Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #16
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I think you'll be surprised. The Nova smoked the Mars in both tests.

The left screenshot is without A2; the right one is with A2 enabled.

I installed YouTube Vanced. First, I tried without A2 enabled. I got essentially a slideshow. With A2 enabled, cartoon videos were very good; live-action were pretty darn close to lifelike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-02_152022.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	168128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-02_153521.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	168129  
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #17
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
WOW!

I was expecting something more like both being at almost the same level, but this is so surprising. It seems Onyx is doing something good with the firmware, even with all the bugs it has. With the double of cores of Nova the Mars does the half...

You are the one who have both ereaders, so tell us. Don't you see this very huge difference of benchmark points translated to a better, more fluid experience? A faster apps openings maybe? Makes this easier to you take you a decision about which are you going to return?

For me, who has the Mars, I am really thinking in to send back it and buy the Nova. The only think I don't like about the Nova is it doesn't has microSD card, but for the rest Nova wins. I am going to think it tomorrow, and if I still am in the returning days of Aliexpress maybe I...

Thanks for the YouTube Vanced test. I knew this result was so predictable having a older model capable of that. I am going to investigate a little about the so different GPU results.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #18
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The main downside to the Nova for me is also the lack of a microSD card slot. I have a 128 gb microSD card in my Mars, even though I'll never come close to filling it! However, I believe that the 32 gb of internal storage in the Nova will be more than enough for my uses. I've loaded most of what I want on the Nova and I'm using about 6 gb of internal storage.

As for bugs, the Mars had its share when it was released in September. Two or three firmware updates addressed most of the issues. Boyue seems to be more responsive to their customers than they used to be. Onyx can do the same with the Nova over the next month or two, if they wish. But the Nova, at this early stage, has fewer bugs than the Mars did at the same early stage.

As for performance - if we're only talking reading ebooks, people won't see any difference between these two. However, I do see a difference when I am opening apps and when using the couple of apps I have that are more resource-intensive. In both cases, the Nova is quicker.

People who own the Mars report different degrees of orange in the "warm" lighting. Mine is fairly pale, while some say theirs is too orange. My Nova is more orange than my Mars, and I find it a little better for reading for any length of time.

Onyx needs to better integrate Play Store in the Nova. I can download apps but Play Store doesn't not "remember" which apps I already own, and wants me to pay for them. In their firmware 2.0, Onyx has chosen to move away from the home screen concept and offer a different setup, with tabs/icons along the left edge of the display for 'library', 'apps', 'settings', and so on. I preferred the older setup, but it's no biggie.

Some people report poor WiFi on their Nova, but mine seems just fine.

I do flip back and forth, but I always end up leaning a little in the Nova's direction. The Nova weighs a little less than the Mars as well, which is a nice plus.

People will do well with either device. But if I were pressed to pick one, the Nova would edge out the Mars.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #19
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Ok now I understand it. Let me talk a little about the different processors they have:

NOVA: 1'6GHz quad-core, CORTEX-A17, 32bits, architecture ARMv7-A
MARS: 1'4Ghz octa-core, CORTEX-A53, 64bits, architecture ARMv8-A

At first glance it could seem the Mars has a much better processor, but if you look it carefully we realize it's not this way. L1 and L2 cache of Nova's CPU are much bigger than the one on Mars, and not only this, also the CORTEX-A53 can be slower than the very old CORTEX-A9 when it has high frequencies. Check this link if you want more info and a graphic that is self-explanatory: https://www.cnx-software.com/2015/04...-64-bit-cores/

So it's true in the Nova we doesn't have the 64 bits, but it has a high perfomance 32bits processor, and this makes bite the dust to the octa-core 64bits CPU of the Mars. Also, I think the CORTEX-A53 is meant more to device which need more power saving, but I am not completlly sure about this.

About the GPU, I checked the Mars has the POWERVR ROGUE G6110, and can't compare it with the one in Nova because I didn't find it. Sure this was because that info isn't imoprtant to anyone because this is an eReader, but once we started to compare we have to do it well. Also, if you want to manage large pdf with graphics, open really big resolution image or websurf really fast it is important.

Despite all of that info, Mars is a really good eReader, and it's fast and fits my needs to use it as a eInk tablet. SInce I got it I didn't used it to read any single line, I have the ONyx C67ML for that. Instead of this I websurf a lot, download torrents, VNC connections, etc I can recommend it to anyone, even if there is one which is faster, because it's true it isn't the most fast, but it is the 2nd faster eReader in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The main downside to the Nova for me is also the lack of a microSD card slot. I have a 128 gb microSD card in my Mars.....
That's the weak point of Nova, but as it has 32GB of internal storage it seems also ok for me, and installing the Mega cloud app and WIFI FIle Transfer app for me fix the major parts of the problems. Sometimes is also good to have the microSD slot for updating purposes, but it can be workaround it

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
People who own the Mars report different degrees of orange in the "warm" lighting. Mine is fairly pale, while some say theirs is too orange. My Nova is more orange than my Mars, and I find it a little better for reading for any length of time.
I read that, and you can add me to that list of the non orange light. Mine is more pale than anything, but anyways it's ok for me. Maybe I prefer it this way than much more orange.

