Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #1126
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanih View Post
I have realised that when I sync my calibre library there are some books that the start and end reading date does not sync with the dates I have in Goodreads.
I have checked that they are linked properly and the dates are in GR but the problem continues.
I am not sure if it is a pluging problem but I haven't change my configuration in the calibre pluging.
There was some discussion on this earlier in the year. As far as I can tell, sometime Goodreads gives the date to us and sometimes it doesn't. And it isn't obvious why it happens like this or how to fix it. There were some suggestions, but I don't think they worked all the time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:22 AM   #1127
kdanih
kdanih began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There was some discussion on this earlier in the year. As far as I can tell, sometime Goodreads gives the date to us and sometimes it doesn't. And it isn't obvious why it happens like this or how to fix it. There were some suggestions, but I don't think they worked all the time.
Thank you for your answer. I just realised that in the last couples of days. Even I tried to write them manually they where deleted in the next synchronisation. I'll try to find the post with the suggestions to see what I can do.
kdanih is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #1128
Alissa1651
Enthusiast
Alissa1651 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app for iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanih View Post
Thank you for your answer. I just realised that in the last couples of days. Even I tried to write them manually they where deleted in the next synchronisation. I'll try to find the post with the suggestions to see what I can do.
It happens a lot lately.

If I add a book to GR after I've read it, it happens all the time. The only way I've found to fix the issue is to use the GR app (I've the iOS version) and add the read dates from the "write a review" section (dates are not present there, even if the book activity start/finished dates are correctly filled out, as are the dates on the desktop website).

It's a lot of manual work (particularly if you notice the problem when thirty books or so have blank dates) and you've to be careful unless you wish to flood your update feed.

When I add/update a book using the mobile app it doesn't happen anymore. You can find some posts dated a few months ago about the issue, as davidfor mentioned. If you look for my posts, it's one of my main topics.
Alissa1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #1129
jsschrstrcks
jsschrstrcks began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad air 2
Well, I've either encountered another glitch, or else the problem lies in the interface between my chair and keyboard.

The problem ended up being with my chair keyboard interface. False alarm!

Last edited by jsschrstrcks; 05-03-2018 at 11:01 AM.
jsschrstrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:15 AM   #1130
Alissa1651
Enthusiast
Alissa1651 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app for iOS
An update regarding the date started/finished issue. It's on GR side, I reported the problem trying to isolate the case using both the website and the iOS app (it's notable in the app. Basically, even if the dates show in all the relevant pages of the website, in the "write a review" section of the app they don't, and the books that don't are those the plugin cannot retrieve both dates for), and this is the support reply. Granted, it's only a polite reply, but they admitted there is a bug:

"Thank you for getting back to me! I've gone ahead and reported this behavior once again and I was informed by our developers that this is a bug that is currently affecting the proper display of certain dates on the iOS app. I can assure you we are actively working on fixing this issue so you can continue to track your book without any further issues. While I don’t have a firm date for the fix, this bug is prioritized in our development team’s backlog and hope to fix this very soon. I’ve added your report to the developer ticket and I’ll let you know once it’s been resolved."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cattura.PNG
Views:	329
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	163882  
Alissa1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #1131
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
quick question, how can I upload tags to my shelves that don't have the "-" between the spaces?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #1132
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
quick question, how can I upload tags to my shelves that don't have the "-" between the spaces?
Sorry, I'm not completely sure what you mean there. Do you mean make shelves on Goodreads from tags in your calibre library with dashes or spaces in the names? If so, from memory, GR doesn't allow spaces in the shelf name. It automatically renames them to use a dash instead of the space. And I assume that "this - tag" will become "this---tag".

