Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-16-2015, 05:33 AM   #1
Yutsuki
Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yutsuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
MobileRead Library Recommendations

I couldn't help noticing today's activity in the Announcements thread "Ebook uploads exceed 30,000". Not only did it point out to me that there's a wonderful resource for proofed public domain titles on this very website, but it piqued my interest in what's on offer.

I've already typed in a few names to see what's been uploaded -- Austen, Dickens, Brontë. However, I thought that this would be a great opportunity: What are some of your personal favourites that are on offer, right here at MobileRead?
Yutsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
Recently I have been enjoying the works of J.S. Fletcher an English mystery writer. Time spent searching the MR library is time well spent.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The works of Rafael Sabatini and Stanley J. Weyman.
Spoiler:
So far

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-22-2015 at 10:50 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The works of Rafael Sabatini and Stanley J. Weyman.
Spoiler:
So far
I think Sabatini and Wodehouse have gone away for awhile.

Leaves me with favorites Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe and Quentin Durward, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The White Company and Sir Nigel. And Nathaniel Hawthorne and lots of others.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Ah... you're right. I forgot about the policy switch.
Advert
Old 11-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Sabatini qualifies for a while, but Wodehouse is a very long while indeed. Fortunately the pre-1923 stuff is all at Project Gutenberg.

For turn-of-the-last century romance, nothing beats Anthony Hope and George Barr McCutcheon, who also wrote Brewster's Millions, which has been adapted into a film ten times (according to Wikipedia.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
For turn-of-the-last century romance, nothing beats Anthony Hope and George Barr McCutcheon, who also wrote Brewster's Millions, which has been adapted into a film ten times (according to Wikipedia.
I truly love Hope's The Prisoner of Zenda and its sequel. Weyman's works feel very similar to me (which is why included him). I may have to read some McCutcheon, now that you've gone and mentioned him in the same sentence as Anthony Hope.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Two authors I would suggest are Emile Zola and Elizabeth Gaskell.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
JLius
Village idiot
JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS T-1
Voltaire (Candide)
JLius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
R. Austin Freeman if you enjoy Mystery and Crime.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I truly love Hope's The Prisoner of Zenda and its sequel. Weyman's works feel very similar to me (which is why included him). I may have to read some McCutcheon, now that you've gone and mentioned him in the same sentence as Anthony Hope.
Very, very similar in feel to The Prisoner of Zenda is McCutcheon's Graustark. I'd start with that one.

And now I'll have to seek out Weyman! Where to start?

ETA: I also love Hope's The King's Mirror.

Last edited by issybird; 11-23-2015 at 01:07 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Very, very similar in feel to The Prisoner of Zenda is McCutcheon's Graustark. I'd start with that one.

And now I'll have to seek out Weyman! Where to start?

I'd probably go with the iconic Under the Red Robe. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Excellent recommendation in The King's Mirror. Thanks! I can see why Hope was so proud of it.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll recommend Music of the Spheres by Margaret Wander Bonanno. It a Star Trek The Original Series book. It's quite good and it's the only free Star Trek book you'll find here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177182
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

C'mon, Jon. Pimping your own contribution? Is that really your favorite book in the whole Mobileread library?