So as I want the eReader to be used as a tablet and with also being able to watch punctually youtube videos I am going to return the Mars and buy the Nova. I don't like to return device that work well, and this works very well, but as I am going to give to it an extensive use I will notice the difference. What are you going to do downeaster?

Last edited by eReader fan; 12-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #20
downeaster59
Wizard

I just installed Mixed Light Control (free) from the Onyx App Store on the Nova. The app allows you to blend the 'cool' and 'warm' light to get just the shade you want. Excellent. I can fine tune the orange to where the contrast is best for my eyes. The Mars was a little better at contrast because its warm light is more pale. But this app lets me adjust the Nova's light to whatever 'temperature' I like.

I'm in no hurry to make a decision as to which ereader I keep. Once I do, I'll probably sell the other one. It'll be in practically new condition. I could sell it on eBay or in the appropriate forum on MobileRead.

Edit: One annoying glitch in the Nova: when I open Play Store, every now and then it wants me to sign in (again) to my Google account. I hope an update will fix this.

Last edited by downeaster59; 12-03-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #21
downeaster59
Wizard

The latest update to the Nova has fixed the Google Play Store glitch, and has improved refresh for third party apps that scroll text. The front light control is improved, so that you can dial in the precise mix of warm and cool light that will please your eyes the most.

These improvements make the Nova the winner for me, in spite of the larger storage capacity of the Mars (if you factor in the microSD card slot and adoptable storage). The Mars is still very good, and you won't go wrong with one. But the Nova is the better device now.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #22
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Neither have page turn buttons. What a shame that its (current year) and they can sell a $300 device without such a simple addon.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #23
LKwok
LKwok began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi downeaster59 and eReader fan,

Thanks for the comparison info, it is indeed very useful!

May I ask for your further review on the Nova's battery life, audio quality and is TTS working well? As Nova did not have the card slot, I may have to connect to Dropbox or OneDrive if I need more storage and besides reading book I would like to surf the web with it too.....I hope the battery life isn't too bad when connected to wifi. And will OTG works with Nova? I also didn't like it if the device gets hot when I used it for a longer period of time.

I am using my ipad air for reading all the time but the weight is killing me and it certainly isn't good for my eyes. I going to get my first e-reader and having an Andriod version is great so that I can access books from the Chinese Apps too!

Your information has greatly helped me decide between the Mars and Nova. I am suprised that youtube works on an e-ink device. Now I have narrowed my choice to Nova (7.8" + 32G) or the smaller size Poke Pro (6" + 16GB). The Poke Pro used the same processor as Nova, I guess Youtube Vanced should work well on it too? If someone has a Poke Pro, please share with us the performance of the Poke Pro too!

By the way, sidetrack from topic....there is this new "Not-eReader" by DASUNG which caught my eyes too! It can mirror Andriod and PC while functioning as a Android e-reader at the same time and they invented a e-ink Turbo high-speed refresh technology to play videos very smoothly. It was now having a crowd funding at indiegogo but the price is just way too expensive for me to pay for the extra speed for videos.

Last edited by LKwok; 01-01-2019 at 08:31 AM.
LKwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #24
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKwok View Post
Hi downeaster59 and eReader fan,

Thanks for the comparison info, it is indeed very useful!

May I ask for your further review on the Nova's battery life, audio quality and is TTS working well? As Nova did not have the card slot, I may have to connect to Dropbox or OneDrive if I need more storage and besides reading book I would like to surf the web with it too.....I hope the battery life isn't too bad when connected to wifi. And will OTG works with Nova? I also didn't like it if the device gets hot when I used it for a longer period of time.

I am using my ipad air for reading all the time but the weight is killing me and it certainly isn't good for my eyes. I going to get my first e-reader and having an Andriod version is great so that I can access books from the Chinese Apps too!

Your information has greatly helped me decide between the Mars and Nova. I am suprised that youtube works on an e-ink device. Now I have narrowed my choice to Nova (7.8" + 32G) or the smaller size Poke Pro (6" + 16GB). The Poke Pro used the same processor as Nova, I guess Youtube Vanced should work well on it too? If someone has a Poke Pro, please share with us the performance of the Poke Pro too!

