Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
lizbrock
lizbrock began at the beginning.

Device: RCA 1100, Palm Tungsten TX
REB 1100

I actually have my main one and two spares, plus a couple of spare batteries. I didn't want to be left without. I sent a bad one in to Ebookwise when they had a replacement deal going, but they could only replace with an 1150 and I didn't want to get into a whole different format then, so I did the ebay thing and still love my reader. I carry a Palm Tungsten TX for every day 'in my pocket' though.

LizB
lizbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
the7gerbers
Connoisseur
the7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litter

Device: Kindles (Fire HD, Fire, Paperwhite) iPhone
We have two REB1100s and we love them. I got them for a steal on eBay and I load them up with books for my kids.

As for Vista...I use both my REB1100s with Vista. I use the ebook Librarian software and a USB connection and it works just fine. If I can help you with that, feel free to pm me!
the7gerbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #18
dmcgonigle
Mr. McGoo
dmcgonigle began at the beginning.

Device: RCA REB 1100
You're going to laugh, but I just bought one in a pawn shop. Just had the unit, so I had to find a charger & USB cable. Downloaded the user manuals and they were just about useless. Now all I have to do is find the software, figure out how to mate it on the PC and reset this device (not necessarily in that order).
dmcgonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #19
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
I've got a couple of 1100s, 1150s, a 1200 and 2150. Of all, the 1150 was my fave, for both the browse-able bookshelf and ergonomic form factor.

Three things pushed me over to eInk, and the screen, though lovely, was the least important of the three. Mainly I hated the 128K Card limit and the short battery life.

I could probably handle the size limit now having adapted to carrying only a subset of books, since thanks to Sony's menu system, keeping your whole library on a honking big memory card makes your unit almost unmanageable, but the 10 hour battery life would still drive me nuts. Nothing worse than getting to the last chapter of a book and having your reader go dead.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #20
Eddie
Enthusiast
Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360, Kobo, Rocket eBook
Looks like my trusty Rocket will die soon, it takes longer and longer to charge and less and less time to dry up Does anybody know whether the eBookwise batteries are compatible to the Rocket ?
Thanks !
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #21
deepudin
deepudin began at the beginning.

UGH...I bought a brand new in the box never used RCA REB1100 at a garage sale and cannot for the life of me figure this out. I'd like to think I'm pretty good with things like this but I can't find anyplace where I can download books. My husband would think I was the BEST if I can figure this out. I did manage to get the drivers installed and I have RocketLibraian on my computer. Is anybody out there brave enough to try to help me?? If I can't figure it out, look on eBay cuz that's where it's going!!! I'm going to pull out hair out!! Thanks in advance!!
deepudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepudin View Post
UGH...I bought a brand new in the box never used RCA REB1100 at a garage sale and cannot for the life of me figure this out. I'd like to think I'm pretty good with things like this but I can't find anyplace where I can download books. My husband would think I was the BEST if I can figure this out. I did manage to get the drivers installed and I have RocketLibraian on my computer. Is anybody out there brave enough to try to help me?? If I can't figure it out, look on eBay cuz that's where it's going!!! I'm going to pull out hair out!! Thanks in advance!!
you're in luck deepudin, you've come to exactly the right place to find help ! there are quite a few experts here about the REB readers and hopefully one will be along shortly to reveal every last mystery. just in case you don't get a reply soon, i recommend starting a new thread to ask your question, so it will be more visible.

welcome to the forum you'll see that it's really the best place for all information about all readers. we've also got tons of free books available, click on the "e-books" link in the blue nav bar. i believe some are available pre-formatted for the REB1100 but i'm not sure ; if not, there will be someone who can explain how to convert them. i don't have an REB1100 myself but my first reader was an eb1150 which is basically the same hardware, if i've understood correctly, and i have to say that despite its quirks and flaws it's given me many hours of reading pleasure and i still love it. i'm sure you'll soon come to love yours too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #23
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepudin View Post
I did manage to get the drivers installed and I have RocketLibraian on my computer.
Welcome to Mobileread.com!!!

I have a couple REB1100's in my possession and used them all the time, until my kids got to them.

You can read up on the technical aspects of this ebook reader on our REB 1100 wiki page.

The software to create .rb files (which then need to be loaded onto the reader to read the ebooks) is RocketLibrarian and you have that installed.