If you meant something else, can you explain what you wanted a bit more.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #1133
Bash123
TheBedouin
Bash123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Notes and Highlight Sync Problem

Hi All,
When I perform "Add to Shelf" I want to send up my notes and highlights to GR. Some books have already done so,, however, the majority do not!! I tried everything to get my notes to upload to GR to no avail!!
My books are mostly listed in My Docs, some are Amazon books as well. However, I do not see my notes being uploaded when I add them to the Read shelf.
This is probably has been discussed already and I searched everywhere on the Forum but could not find any resolution! Would someone PLEASE shed some light on it?
Thanks in Advanced
Cheers,
Bedouin
Bash123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #1134
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash123 View Post
Hi All,
When I perform "Add to Shelf" I want to send up my notes and highlights to GR. Some books have already done so,, however, the majority do not!! I tried everything to get my notes to upload to GR to no avail!!
My books are mostly listed in My Docs, some are Amazon books as well. However, I do not see my notes being uploaded when I add them to the Read shelf.
This is probably has been discussed already and I searched everywhere on the Forum but could not find any resolution! Would someone PLEASE shed some light on it?
Assuming you have configured the plugin correctly, the notes should be being sent to GR. Something might have changed on GR, but I don't use the notes myself, so if it has, I wouldn't have noticed.

Things I can think of that might affect this are the size and content of the notes. GR probably have a maximum size for the notes, and there are probably restrictions on what can be in them. I don't off the top of my head know if they allow HTML or fully support different character sets.

If there are any errors, they should show in the debug log. If you can run calibre in debug mode and grab the log and post it, I might be able to see something. And if you have a book where the notes failed to update, you can try moving it away from the read shelf and then back to see if it fails again. If you do that, and post the debug log, it might help to see what is happening.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #1135
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@davidfor
Sorry it took me a while to get back here.

Regarding syncing tags that don't have the "-" character between the words.

When I try to upload tags from Calibre, the tags I am trying to upload might be more than one word. For me, tags are bookshelves. I have specific columns dedicated to bookshelves, and they are mainly poplulated from the library export csv's from Goodreads. However, I am tired of seeing lower cased, "-" spaced tags in those columns. I want to update those bookshelf columns to have title cased words without spaces. Currently I might have a bookshelf titled "theme-action-and-adventure" but I would like to have the column in Calibre indicating this tag as "Theme Action & Adventure". If I sync the shelf from goodreads to the tag in the bookshelf column, it won't allow me to upload that tag to goodreads. Since the tag is more than one word, and the words don't contain dashes between the spaces (although I mapped the tag to that shelf) it won't upload.

Goodreads allows shelves with spaces, but it fills those spaces with "-" characters. This is how the csv's look and this is how the bookshelves look on the site.

I may have been redundant, but the end question was

Can I upload tags that are mapped to shelves although they have spaces and not dashes?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #1136
Rellwood

@davidfor,

I was going to ask this before I realized I had a response to make.

Is there a way to tweak the plugin to set the book formats to automatically sync to in order?

It gets tedious when I have to sync books but have to always check the format being synced even if the entire library is one format.

I sync the books to have a Goodreads id so that my metadata that comes from Goodreads is easy to get.

If I have a library populated from books from Amazon, this would mean they are all Kindle books, and having to check each book's synced format is tedious.

If there was a way (like the way Calibre sets the cover range) of selecting the formats to automatically sync to if available, and if that version isn't available to go to the next possible format already chosen.

If book is avaiable, automatically sync to "Kindle edition"
If Kindle Edition is unavailable, sync to " e-book format"

This could allow for automatic syncing without the need to check each one. However if there is an error or a problem then the general sync window could pop up, allowing manual selection.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #1137
kyrab
kyrab began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura 2
ignore this post, had an issue, upgraded calibre, problem solved

Last edited by kyrab; 06-24-2018 at 08:04 PM.
kyrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #1138
Rellwood

it seems that trying to from shelves containing large amounts (60+) of books fails because "goodreads timed out". Normally when I sync I notice that the "contacting goodreads" indicator blinks a bit indicating a two way communication, however now it doesn't. Is there anything I can do or change to fix this?