By the way, sidetrack from topic....there is this new "Not-eReader" by DASUNG which caught my eyes too! It can mirror Andriod and PC while functioning as a Android e-reader at the same time and they invented a e-ink Turbo high-speed refresh technology to play videos very smoothly. It was now having a crowd funding at indiegogo but the price is just way too expensive for me to pay for the extra speed for videos.
Sorry, but I can't tell you anything about TTS, audio or OTG, as I don't use any of these on my Nova or Mars. I can tell you something about battery life, though. Because Android itself consumes a little more power than the OS of a dedicated e-reader like a Kindle or Kobo, battery life won't be quite as good as in those devices. But it is good compared to the typical LED Android tablet. I can't give you specific numbers, though.

Normally, when I read, I have WiFi off, which extends battery life. Based on the rate of battery discharge when reading, I can say that either device would get about 15-20 hours on a charge when reading and with WiFi off. That isn't too far from Kindle territory.

Maybe someone who has tried TTS/audio/OTG will respond as well.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #25
Nicolasasp
Nicolasasp began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova, Likebook Mars
Hi, everyone.

First, I'm brazilian and my English isn't very good, so sorry for this.

I am searching information of these two devices for a long period of time, and cannot decide which one I should buy. My main use for it would be to read pdf files. My professors send me many files, and most of them have a poor quality. I have a Kindle Paperwhite since a few years, but for these pdfs it is not satisfactory, because of its small size, so I'm looking for a bigger device. My first choice was Boox Note or Max 2, but them cost too much, and I live in Brazil, the importation taxes increases a minimum of 60% to the products price.

So, I'd like to know which one (between Mars and Nova) provides a better pdf's reading experience. I read in a review that Mars' pdf reading isn't as good as the Nova's, but I'd like to confirm that information.

downeaster59, if Nova does really supports pdf better than Mars, do you think this worth the price difference, in my case?

Thank you very much! Have a good day
Nicolasasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #26
Nicolasasp

downeaster59,

I forgot to ask one thing:

I saw that the Note and the Max 2 have a multi-tab option for pdf reading (I attached a image as example). It seems to let us open up to 4 pdf files at same time, tapping on each one's tab to switch between them. This would be a great advantage for me. Can you check if Nova also have this functionality?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onyx Boox multi-tab.png
Views:	437
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	168834  
Old 01-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #27
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolasasp View Post
downeaster59,

I forgot to ask one thing:

I saw that the Note and the Max 2 have a multi-tab option for pdf reading (I attached a image as example). It seems to let us open up to 4 pdf files at same time, tapping on each one's tab to switch between them. This would be a great advantage for me. Can you check if Nova also have this functionality?

Thank you!
Sorry to be late with my response. A dear friend died recently, so I've been a little distracted.

Yes, the Nova provides a better pdf reading experience than the Mars, but the Mars comes close. If you are only looking at pdf performance, then I can't say that the Nova is enough of an improvement to justify the price difference between the two devices. Other factors would make me choose the Nova - better overall performance, and better front light controls, to name only two.

The Nova weighs a little less than the Mars, which may help for long periods of reading.

The Mars has the advantage of a microSD card slot, so you could have more pdfs on your device - if that is important for you.

Either device will work much better for pdfs than a 6 inch display, because you get much more screen. You would do even better with something the size of a Note, but that is not in your price range.

I can't find a multi-tab option for viewing pdfs on my Nova. If anyone else has found it, please let us know.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #28
Nicolasasp

I'm very sorry for your friend...

Thank you very much for your help, I decided to go with Nova. Your informations helped me a lot. I'm glad I found this forum.

Thank you!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #29
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Likebook Mars got it today from Amazon. I expected to be rather slow or throttled after seeing those performance charts discussed on this thread. But surprisingly its a decent device for the price. So far very impressed plays youtube videos (good enough for me) and mostly everything. The audio plays too via the headphone jack. Managed to install many 3rd party apps.
I dont have Onyx Boox Nova but I have to say I was impressed with the speed, I have an Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro (4Gb RAM). I would say that the browsing experience was comparable. Very happy with both devices. I am intending to use my Likebook Mars during the night with its backlight and my Onyx Boox Max 2 as my primary device. I will test if I can type on Likebook Mars with my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. Overall, a lovely device, nice and crisp screen for the price.
The only disadvantage I have seen so far is the battery it drained really rapidly with the wifi turned on. But thats not a big issue for me as I can easily plug it in and charge it. But maybe this side needs to considered.

Last edited by Faeryink; 01-16-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #30
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
I am sending Mars ereader back. Sadly the usb charging port is loose and its no longer charging after a few days of use. Can anyone compare the build quality of the nova vs mars ereaders please!! Particularly the usb charging port. Thanks!!
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote