Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2014, 03:48 AM   #1
Stridr
Stridr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Does the Kobo Aura have something similar to Kindle Paperwhite's "page flip" feature?

I'm trying to decide between the Kobo Aura and the Kindle Paperwhite v.2. I have a lot of books that are in epub format, and so this makes the Kobo Aura tempting. Another big plus for me is that the Aura has 4 gb of memory and the ability to expand memory with an sd card.

So assuming the interface is as good as nearly as good as the Kindle Paperwhite v.2, that would be my choice.

Unfortunately, I don't have anyway to to "test drive" an Aura. It's not carried by any local stores, and I don't know anyone who has one.

I have had some experience with the Kindle Paperwhite v.2. I bought one as a gift for my Mom and spent some time putting books on it and playing around with it before giving it away.

My plan was to get one for myself also if I really liked it. However, I found it was more of a pain than I expected to conver the epubs to Kindle files. I was able to do it, but it would be real inconvenience to have to do this continually. Also, the memory of the Kindle filled up real fast. And while things worked fine at first, there were problems within a week... Turns out that for the Kindle to operate properly, you need to leave a lot of free space in the memory, because Kindle needs to fill this with various system files.

But I basically liked the Kindle's interface, most especially it's "page flip" feature. that lets you stay on the page you are on, while simultaneously flipping forwards or backwards in the book. (While you are flipping forwards or backwards in this mode, you're in a new somewhat smaller window, imposed on top of the existing page. The effect is similar to being able to just keep your current page in a "real" paper book by keeping your finger there, while you temporarily go backwards or forwards to check something.)

Does the Aura have a feature like this?

Also, generally, how does the Aura's interface compare with the Kindles? Is it in the same ballpark when it comes to performance and convenience?

I spend enough time screwing around with settings, troubleshooting, etc. on my smartphone and on my computers. When I want to read, I just want to spend my time reading without having to fiddle around with anything, so a I favor a smooth, reliable interface that will work "out of the box" without requiring me to do lots of tweaking, etc.

Does the Kobo Aura fit the bill on this?

Last edited by Stridr; 03-03-2014 at 03:49 AM. Reason: correct grammer
Stridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kobo forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2014, 04:04 AM   #3
Stridr
Stridr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Maybe I should used a different subject heading, because I guess my real question is "Which one should I buy?" at least between the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kobo Aura. That's why I originally posted in the "Which one should I buy" thread...

While I think I'm leaning towards the Aura due its support of epub files and also its larger and more expandable memory, I have not been able to handle one myself. And there is a lot I liked about the Paperwhite, so it is still a very strong contender.

I'm really hoping to hear from people who have been able to get some hands on experience with both brands.
Stridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 AM   #4
ppulle
ppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo
Hi,
The kobo doesn't have the page flip feature, but it sounds cool. Maybe one of the side loaded readers you can run does?
Only thing you might not like us the slightly less contrast without the backlight due to the cap screen. However you can just adjust the backlight to whiten things up.
Check my recent mini review, summary is at first I didn't like the screen, but it doesn't take long to get over it.....love the Aura now.
ppulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It doesn't have a backlight. It has a frontlight, as does the PW. eInk screens can't be backlit for the very simple reason that they are opaque.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
ppulle
ppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo
Doh!....mistyped, you're right, it's a front light.
ppulle is offline   Reply With Quote