Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But each of those has had a direct successor. The 6" K2 was succeeded by the K3. The 10" K2 was never replaced. If you recall at the time, Amazon were primarily marketing the DX as a platform for eTextbooks, and that's a market that just didn't take off at that time.
So was the Voyage a flop?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So was the Voyage a flop?
I can see why you're asking the question, John, in the sense that it was a single-generation product that wasn't replaced, but that appears to have been because Amazon didn't see a market for a reader midway between the mass-market PW and the high-end Oasis. I really think the DX was a different kettle of fish. It failed because the eTextbook market failed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can see why you're asking the question, John, in the sense that it was a single-generation product that wasn't replaced, but that appears to have been because Amazon didn't see a market for a reader midway between the mass-market PW and the high-end Oasis. I really think the DX was a different kettle of fish. It failed because the eTextbook market failed.
If you look at the market the Voyage was going after, I think you could call the Oasis the Voyage replacement. It just took Amazon a second try to get the Oasis right for the market before they phased out the Voyage.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #19
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
If you look at the market the Voyage was going after, I think you could call the Oasis the Voyage replacement. It just took Amazon a second try to get the Oasis right for the market before they phased out the Voyage.
And obviously the style, shape and size of the Voyage wasn’t a flop as they have used that for the new paperwhite 4.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #20
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I see the PW4 as a successor to both the PW and KV. And I agree that the market for a 10 inch Kindle just isn't there. I don't see anything bigger than the 7 inch KO ever being produced really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
And obviously the style, shape and size of the Voyage wasn’t a flop as they have used that for the new paperwhite 4.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the market for large-screen eInk devices is very, very niche. Personally I do my large-screen reading on my 10.5" iPad, which I find to be very good for the purpose. Most of what I need a large screen for is PDFs, which really need a fast CPU and lots of RAM, which most tablets have, but eInk devices generally don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Cost of the DX is what brought it down. While it was 10" Screen Size ADD the Keyboard that one Huge device.

I suggest the 10" Fire...for Home reading.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #23
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
I still have, and use, my DX. While I do lots of reading on my other flavors of kindles the DX is still a good size, especially non-fiction or converted scanned docs. I've been tempted by some of the non-Amazon larger e-ink devices, but haven't moved outside of the Amazon universe yet.

If an updated version of the DX came out, I'd buy it, so add me into that niche buying group.
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #24
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I agree that the cost was and still would be the biggest obstacle. A 10" Kindle produced today, with touch screen, front light, narrow bezel with no keyboard, and thin profile, would be a much less clunky device than the DX. I am sure that it would sell well if they could keep the price low, but I suspect that would be impossible to do. The Oasis 2 is only a little bigger and the cost is still prohibitive for many. I assume that the bigger screen, larger number of LEDs, and bigger battery would really jack the cost up a lot.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #25
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My perfect kindle would be a Voyage with audio (blue tooth is fine) and a 7.5-8 inch screen (due to my vision issues). Weight matters, and I think a 10 inch would just be too heavy for tons of reading.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #26
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Kindle evolution doesn’t seem to be an exact science, at least for the high-end models. Large and larger, then small and very small, then larger again; smooth plastic, rubbery coating, and heavy metal, subtracting then re-adding buttons and batteries and graspable-bezels (now wedges); waterproofing, finally, but still no comfort light. The O2 size isn't necessarily a destination, it's just where we are at this moment. A couple of years ago the O1 was the desired object.

I try most of them, partly as a hobby and partly because they haven’t yet hit on the perfect combination for me -- light weight, six inch screen, whole battery, rubbery surface, asymmetric bezel (Kobo Forma style), buttons, waterproofing, comfort llght.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #27
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
My dream Kindle would be a 7-8 inch Voyage (same bezel width but larger screen, with Page Press or buttons), 3G, yellow light and waterproof case, plus an updated Origami case.
I'd probably keep a 6inch Kindle for when I'm out and about without a bag but would take that new Voyage wherever I did as well as use it at home exclusively.
Oh yes, and that we get the option to convert all our personal docs to kfx and see those beautiful covers again...

Last edited by johnnyb; 11-06-2018 at 03:18 AM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #28
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
10" is too big. 8" with the orange night light and excellent battery life. More customizeable home screen and screen savers.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #29
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
10" is too big. 8" with the orange night light and excellent battery life. More customizeable home screen and screen savers.
I'm glad someone else mentioned this. Most people don't seem to care much, but I'd love to be able to customize the home screen and the lock screen. I enjoy customizing that stuff, and would rather do it than mess with jailbreaking and careful updating.

For me 6' is fine, but it'd be nice to have a 7' offering. I'm okay with the bezels and don't care about buttons since I use the screen as a 'button', but it wouldn't bother me if they added them for those who want them. Audio is an option but I would prefer headphone jacks with bluetooth option instead of only bluetooth. I'd like the comfortlight system to have more options and see what the fuss is about, as well for eye relief. I still want to keep the Inverted Text, Waterproofing, Flush Screen. Software wise, I'd like an easier way to update the collections on the device with multiple books at a time, and have a location or page that keeps track of all current bookmarks easily with further details since I typically read several books at once and this would be an easy way to keep track.

And since I'm going with something unrealistic, I'll throw in I wish it could support third-party software like their tablets do. I'd love to use Moon Reader or Aldiko for certain books on the e-ink device.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 11-06-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #30
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I'd like the comfortlight system to have more options and see what the fuss is about, as well for eye relief.
Having left the Amazon last month and switched to a Clara HD, I basically ignored the Comfort Light feature as a gimmick. But in the last week, I've been reading more at night, including during my night shifts at work, and now seriously LOVE the feature. When it's 01:45 and you're a bit bleary, the warmer light is MUCH easier on the eyes.