Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you expect from the new Kindle/s
8" or larger screen 3 13.64%
7 to 8" screen 5 22.73%
Color temperature control 11 50.00%
Higher resolution 5 22.73%
Note taking feature 1 4.55%
Text to speech 6 27.27%
Alexa addition 2 9.09%
Mobius screen tech 2 9.09%
Basic Kindle replacement 0 0%
Paperwhite replacement 9 40.91%
Voyage replacement 4 18.18%
Oasis replacement 2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
New Kindle/s next week?

What do you expect from Amazon?
  • 8" or larger device
  • 7 to 8" device
  • Color temperature control
  • Higher resolution
  • Note taking feature
  • Text to speech
  • Alexa addition
  • Basic Kindle upgrade
  • Paperwhite replacement
  • Voyage replacement
  • Oasis replacement
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
A modified PW for the chinese market.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have no idea but I'm eagerly awaiting the news. What I want is a Paperwhite that has a good Amazon cover, like the current Paperwhite, and will fit in my pocket, like the current Paperwhite, and doesn't have legacy clutter like page buttons, and does have better lighting like the newer models and has an easily accessible power switch like the newer models, and isn't competing with Apple for ridiculous prices.

I don't know why a Kobo user thinks a new Kindle will be for the Chinese market. Kobo hasn't tailored it's hardware to the Canadian market, fortunately. Who wants a mandatory dual-language Kindle?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I don't know why a Kobo user thinks a new Kindle will be for the Chinese market. Kobo hasn't tailored it's hardware to the Canadian market, fortunately. Who wants a mandatory dual-language Kindle?
I think he was making a joke about the rumored Kindle news today released in China.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Hoping for a Paperwhite replacement. It's long overdue. I expect to see Text to speech or at the very least, Audible support to bring it in line with the basic Kindle.

I'm also hoping for color temperature control and higher storage option for the Paperwhite (e.g. 32GB Manga model in Japan).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been losing hope on their efforts since they have the market so locked in they can put in minimal effort and cost and still sell, but one can hope. I'd like a Paperwhite/Voyage hybrid, or updated Paperwhite and Voyage replacement, or something entirely new, but considering they are mainly promoting Echos and Alexas this year and released what they consider superior (Oasis 2) last year, I don't think we're going to get anything surprising and innovative.

They have had a lot of chances to bring us Color Temperature screens in the lower priced e-ink models like other companies the past few years, but have not. It's a nice thought they will finally introduce something but they may stay consistent and not bother with it.

Since they are into promoting more of their Audiobooks now and added Bluetooth to Oasis, it's possible they may try to add it to cheaper models. On one hand it makes sense since they own Audible and such so would want more people to use more audiobooks, even with the cheaper readers....but on the other hand they may want to keep it to the more expensive models to sell those since Audiobooks are so popular. I really have no idea what Amazon is thinking with this or will do.

Knowing my luck everything I personally don't care about will be added, and the features I want will still be over there in fantasy land waving at me.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Hoping for a Paperwhite replacement. It's long overdue. I expect to see Text to speech or at the very least, Audible support to bring it in line with the basic Kindle.

I'm also hoping for color temperature control and higher storage option for the Paperwhite (e.g. 32GB Manga model in Japan).
I still have the Text-to-speech with my ancient Fire. I like the feature as well, although rarely used. I was always bummed they removed these features with newer releases. Would be a nice feature to add on the Paperwhite.

If they STILL aren't going to add Waterproofing to the Paperwhite, would be nice to at least get headphones with text-to-speech and expandable storage slot.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Much as I would like to see Text to speech return, I don't think it lead to increased content purchases...that Amazon always pushes.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I've been losing hope on their efforts since they have the market so locked in they can put in minimal effort and cost and still sell, but one can hope. I'd like a Paperwhite/Voyage hybrid, or updated Paperwhite and Voyage replacement, or something entirely new, but considering they are mainly promoting Echos and Alexas this year and released what they consider superior (Oasis 2) last year, I don't think we're going to get anything surprising and innovative.

They have had a lot of chances to bring us Color Temperature screens in the lower priced e-ink models like other companies the past few years, but have not. It's a nice thought they will finally introduce something but they may stay consistent and not bother with it.
Personally I was absolutely delighted with the Oasis 2 - for my needs it's the best Kindle model so far. I guess that just goes to show that we all have different ideas of what constitutes a good device.

The colour temperature of the current screen seems just fine to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
Much as I would like to see Text to speech return, I don't think it lead to increased content purchases...that Amazon always pushes.
This is true and may take away from some audiobook sales, which is one reason they may have gotten rid of it on newer devices.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I was absolutely delighted with the Oasis 2 - for my needs it's the best Kindle model so far. I guess that just goes to show that we all have different ideas of what constitutes a good device.

I'm probably sounding picky. I'm not saying they didn't put a lot of effort into the Oasis 2, but it didn't fit my needs due to the shape and size not being comfortable to me. I'd like some of the features (like waterproofing) in a size similar to the paperwhite and voyage. I get it's hard to do headphone jacks with the waterproofing, but again that's not a dealbreaker for me anyway since I rarely listen to audio on e-readers.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
Steve H
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

The Oasis is my favorite device so far but if Amazon makes a larger Oasis type device I will buy it.
Having once owned a Kindle DX I find I really appreciate a larger screen.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The issue with large-screen eInk devices is the lighting. There's a physical limit to what sidelighting can achieve. I've not personally seen any reader larger than 7" with what I'd consider acceptable lighting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
Steve H
Connoisseur

Probably true-My Oasis is flawless...hopefully they can stretch out screen size a little and come close.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #15
scoot.at
FlapJack
scoot.at began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Onyx Boox Note
Did you try Kobo Aura One? It has 7.8'' screen and has a perfect light system.
scoot.at is offline   Reply With Quote