Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #16
Igrik82
Igrik82 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 2
In the Mac version of the Previewer 3.1.0 I found a location of the file "book.kdf".
It's a "/var/folders/t6/84l6h1w54z52b_zb29v2mpdm0000gn/T/1321-2b35-22bc-17af/book/"
Maybe this will be helpful...
Igrik82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #17
amordechai
amordechai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I was not able to test the plugin under Mac OS so it is not surprising that it failed to work.

I had to make some guesses about where files are located in the Mac version of the Previewer and I guessed wrong. I will have a new version of the plugin ready in a day or two that may fix the problem. Please post a new log if the new version of the plugin still fails for you.

Thanks for your error report.
If It can help you, the .kdf files that the kindle previewer 3 created during two conversions that I made are located in

/private/var/folders/cy/4t5f8yyn2458lmg4z8fq14z40000gn/T/3f59-fe3a-b5ee-6a56/book.kdf

and

/private/var/folders/cy/4t5f8yyn2458lmg4z8fq14z40000gn/T/7d0f-ab62-6bea-61b4/book.kdf

One book's temporary folder didn't overwrite the other one's.

If you need to test something on a mac, don't hesitate to ask!
amordechai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igrik82 View Post
In the Mac version of the Previewer 3.1.0 I found a location of the file "book.kdf". ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amordechai View Post
If It can help you, the .kdf files that the kindle previewer 3 created during two conversions that I made are located in ...
Thanks, but I already know where the result files are located. The issue is figuring out exactly how to invoke the internal conversion function of the Previewer from the command line.

I have attached an update to the plugin that may possibly fix the problem for Mac OS. If a Mac user would try it out and report back on what happens when it is used it would be helpful. (I especially need to see the contents of the conversion log if it fails.)

Test plugin removed.

Last edited by jhowell; 03-29-2016 at 05:21 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #19
amordechai

Quote:
Thanks, but I already know where the result files are located. The issue is figuring out exactly how to invoke the internal conversion function of the Previewer from the command line.

I have attached an update to the plugin that may possibly fix the problem for Mac OS. If a Mac user would try it out and report back on what happens when it is used it would be helpful. (I especially need to see the contents of the conversion log if it fails.)
Tried with your Frankenstein book. Sadly, again error!

here the log.
http://pastebin.com/1ERjkZgP
Old 03-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #20
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Tried with your Frankenstein book. Sadly, again error!
Since I do not have a Mac there are too many unknowns for me to get this working by trial and error. If a Mac OS expert can reverse engineer the Kindle Previewer and come up with the exact command line and environment variables needed to run the conversion function then I will add it to the plugin. Otherwise, it is not going to support Mac OS. Sorry!
Advert
Old 03-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #21
amordechai

Quote:
Since I do not have a Mac there are too many unknowns for me to get this working by trial and error. If a Mac OS expert can reverse engineer the Kindle Previewer and come up with the exact command line and environment variables needed to run the conversion function then I will add it to the plugin. Otherwise, it is not going to support Mac OS. Sorry!
Sad news
Nevertheless thank you for your work.
If you change your mind I'm always available for testing purposes!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sad news
The next version of the plugin will have an optional command line interface to provide more flexibility for advanced users. With this interface it will be possible to take a book that was converted to KDF using the Kindle Previewer GUI and turn it into a KFX file.

This will provide a solution for Mac users for now. Hopefully, the plugin can be made to function automatically under Mac OS sometime in the future.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:41 AM   #23
amordechai

Quote:
The next version of the plugin will have an optional command line interface to provide more flexibility for advanced users. With this interface it will be possible to take a book that was converted to KDF using the Kindle Previewer GUI and turn it into a KFX file.

This will provide a solution for Mac users for now. Hopefully, the plugin can be made to function automatically under Mac OS sometime in the future.
Good news!

Thank you.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:35 AM   #24
Alice Green
Alice Green began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage, kindle paperwhite
I found the KDF file on the Temp folder, next, I just add this file to Calibre and convert it to KFX?

Last edited by Alice Green; 03-30-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Alice Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:36 AM   #25
Alice Green
Alice Green began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage, kindle paperwhite
I found the KDF file on the Temp folder, next, I just add this file to Calibre and convert it to KFX?
Alice Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Green View Post
There is no need for you to locate the KDF file.

If you are using Windows then convert a book from its source format (such as EPUB) to KFX by selected KFX as the Output format in the Convert books dialog within calibre.

If you are using a Mac or the plugin isn't working for you under Windows then wait for the next release of the plugin. It will have a command line function to automatically locate the book most recently opened in the Kindle Previewer GUI and convert it to KFX.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #27
Oldgeeza
Oldgeeza began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PaperWhite, Ipad, Iphone
KDF File

Im using a Mac and I have searched every were and can not find the KDF file Kindle previewer converts the book and when checked it says it has enhanced typesetting. Then when when I try to convert in Calibre to KFX I get the error message. So I don't know if the KDF file exists or not as I can't find it. I'm beginning to think is it worth the trouble I transfer AZW3 to my paper white with no trouble so is KFX worth it.
Oldgeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #28
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgeeza View Post
Im using a Mac and I have searched every were and can not find the KDF file Kindle previewer converts the book and when checked it says it has enhanced typesetting. Then when when I try to convert in Calibre to KFX I get the error message. So I don't know if the KDF file exists or not as I can't find it.
I do know know why you and others have the idea that you need to locate a KDF file.

See the post above yours for more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgeeza View Post
I'm beginning to think is it worth the trouble I transfer AZW3 to my paper white with no trouble so is KFX worth it.
I created the plugin mostly as a learning exercise for myself.

I don't actually use it for my own books because I rely on Amazon's personal document feature instead of sideloading books. The convenience of syncing reading position across devices is more important than better typesetting for me.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #29
Oldgeeza
Oldgeeza began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PaperWhite, Ipad, Iphone
Hi Jhowell I only read on my paperwhite because some of my books are side loaded from Calibre they won't sync across devices and I don't like send to kindle because it lists them as documents and they are books not documents but thats personel view. Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong
Regards
Oldgeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.1.0 - 30 Mar 2016

Add command line interface for advanced users. This provides a means for Mac users to produce KFX files since conversion within calibre is not currently working under Mac OS.

(See the first post in this thread for updated usage instructions.)

Important note

If you are updating from the previous version of the plugin you may receive an error message in calibre: ERROR: Install Plugin Failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart Calibre.

If this error occurs allow calibre to uninstall the plugin and the re-install it manually.

Last edited by jhowell; 03-30-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine