Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
hopla
hopla began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Putting sideloaded book in the Books category instead of Docs category

Hi there, could you please give me more details on the rules and formats that decide on whether a sideloaded book will show up in documents or books category? I have found out that in Calibre I should convert to mobi format having the [PDOC] tag replaced by the [EBOK] tag. But is doesnt seem to help my case. I also use Oasis 2, but cannot organize my books properly because of this. Thank you for your help!

Victor
hopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I sideloaded as azw to my paperwhite, from calibre, and they always appear as books. I don't do any extra tweaks or edits.
AFAIK ,the appear as documents not books issue is only when you email them via send to Kindle, not when you sideloaded via usb
Calibre manages everything for me, decides where to put them.... That has worked for all my various Kindle models
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
hopla

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I sideloaded as azw to my paperwhite, from calibre, and they always appear as books. I don't do any extra tweaks or edits.
AFAIK ,the appear as documents not books issue is only when you email them via send to Kindle, not when you sideloaded via usb
Calibre manages everything for me, decides where to put them.... That has worked for all my various Kindle models
Dear STUMPED,

thank you a lot for your suggestion. Although before my post I had tried putting AZW format into my Kindle by converting from MOBI and it still showed as a document, after your advise I decided to try and convert to AZW from EPUB, not from MOBI, so I did these conversions:

MOBI -> EPUB -> AZW

and it worked! Now it shows as a book!

However there is still two things I would like to fix:

1. I cannot share some passages in the book. When I highlight something in SHARE command is not active. Is there a way to fix this? Coverting back to MOBI (MOBI -> EPUB -> AZW -> MOBI), where I can tick the box "Enable sharing of the book content" brought the book back into documents category, so I cannot do that if I want to keep it in the books category.

2. The cover that I added to the book in Calibre shows in home view, but as soon as I go into my Library in the grid view it doesnt show the cover. This is strange, because there are some other books that I have uploaded to Kindle that do show their cover in the Library view. Is there any advise you could give me here?

Anyways, thank you again for your help and contribution!

Victor
Old 10-29-2018, 01:46 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
for covers, you need to use a certain size. i use 900 x 600, using the resize cover plug in and that works OK for me. i think 800 x 600 also works.

I resize all covers because then in reader apps that display covers on a "shelf" you get a neat row.

I don't use kindle 's sharing feature, but I have a feeling that either you can have a sideloaded book and no share, or you can have a document with share enabled -it is all to do with the PDOC tags and I am not an expert. wait for more help or start a new thread with a new title for sharing help.

ps i am puzzled as to why mobi ->azw did not work. I guess that going via epub removes something. i usually go via epub so that I can use the epub sigil editor if needed to tweak layout. others may enlighten us

Last edited by stumped; 10-29-2018 at 01:51 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
^^ Definitely listen to above poster regarding resize cover option. Once you use it, you'll never have a cover not show up
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
hopla

Smile

Dear stumped,

you are a genius! It worked! Wow! I am so excited now after being frustrated not being able to figure out how to solve these issues.

Very grateful to you, master!

Now I will dive into finding out how to install Armenian dictionary in there, but that will be another investigation and maybe a new thread.

Hope I can be once helpful to you as you were to me.

Dear challe232, thank you for your input as well! When I read your messages today I couldnt wait to get back home to try your advises.

Cheers!

Victor