Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #91
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
If you're going to have to commute by car, it might be time to reconsider. Seriously, they can make almost any commute tolerable. I know there's some upfront cost, but you can easily get around at least some of that if your library has audio books. And if you do it right, you can get almost all of your books as WhisperSync deals, which in the UK are still quite good. (Lately, from what I've seen, £3.99 seems to be the upper end for a WS deal. )
The English and their History is £4.99!

It looks to me, since I'll certainly already have the Kindle book of any audible book I'd like to have, that membership would be a waste of money at £7.99 for one book a month.

I shall consider getting a book to try.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:59 PM   #92
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The English and their History is £4.99!

It looks to me, since I'll certainly already have the Kindle book of any audible book I'd like to have, that membership would be a waste of money at £7.99 for one book a month.

I shall consider getting a book to try.
Ah, but if you do a trial, then cancel at the end of it, you end up with an account that can still be used for WhisperSync. And, of course, you can get a good deal for the trial.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #93
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Here in the US, many local libraries will loan out audiobooks. I don't know if they do this over there, but you might look into it.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #94
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Oh dear, TBR +7 so far this month, and that is not counting the 12 audible books i bought! But at least I read 8 from my TBR, otherwise it would have been +15...

Edit:
Spoke too soon, bought 5 more books today...

Last edited by June; 01-28-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: more books to TBR...
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #95
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I finished my second book this month for my fantasy challenge. Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. I'm now looking for another first book of a fantasy series. I really enjoyed the first book in the Wheel of Time series, and plan to read more of those as well.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #96
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I finished my second book this month for my fantasy challenge. Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. I'm now looking for another first book of a fantasy series. I really enjoyed the first book in the Wheel of Time series, and plan to read more of those as well.
What type of Fantasy series are you looking for? Typical sword and sorcery? More contemporary? Lighter or darker than Wheel of Time?

What others have you read and enjoyed?

Here are a couple starting points: Reddit Crowd Sourced Flow Chart (At least I think this is the source of that, I can't see imgur where I am to double check: link)

From SF Signal and NPR: Fantasy Flow Chart
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #97
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
What type of Fantasy series are you looking for? Typical sword and sorcery? More contemporary? Lighter or darker than Wheel of Time?

Here are a couple starting points: Reddit Crowd Sourced Flow Chart (At least I think this is the source of that, I can't see imgur where I am to double check: link)

Wow, I've only read seven of thirty-eight in that first chart (though I do have an eighth one in my TBR).

I'm a bit more read on the second, with something along the lines of 52 of 100. A few of those are in my TBR... does that make me some kind of elitist?

Granted, the first list is slightly more esoteric and leans toward the lesser known but very good books in fantasy whereas the second goes in both directions and concentrates on someone's idea of the top 100 of both scifi and fantasy...

Personally, I think both charts are good guideposts for someone looking for a good read.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 AM   #98
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Wow, I've only read seven of thirty-eight in that first chart (though I do have an eighth one in my TBR).

I'm a bit more read on the second, with something along the lines of 52 of 100. A few of those are in my TBR... does that make me some kind of elitist?

Granted, the first list is slightly more esoteric and leans toward the lesser known but very good books in fantasy whereas the second goes in both directions and concentrates on someone's idea of the top 100 of both scifi and fantasy...

Personally, I think both charts are good guideposts for someone looking for a good read.
I have read 12 of the first and 50 of the second but I have several from each on my "want to read them at some point list". Which is different from my TBR in that I don't actually have them yet.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:48 AM   #99
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

I've read 11 in the first chart and 50 in the second. they seem quite good selections. Some of the first chart I may add to wishlists, especially those paired with books I really liked.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:00 AM   #100
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

As someone who would class myself a non-fantasy reader, I was surprised to find I've read 5 on the first chart, and 47 on the second. There were a few there that I would like to try, too.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #101
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:

Wow thanks for the links Dazrin !

I have not read a lot of fantasy books, I do like Kingdom type settings, loved all the different characters and how each village or city they traveled through were all different, some good some bad, in The Eye of World. I did see some similarities with Game Of Thrones, but I really enjoyed Eye of the World. I'll check out those links, thanks again.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:56 PM   #102
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
January was an okay month. Although I managed to read almost 4000 pages (almost 350 over my average for January) I felt that I didn't read a lot, I've managed to finish nine books. However, those average over 440, so in fact I just picked longer books this month.

Of those nine book six were by new to me authors. It's hard to pick a favourite, it's a tie between How to be Champion by Sarah Millican, The Magicians by Lev Grossman and The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule.

February is my worst reading month of the year, averaging only 2685 pages. My plan for February is to focus on my active series, there are several I want to finish this year and with the others I want to make serious headway. I use a randomizer app to pick which series to read a book from next. That way I can't ignore a series for too long.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #103
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
January update - I read 6 books (2,085 pages), all of which were on my TBR list. One of my goals is to read 50 books on my TBR list, so I'm off to a good start there.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 PM   #104
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
January was an okay month. Although I managed to read almost 4000 pages (almost 350 over my average for January) I felt that I didn't read a lot, I've managed to finish nine books. However, those average over 440, so in fact I just picked longer books this month.

Of those nine book six were by new to me authors. It's hard to pick a favourite, it's a tie between How to be Champion by Sarah Millican, The Magicians by Lev Grossman and The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule.

February is my worst reading month of the year, averaging only 2685 pages. My plan for February is to focus on my active series, there are several I want to finish this year and with the others I want to make serious headway. I use a randomizer app to pick which series to read a book from next. That way I can't ignore a series for too long.
Well, considering that February is generally two to three days shorter than other months, I'd say it almost guaranteed to be the worst month.

I've hit ten books for the month, which puts me right on target for my annual goal.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:41 AM   #105
Dazrin
Wizard

I finished book #9 tonight and got my page total over 2,500 to keep on track with my goal.

February is surprisingly my best month for number of books over the last 7 years so hopefully that keeps up (third best for number of pages). I blame the weather.

I will start Passing by Nella Larsen in the morning to get ready for the New Leaf Book Club discussion on the 15th.