calibre, version 3.28.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>SSLError</b>'The read operation timed out',)

calibre 3.28 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 3) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 2, 0) && Save Composite Custom Columns (1, 1, 0) && Save To Format (0, 0, 6) && frating (2, 2, 0) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 5) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && User Category (1, 5, 3) && APNX Generator (1, 1, 0) && Count Pages (1, 8, 2) && Drop Search Results (1, 0, 8) && Goodreads Sync (1, 12, 0) && EpubSplit (2, 4, 0) && EpubMerge (2, 2, 0) && QRCode Tracker Filidel (0, 7, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Search The Internet (1, 7, 6) && Library Codes (1, 0, 34) && Job Spy (1, 0, 132) && Import List (1, 3, 0) && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata (1, 0, 79) && Goodreads_Rating (0, 2, 3) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && GetFileName (0, 2, 13) && Library Splitter (1, 0, 0) && FanFicFare (2, 27, 0) && English Noun Frequency (1, 0, 8) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && View Manager (1, 4, 3) && Beam Ebooks (1, 0, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 1, 2) && Goodreads (1, 1, 14) && MultiColumnSearch (1, 0, 74) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Fantastic Fiction Adults (1, 0, 4) && FictionDB (1, 0, 10)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 345, in _accept_clicked
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 436, in get_goodreads_books_on_shelves
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 121, in _oauth_request_get
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.oauth2.__init_ _", line 684, in request
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2.__init__" , line 1671, in request
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2.__init__" , line 1411, in _request
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2.__init__" , line 1367, in _conn_request
File "httplib.py", line 1136, in getresponse
File "httplib.py", line 453, in begin
File "httplib.py", line 409, in _read_status
File "socket.py", line 480, in readline
File "ssl.py", line 756, in recv
File "ssl.py", line 643, in read
SSLError: ('The read operation timed out',)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #1139
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
it seems that trying to from shelves containing large amounts (60+) of books fails because "goodreads timed out". Normally when I sync I notice that the "contacting goodreads" indicator blinks a bit indicating a two way communication, however now it doesn't. Is there anything I can do or change to fix this?

calibre, version 3.28.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>SSLError</b>'The read operation timed out',)

calibre 3.28 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 3) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 2, 0) && Save Composite Custom Columns (1, 1, 0) && Save To Format (0, 0, 6) && frating (2, 2, 0) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 5) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && User Category (1, 5, 3) && APNX Generator (1, 1, 0) && Count Pages (1, 8, 2) && Drop Search Results (1, 0, 8) && Goodreads Sync (1, 12, 0) && EpubSplit (2, 4, 0) && EpubMerge (2, 2, 0) && QRCode Tracker Filidel (0, 7, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Search The Internet (1, 7, 6) && Library Codes (1, 0, 34) && Job Spy (1, 0, 132) && Import List (1, 3, 0) && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata (1, 0, 79) && Goodreads_Rating (0, 2, 3) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && GetFileName (0, 2, 13) && Library Splitter (1, 0, 0) && FanFicFare (2, 27, 0) && English Noun Frequency (1, 0, 8) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && View Manager (1, 4, 3) && Beam Ebooks (1, 0, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 1, 2) && Goodreads (1, 1, 14) && MultiColumnSearch (1, 0, 74) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Fantastic Fiction Adults (1, 0, 4) && FictionDB (1, 0, 10)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 345, in _accept_clicked
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 436, in get_goodreads_books_on_shelves
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 121, in _oauth_request_get
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.oauth2.__init_ _", line 684, in request
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2.__init__" , line 1671, in request
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2.__init__" , line 1411, in _request
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2.__init__" , line 1367, in _conn_request
File "httplib.py", line 1136, in getresponse
File "httplib.py", line 453, in begin
File "httplib.py", line 409, in _read_status
File "socket.py", line 480, in readline
File "ssl.py", line 756, in recv
File "ssl.py", line 643, in read
SSLError: ('The read operation timed out',)
A timeout means the server didn't respond quickly enough. And usually that means a network problem, or a busy server. Is this happening consistently with larger shelves? At different times of the day with no other contention on your connection? If so, I might be able to extend the timeout, but I don't know if that is an option in the libraries being used.

I'll have to test and see.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:08 AM   #1140
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@Rellwood: I have done some testing here, and I cannot reproduce this. I have tried several shelves bigger 60 books, including one with 491 books.

I'm hoping this is a transient network or server problem. If it persists, can you run calibre in debug mode, do the sync for a shelf and post the log. The log might give a clue as to whether there is something I can do.

Tags
calibre, goodreads