However, it will not load .rb files onto your REB1100. For that you need eBook Librarian by Gemstar. That software and a lot of information can be found at this very helpful website!

There are still a lot of ebook/web libraries that support the Rocket eBook/REB1100 .rb format so I know there will be a lot to read. Try www.Munseys.com for over 10000 public domain .rb files (as well as other formats).

Good Luck and enjoy!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
deepudin
deepudin began at the beginning.

Thank you guys so much! Now I have a place to start! Thank goodness I don't have to go to work today! Off to read! Thanks again....
deepudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #25
RKnack
Enthusiast
RKnack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (deceased)
One of my aunts just gave me an REB 1100 this past weekend, that someone else had given to her a few years ago. I am enjoying it immensely. Its only fault seems to be that there are a number of lines of blank space that run across the screen and blot out parts of letters. It's still readable, though.
RKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #26
angelamgibbs
angelamgibbs began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100
Need help

I just got a new computer with Vista, and it won't allow me to load my librarian for my REB1100. I was able to download the RocketLibrarian so that I can change the formats for by ebooks to RB, but I can't upload them. I tried going to that REB1100 for dummies site and downloaded the install disk from there, but again it didn't work. Any idea's?
angelamgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #27
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
I don't use Vista (or Windows) but I've heard that you have to enable the RocketLibrarian to run in 'XP mode" or something like that.

Luck.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #28
MoonPuppy
MoonPuppy began at the beginning.

Device: RCA eBook
Red face Brand New Old Timer

We've got two REB 1100s (one's actually an 1150, but that's another #&@*$!!! post). I use mine all the time. It's the perfect 'climb into bed and read' without having a light on. I primarily read self-published fic (can you say "fanfiction"? I knew you could.) and I love my old beastie.

My only problem has been with my computers - I had the software on my desktop, which died (not the drives, just the motherboard), and I can not find a source for the eBook Librarian software so I can export the RB files to my book! What a pain! Yeah, the desktop will be fixed - eventually - but right now I'm stuck reading the same stories over and over and over and you get the picture, right? LOL

But. I love my ebook. Would not trade it for free paperbacks for the rest of my life.
MoonPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #29
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonPuppy View Post
We've got two REB 1100s (one's actually an 1150, but that's another #&@*$!!! post).
So you actually did the screen swap with Gemstar to turn the B&W REB1100 into a 16 grayscale GEB1150? And later got stung when they did a firmware upgrade to shut down the "load your own content" avenue!!!! A real old-timer then... Welcome aboard!

Quote:
I use mine all the time. It's the perfect 'climb into bed and read' without having a light on. I primarily read self-published fic (can you say "fanfiction"? I knew you could.) and I love my old beastie.
Backlit screens are so nice for that!

Quote:
My only problem has been with my computers - I had the software on my desktop, which died (not the drives, just the motherboard), and I can not find a source for the eBook Librarian software so I can export the RB files to my book!
There's lots of info (in this thread here) for the Rocket Librarian software you are looking for and see my post here for links to the actual software.

Quote:
What a pain! Yeah, the desktop will be fixed - eventually - but right now I'm stuck reading the same stories over and over and over and you get the picture, right? LOL

But. I love my ebook. Would not trade it for free paperbacks for the rest of my life.
Did you know you can take out the external SmartMedia card and copy new books using a SM card reader (usually part of the 20-in-one or All-in-one USB card readers)? If you need help, just ask, but be careful...

By the way, is your converted REB1100 (actually the 1150) using the latest firmware from www.ebooktechnologies.com ?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #30
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonPuppy View Post
We've got two REB 1100s (one's actually an 1150, but that's another #&@*$!!! post). I use mine all the time. It's the perfect 'climb into bed and read' without having a light on. I primarily read self-published fic (can you say "fanfiction"? I knew you could.) and I love my old beastie.

My only problem has been with my computers - I had the software on my desktop, which died (not the drives, just the motherboard), and I can not find a source for the eBook Librarian software so I can export the RB files to my book! What a pain! Yeah, the desktop will be fixed - eventually - but right now I'm stuck reading the same stories over and over and over and you get the picture, right? LOL

It's taking a little bit less than forever to load right now but you can find the original librarian program here,
http://web.archive.org/web/200011100...k-gemstar.com/

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote