Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #421
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Looks like quite an impressive note-taker in the video.
Very tempting in that regard. However, I think an 8" device would be a better size for taking notes. A 6.8" screen just doesn't offer enough real estate to make it all that useful.

I'd also be worried a little about some of the other sepcs on the device. They seem to be the same as for their 13.3" device, and there have been some frustrated users of that ereader.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #422
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Good Ereader's behavior seems to have similarities of a criminal? Who was ripped of their 'vaporware'?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #423
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Good Ereader's behavior seems to have similarities of a criminal? Who was ripped of their 'vaporware'?
Criminal? Vaporware?

I'm not so certain. They have been delivering on the 13.3" device offered in their Indiegogo campaign albeit quite slowly and not without mishaps. And I imagine that they will deliver on this new 6.8" device offered on Kickstarter should they meet their target and it looks like they will seeing as how they are already 33% there.

Unethical or inept might be more suitable adjectives to describe them. They made a number of promises on their 13.3" campaign which they have yet to deliver on and may well be unable to do so such as promising to upgrade the firmware to Android 5 and supplying the source code for the device. They also allowed backers to think that there was a USB host controller in the device despite knowing for more than 10 months that there wasn't and that there would be no way to hook up an external keyboard to the device.

And for this newest campaign, they have said that the shipping fee to Holland includes taxes and duties. I wonder if that is possible. Whenever I have ordered an item from overseas, the shipper has always made very clear in advance that any import taxes and duties are my responsibility.

Quote:
michael kozlowski Creator 2 days ago

Yes, this includes taxes and duties.

Paul Dénis Mannot 2 days ago

Shipping to Holland is very expensive: CA 94 dollar. Does it include tax or duties?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eader/comments
Old 05-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #424
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Unethical or inept might be more suitable adjectives to describe them. They made a number of promises on their 13.3" campaign which they have yet to deliver on and may well be unable to do so such as promising to upgrade the firmware to Android 5 and supplying the source code for the device. They also allowed backers to think that there was a USB host controller in the device despite knowing for more than 10 months that there wasn't and that there would be no way to hook up an external keyboard to the device.
Yeah, I don't think they're scheming to rip people off. I just think that, like certain presidents, they think things will be 'easy' then when they're actually running the show they find it isn't.

Quote:
And for this newest campaign, they have said that the shipping fee to Holland includes taxes and duties. I wonder if that is possible. Whenever I have ordered an item from overseas, the shipper has always made very clear in advance that any import taxes and duties are my responsibility.
See your own earlier comment about the USB host controllers. My guess is, once again, they are making 'easy' promises before doing the research to find out what their promise entails.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #425
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The device looks innovative. A 6.8" note-taking reader with a stylus and (apparently) good software. They may have identified an untapped niche.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #426
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The device looks innovative. A 6.8" note-taking reader with a stylus and (apparently) good software. They may have identified an untapped niche.
I think it's their reputation for sloppy and error riddled information in the past coupled with their performance on their previous crowd funded devices (remember when they were trying to offer a 6" e-reader? And the 13.3" one has multiple complaints) that are keeping people skeptical.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #427
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think it's their reputation for sloppy and error riddled information in the past coupled with their performance on their previous crowd funded devices (remember when they were trying to offer a 6" e-reader? And the 13.3" one has multiple complaints) that are keeping people skeptical.
Oh, I agree. But I do respect their drive to try something new. I'll be interested to see how well the 6.8" works, and how well it sells, if it ever goes into production. I know of no reasonably-priced device that matches its note-taking functionality. But I wouldn't buy from them

Last edited by Pajamaman; 05-03-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #428
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I'll be interested to see how well the 6.8" works, and how well it sells, if it ever goes into production.
The initial response to this campaign was impressive and I was certain that they would meet their goal. However, the interest seems to have tapered off and they have been stuck at about 34% for some days now.

Although there is still plenty of time left in their campaign, I now seriously wonder whether or not they will make it. Perhaps their reputation and their handling of the 13.3" campaign is catching up to them...

Quote:
I know of no reasonably-priced device that matches its note-taking functionality. But I wouldn't buy from them
The note taking functionality does look quite impressive, and the price isn't unreasonable. Were it anybody else putting this device forward, I might be sorely tempted despite it being slightly smaller in size than I would like and despite some of the other specs being less than ideal.

If it were somebody more reliable putting this device forward, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the inevitable bugs popping up. A quick look through these forums shows that all new devices seem to have them.

What concerns me is their ability to sort such bugs and defects out. Being told to run a hair dryer over the back of the device to sort out a rattling sound, as was suggested in their 13.3" campaign, doesn't quite cut it.

Tags
goodereader bad