Ceebies on BBC i -player ,
& that has a download now , watch later feature so it should work for car journeys. Ditto for netflix kids though the download for later option still hasn't made it into the amazon app store netflix app
Old 12-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could not find kids case but found this: https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio-...ses+and+covers
I like these myself!

Kevin was discovered at 18 months. He had a Cysts in his throat & the Thyroid was not properly attached.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-16-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Could not find kids case but found this: https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio-...ses+and+covers
I like these myself!
i have one very similar to that, left over from my old broken HDX. If the HD fits I will just have to make some speaker holes with a hot knitting needle or some such, as the HDX speaker placement was different, and check that no other slots or buttons were covered.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

IF that works here a Kids case for $6 you can fix:
https://www.amazon.com/KAYSCASE-KidB...r+fire+hdx+8.9
Old 12-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

That is very cute, may be usa only though. I will look for it on UK amazon and eBay thanks.